The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier

I started building a rear bumper/tire carrier today for the 4runner. The main base is 2x5" .180 wall square tubing. All the legs are .250 wall. I still plan on doing the wrap around ends and stuff too.

I went with the Rockstomper tire carrier hinge, but decided to try something different with it. I sleeved the bumper with 1.5" .120 wall tubing, welded top, bottom and inside, then slid the lower pin into it and welded it from the bottom only. I have three friends that have broken the hinge section from the vibration that these go through on a normal basis. I don't think its anything wrong with the Rockstomper hinge itself, but the fatigue the upper welded portion goes through when it gets welded to the bumper, so I figured a sleeve would allow it to disperse the load better. Time will tell.

It was getting dark, so I will get better pics of it as I move through for a good write-up.

Big John came over today and we knocked out almost the whole damn thing. But, we ran out of MIG wire right near the end. This bumper is sick IMO

My bitchin BTF clamp.........[][][][]
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Looks good man! Keep us updated with the finished product and how it holds up. BTW - Love the clamp
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM

looks great! i wish i had those skills, i want a bumper like that for my 3rd gen so bad.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
looks great! i wish i had those skills, i want a bumper like that for my 3rd gen so bad.
Drive up. I'll build ya one.............LOL
Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Drive up. I'll build ya one.............LOL
how much beer is it going to cost? lol but seriously, what does it take to make your own bumper? what training would someone need?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
how much beer is it going to cost? lol but seriously, what does it take to make your own bumper? what training would someone need?
I have a plasma, 230V Welder, 4.5" angle grinder, tape measure, some sharpies, and a chop saw. I think that is all we used in this buildup.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice fab job and beadwork. Will the tire block you rear plate from view or are you going to relocate it? HP in AZ don't like plates blocked from view. Keep posting your progress.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks awesome. I need to learn to weld again some day! Looks like the move to Colorado went with out a hitch,,,
Old 08-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ROCK LIZARD
Nice fab job and beadwork. Will the tire block you rear plate from view or are you going to relocate it? HP in AZ don't like plates blocked from view. Keep posting your progress.
I'll move it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Looks awesome. I need to learn to weld again some day! Looks like the move to Colorado went with out a hitch,,,
Yeah, went very smooth. Took me all of 1mo to buy another 4runner once out here.

I wish I would have just brought that stock 85' I had instead of selling it the week before we moved. But, oh well.

My 88' financed the move out here, but I will eventually build a crawler out of the one above. I already started gather parts for it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice design and fab.

When I did mine, which pails in comparison, I was surprised how much the body moves on the rubber bushings at the body mounts. I can get a good 3/4" of shift on harder rock bumps. Something I didn't realize until I was all done.

Just wondering if you are going to have an issue with the carrier so close? Probably just rub a little on occasion if anything. Looks like you are pretty much done, so I am not sure why I am throwing this out there.

Guess maybe something to consider and if possible increase your riggle room slightly to allow for that body to move a round a bit without hitting anything it shouldn't.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Nice design and fab.

When I did mine, which pails in comparison, I was surprised how much the body moves on the rubber bushings at the body mounts. I can get a good 3/4" of shift on harder rock bumps. Something I didn't realize until I was all done.

Just wondering if you are going to have an issue with the carrier so close? Probably just rub a little on occasion if anything. Looks like you are pretty much done, so I am not sure why I am throwing this out there.

Guess maybe something to consider and if possible increase your riggle room slightly to allow for that body to move a round a bit without hitting anything it shouldn't.
Actually, it been my experience that the tighter the better. It keeps the carrier from vibrating. Also, I have yet to actually weld the tire carrier to the frame yet. So, I can actually take a BFH and pound it back if need be.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I guess you can always adjust it later if a clearance issue develops.

Really like how your wings turned out. Simple but effective.

Is that a tab at the top of the tire carrier? If so, what's it going to be for?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Well, I guess you can always adjust it later if a clearance issue develops.

Really like how your wings turned out. Simple but effective.

Is that a tab at the top of the tire carrier? If so, what's it going to be for?
Was thinking backup light.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great. More pics please!!!!

Esp of the hinge and the latch!

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Looks great. More pics please!!!!

Esp of the hinge and the latch!

Keep up the good work.
Hinge s from Rockstomper.com. Buts its just your typical trailer axle spindle setup. Runs around $45.

I have no latch at this point. Its just a clamp I use for welding for now. I am still waiting on the Destaco setup I ordered which should be here in a few days.

The clamp will work fine for now without anymore weight on the carrier.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Hinge s from Rockstomper.com. Buts its just your typical trailer axle spindle setup. Runs around $45.

I have no latch at this point. Its just a clamp I use for welding for now. I am still waiting on the Destaco setup I ordered which should be here in a few days.

The clamp will work fine for now without anymore weight on the carrier.
Ah. Thats what i thought it looked like. Good luck with it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like this is TOO tight as once you get a vibrating tire on there it is going to break/crack the black plastic on the tail gate that has the key hole for the rear window.

Looks good.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Looks like this is TOO tight as once you get a vibrating tire on there it is going to break/crack the black plastic on the tail gate that has the key hole for the rear window.

Looks good.

Time will tell. I would rather have it crack that plastic that lose anymore departure angle though. I also plan on adding at least three bumper/stopppers to the side. I figure if I disperse the load, it should be fine.

I have pushed very hard against it already and it barely moves at all. I'm 240lbs, so its not like a tire is going to put more pressure on it either.

Last edited by ScottyC; 08-08-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Still waiting on the latch, but I went ahead and mounted everything up and used a ball pin shaft in the meantime to hold it in place. I get ZERO vibes out of it at this point too.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier