The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

4rnnr33's 94 excab build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuprman13
Looks good man! Nice job on everything, are you gonna be able to convert your on-board air to work with the new engine?

Thanks. And I havent really figured out the air yet but ill start looking into it once the engine swap is all buttoned up
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cant believe i missed this thread!!! sick nasty yota my friend. those 37s on 17s look pretty slick. got any wheelin pics of it?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
subscribed,
Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM

The more i see diesel swaps the more i love'em
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys I have quite a bit more done then i have posted and even took it for a drive. Ill try and get pics this weekend. I basically just have the exhaust, intake, glow plug system and some minor bugs to fix before its driveable and i just bought new injectors so im waiting on those as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by yoder519
cant believe i missed this thread!!! sick nasty yota my friend. those 37s on 17s look pretty slick. got any wheelin pics of it?
Thanks and no i really dont have any good wheeling pics of it I always forget to bring my camera
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
man...why isn't my truck like yours? that thing is sick. i need to get on top of things. any future plans to do like a veggie oil setup on that thing? maybe some propane injection?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
man...why isn't my truck like yours? that thing is sick. i need to get on top of things. any future plans to do like a veggie oil setup on that thing? maybe some propane injection?
I probably wont too veggie oil just because I mainly wheel it in the snow and veggie oil and the cold dont mix verry well and I havent looked into propane.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

well got quite a bit done this weekend. Exhaust is done and got a bunch of little things buttoned up heres some pics.

Wrapped the downpipe with fiberglass wrap to try and keep the heat down

Heres how the radiator turned out VERY TIGHT to say the least

Hood pins

Toyota oil pressure sending unit adapted to the mercedes oil port

Throttle with lokar carb style adapter

Some random shots

Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Another of the hood pins and another crappy video

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Wow man, you truely know your ˟˟˟˟. I am very impressed with the swap. I just swapped my 3.slo to the 3.4 v6 and i had contemplated going diesel first but decided against it because i read they are pretty complex. congrats on a sick truck. Im jealous
Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 AM

Very nice, you are doing a good job with it...quick question, just wondering why you choose a mercedes engine vs like a hilux...I think it is cool either way, just wondering...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuprman13
Very nice, you are doing a good job with it...quick question, just wondering why you choose a mercedes engine vs like a hilux...I think it is cool either way, just wondering...
Primarily availability and cost. The mercedes engines are cheap and easy to find the toyotas (from what ive seen) are the exact opposite. Plus the mercedes is super simple, only takes 2 wires to run, and they are known for their reliability.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 91SR5PU
Wow man, you truely know your ˟˟˟˟. I am very impressed with the swap. I just swapped my 3.slo to the 3.4 v6 and i had contemplated going diesel first but decided against it because i read they are pretty complex. congrats on a sick truck. Im jealous
Thanks and I had actually thought about doing a 3.4 but ruled it out because of how much more was involved compared to the diesel
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 AM

i see, well that definitely makes sense....lmao
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

haha no way? you think that the diesel swap is probably easier to do then bumping up to the 3.4? although you were probably swapping out a 22re huh? i swapped out a 3.slo
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

haha no way? you think that the diesel swap is probably easier to do then bumping up to the 3.4? although you were probably swapping out a 22re huh? i swapped out a 3.slo
Ya I had the 22re. If I were doing this in a v6 truck i would say the difficulty would be the same between the diesel and a 3.4. This would be a swap perfect for someone who wants nothing to do with wiring(like myself) but not a good swap for someone who doesnt want to fabricate nearly every single piece for the swap. I am lucky though because I work at a steel shop and theres a machine shop next door owned by the same person so I got the steel and machine work for this project for next to nothing. The hardest part with this was trying to fit the radiator other than that everything was pretty easy.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnnr33
Ya I had the 22re. If I were doing this in a v6 truck i would say the difficulty would be the same between the diesel and a 3.4. This would be a swap perfect for someone who wants nothing to do with wiring(like myself) but not a good swap for someone who doesnt want to fabricate nearly every single piece for the swap. I am lucky though because I work at a steel shop and theres a machine shop next door owned by the same person so I got the steel and machine work for this project for next to nothing. The hardest part with this was trying to fit the radiator other than that everything was pretty easy.
Oh yea for sure, i did hate the wiring but unfortunately i dont really have the tools to fab things up the right way so i guess im glad i went with the 3.4. plus i live in Cali and i doubt its legal to run the diesel here like that but i dont know. But im glad it worked out well for you man
Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Oh yea for sure, i did hate the wiring but unfortunately i dont really have the tools to fab things up the right way so i guess im glad i went with the 3.4. plus i live in Cali and i doubt its legal to run the diesel here like that but i dont know. But im glad it worked out well for you man
Ya I would imagine the diesel would be hard to get through California emissions. And thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Well I got it pretty much all buttoned up this weekend and have drove it yesterday and today. Everything is going good so far except Im pretty sure im going to have to drop the tranny back out and get the flywheel match balanced, it vibrates quite a bit at idle and higher RPMs. Other than that theres a few small oil leaks to fix. The only other thing Ive noticed is that even with my ALDA adjusted all the way out I still get no black smoke so I think I might not be getting enough fuel maybe? The only thing I can think of is that I didnt take out the stock in tank fuel pump so maybe thats restricting flow? Anyways heres some pics

Notched the oil pan to clear draglink. Got super lucky on this because I didnt have to modify the pickup.

About 3/8" of clearance with suspension maxed out

Rebuilt injectors installed\

New primer pump installed

Gauges all hooked up (Still need to hook up water temp)

And a random one

Quick Reply: 4rnnr33's 94 excab build