The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottz
Yep, that's partly true, I have had the shocks on for a year or so and got 11" of travel with stock links. When I installed the upper 3link it increased to 13" and when I did the lower links and everything being desighned 1" longer it increased to 14" with shocks deconnected. Anymore then this is almost impossible. As of now I run at 12" do to the limits of 12" shocks mounted 1:1. when I change to Coilovers I will get the full 14" with 12" travel shocks mounted at an angle.
I have to disagree about the shocks being the only limiting factor although they are a large part of it, when I started this project it was clear that if I was going to increase the travel I would have to get rid of the panhard bar and all the stock rubber mounted links, they start to bind up at 11" of travel and it was clear to me that the rubber inside the links would start to rip apart since they don't pivot and twist instead, and once the panhard bar swings everthing to the right it would make my drive shaft rub my gas tank and left tire rub the frame which also limited it.
Another factor is the coil spring, My Downey HDs start to drop out of the spring buckets at 12" and yeah I could put a spring spacer in there so it would give me alittle more drop, but in doing so I would have to limit the up travel so I don't bind the coil under bottoming which then wouldn't be any gain in travel.

So in short I had 11" with stock links and 12" travel shocks , and with 3link I got 14" with it being limited to 12" as of now but not for long!!!.

3link got 3" travel gain over stock and alot of other possibiltes are now out there, like my recently installed Aux Gas Tank.

Heres NEW PIC's
That's what I wanted to hear. I agree completely. Man, what kind of tank did you make or use that tucks up that high? That is really, really tight! Do you have a big body lift?

Chris
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tank is from Downey off road, It's the one for pick-up's that holds 13 Gallons. The 4runner tank was less at 11 gal. but more expensive. When I got it they said it wouldn't fit a 4Runner but they had no idea what I was about to do. I removed the stock spare carrier crossmember and the crossmember that held the Panhard bar which gave all the room and more for getting the tank up high and the 1-1/2" body lift helped when it was time to make the two crossmembers that the tank would mount too.
The pic shows what it looked like just as I got done cutting them out.

Last edited by Scottz; 09-26-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 AM

The Tank is from Downey off road, It's the one for pick-up's that holds 13 Gallons. The 4runner tank was less at 11 gal. but more expensive. When I got it they said it wouldn't fit a 4Runner but they had no idea what I was about to do. I removed the stock spare carrier crossmember and the crossmember that held the Panhard bar which gave all the room and more for getting the tank up high and the 1-1/2" body lift helped when it was time to make the two crossmembers that the tank would mount too.
The pic shows what it looked like just as I got done cutting them out.
I'm not a big fan of the 13 gallon size, but I'm a huge fan of having it tucked up in there so well. You'll never drag that thing, which is nice. Mine has 21 gallons, definitely hangs down a lot lower, but I've yet to have it hang me up. If I begin to notice getting hung up on it, I'll definitely consider this tank. Do you know if they happen to have a slightl larger tank, maybe around 15-17 gallon range that's only slightly deeper?

Chris
Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ravencr
I'm not a big fan of the 13 gallon size, but I'm a huge fan of having it tucked up in there so well. You'll never drag that thing, which is nice. Mine has 21 gallons, definitely hangs down a lot lower, but I've yet to have it hang me up. If I begin to notice getting hung up on it, I'll definitely consider this tank. Do you know if they happen to have a slightl larger tank, maybe around 15-17 gallon range that's only slightly deeper?

Chris
I agree it would be nice at 15 gallons, I don't think they have anything larger, they design there stuff to work with a spare under it (alotta good a spare will do ya draging on the ground but that's how they do it).
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM

I agree it would be nice at 15 gallons, I don't think they have anything larger, they design there stuff to work with a spare under it (alotta good a spare will do ya draging on the ground but that's how they do it).
That's interesting. I guess if you wanted to get real fancy you could always add another tank ni the old tank location that tucked nicely up above the frame rails if you wanted, but just a thought.

Chris

P.S. I'm not knocking your design. I actually love it, kind of jealous of it really.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Cebby and I talked about the possibility of using a previa or some other toyota tank there, but we had trouble finding measurements. Might be worth looking into and would probably be cheaper. Those tanks are $$$
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

scottz- do you have the measurements for the space in between the frame rails and the height available for a tank?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 AM

3Link Update

Still Going Strong, Put another 238 hard off road miles on it last weekend and 180 a couple of weeks before out "Mine hunting in Mojave Desert" check the Thread.https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...768#post683768

NEW PIC
Attached Thumbnails 3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar-mojvmines67.jpg  

Last edited by Scottz; 09-27-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 PM

Still Going Strong, Put another 238 hard off road miles on it last weekend and 180 a couple of weeks before out "Mine hunting in Mojave Desert" check the Thread.https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...768#post683768

NEW PIC
Do you ever do any slow speed rock crawling, or all high speed stuff?

Chris
Old 09-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Do you ever do any slow speed rock crawling, or all high speed stuff?

Chris
Will it 's hard to say, I do alot of both, I use my 4Runner to chase at Desert races which will be high speed on the race course at times to running around on fire type roads to beat the race truck to the next Pit, and sometimes the race course can look alot like a rock crawling trail. But what I perfer is to cruise at slow to mid speeds and as far as rock crawling I do that only when a trail calls for it , I don't go out looking to climb a hill unless there is a mine or ruins to see at the top. In other words I like to go out to explore at what ever speed the road allows without being on the edge of disaster. Scott

Last edited by Scottz; 09-27-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Praufet
scottz- do you have the measurements for the space in between the frame rails and the height available for a tank?
Sorry I did't see your second post. I don't recall exactly but I would say about 35" across and you can go about 12" deep at the area closest to the diff and about 9" at the very rear to keep it tucked up nice and there's room to go alittle bigger if you can keep the clearance. Ive been following BruceTS thread on his tank build up, from what it looks like he's going to get alot of cap. with still keeping the ground clearance. I was thinking of doing the same but the roll cage took longer then expected so do to time I just got the "Already Made and is to Darn Expensive Tank" (you could build 4 tanks for the price Downey wants for 1 of there aux tanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Why'd you pull all the pics of the buildup?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Yeah, im wondering the same thing...just checkin...I wanna do the same thing..
Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM

Photo's

Sorry about pullin the pic's, I was reaching my max storage space and needed to gain some more. I didn't realize anyone was still checking out this thread. Here's some photo's that show the basic's. If you need any to help with building your own, just PM me with your email address and I'll send you some and try and help you. Scott
Attached Thumbnails 3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar-lowerlinks.jpg   3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar-4runr3link.jpg   3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar-auxgastank04.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 12:11 PM

Looks really good.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Looks really good.
Still no problems with the upper frame mounts and vertically mounted heim at the top of the axle?

Chris
Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 PM

Still no problems with the upper frame mounts and vertically mounted heim at the top of the axle?

Chris
No, none what so ever, Over 15,000 miles and more then a few thousand hard off road miles since I put it on, and I don't believe I will ever have any problems with this set up. If anything was stressed it would of shown some signs by now, so it's good to go.

Here's a Pic I just took.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar-3link092905.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 08:09 PM

No, none what so ever, Over 15,000 miles and more then a few thousand hard off road miles since I put it on, and I don't believe I will ever have any problems with this set up. If anything was stressed it would of shown some signs by now, so it's good to go.

Here's a Pic I just took.
Do you have any closeup pics of how you beefed up the upper link frame mounts? I like the setup, and would like to do something very similar on my 3rd gen. What do you think?

Chris
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 PM

Do you have any closeup pics of how you beefed up the upper link frame mounts? I like the setup, and would like to do something very similar on my 3rd gen. What do you think?

Chris
I think there's no reason why this type of set up wouldn't work on all linked 4Runners. Since the set ups are basicly the same. I don't think any of them would be inner-changable with other Gens though. Next time I'm under there I'll get some picks of the gussets for ya.

Last edited by Scottz; 10-06-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:54 AM

I think there's no reason why this type of set up wouldn't work on all linked 4Runners. Since the set ups are basicly the same. I don't think any of them would be inner-changable with other Gens though. Next time I'm under there I'll get some picks of the gussets for ya.

Thanks man!

Chris

Quick Reply: 3 Link my 4Runner NO MORE Panhard bar