Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch Decisions - Warn or Smittybilt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch Decisions - Warn or Smittybilt

Choices are based off 4Wheelparts who are providing deals on both winches

Choice 1) Smittybilt XRC8 Competition Winch that comes with HAWSE fairlead and SYNTHETIC ROPE along with free shipping and free cover

or

Choice 2) Warn m8000 with ROLLER fairlead and WIRE ROPE along with free shipping and upgrade to a WIRELESS CONTROLLER setup

The only reason I'm having problems deciding is bc the XRC8 comes with the hawse fairlead and synthetic line while yes the Warn I can upgrade to the same stuff later but the prices are roughly the same already. I do like the warn wireless controller upgrade though.

So, what would you do?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM

My Smittybuilt eas 1/3 the price of the same size warn. Works for me.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly if you can scrounge up the extra couple of bucks go for the Warn 9.5XP over the M8000. I got stuck on Webster Pass last year in Colorado and hooked my winch to a Ford Diesel Excursion. Well when my runner bit into the mountain that winch had enough power to start dragging the Excursion.

FOG
Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM

ive heard that synthetic line gets cut easily if it gets run across a rock or a tree or something. wire rope is more durable, so maybe you could go with warn. I love my m8000 it has never let me down its pulled out a f250 long bed sunk to its axles in mud loaded to the roof with oak pulling a trailer loaded with oak

Last edited by stockwell45; 03-21-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM

yeah thats all good, but synthetic rope wont kill you when/if it breaks!! I havent heard really anything about the smittybilt, but warn has a reputation in the off road world, if it were me I would do the warn, then upgrade it to synthetic line.

stockwell-i have run my synthetic line on some rocks, and it does fray a littke bit, but it is still useable. IMHO its worth the extra safety!!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My brother in law has a Smittybuilt XRC12 12000lbs that he uses all the time. He loves it. They're only $499 thru 4wheel parts right now. Can't beat that.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Smittybuilt. I've used mine extensively and it hasn't let me down. But get the 10, the extra power is worth the price.

PM me if you need any more info on it
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Some good feedback on Smittybilt but an unknown quantity to me.

I vote Warn. Upgrade to synthetic, keep or carry the wire as spare. I had my AmSteel cut by the bucket on a skid steer, other than that it's held up. The operator of the bucket felt so bad he paid me for a new rope. I thanked him and spliced the rope back together.

Most of the rope I see being sold as a winch line now comes with an abrasion sleeve of tube webbing or pack cloth. Seat that against the pinch point of the pull, and the rope slides through it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks guys for all the insight.. keep 'em comin! I might be settling for the Smittybilt XRC10 Competition winch.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I vote Smittybuilt. You can purchase a lifetime warranty for it which is still cheaper than a warn winch. I hear good things about the smitty.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i just picked up the warn and amsteel synthetic rope, i have only used it 1 time so far but it worked great. The amsteel came with a rock protector sleeve to put on a pinch point anywhere in your line, so should be resistant to fray/cuts.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Warn.

A guy I know locally picked up the smittybuilt XRC8 brand new, for the same reason, price.

It did not work out of the box, and had to be REPAIRED before it could even be mounted on the truck.

Don't know about you, but a winch that fails before even one use, doesn't inspire confidence when I'm stuck way back in the backcountry and have to rely on the winch to get me home.

Go Warn.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM

smitty - the safety and reliability of a synthetic rope is worth it.
that and if your winching at an angle you can break those roller fair leads quite easily
Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by VSU_4runnin
smitty - the safety and reliability of a synthetic rope is worth it.
that and if your winching at an angle you can break those roller fair leads quite easily
Agreed on the synthetic, but why buy the *crappy*built for something you can just add to the warn?

OP, get the warn, add the synthetic. Thank yourself later when your rig isn't stuck with a busted winch.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 PM

but then he has to buy a hawse fairlead $35+, and the synthetic rope $150-$400
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Yup. And then he also has a winch that works. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Sometimes you actually get what you pay for. Winches are one of those areas that cheap can hurt.

Last edited by AxleIke; 03-23-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the obvious answer is warn.

that being said, if your not some hardcore over lander that is going to be wheelin alone a long ways away from help, then the sb is a great winch for the money. ive beat the piss out of mine, granted im on my second one but they never left me stranded. also the lifetime warranty is nice.

here is my experience with the SB https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bumper-161531/
Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 PM

I know tons of people have their decisions and I know Warn is the most recognized name for a winch but the reviews seem to be even. I thank everyone for their comments and would love to hear more. I know this will be a good thread for other users and future users.

@Toyota 1: Thank you for the thread about your experience. I really think it has me sold on the SB winch and the lifetime warranty appeals highly to me. I won't be doing extensive heavy off-roading and for the most part I hope to use this winch more for helping other people rather than helping myself haha

I know I would love to have a Warn but I think I'll give the XRC line my 1st round pick. If all else fails and I go through a couple SBs I'll learn my lesson, get my new one through warranty, and sell it, Then try out the Warn I have no doubt that the XRC winches are tough but think there are just a few lemons out there. Just like any kind of product.

As the saying goes... "you don't know until you try" and in this case, I'm willing to give the XRC line a try.

Keep the comments coming!!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:38 PM

xrc8...have seen it pull a full size chevy out of a revine, pull three jeeps that were chained together only using the 1 winch through a mud hole, and pull a thousand pound moose for 5 hours strait...everyone i wheel with has the smittybuilt and have not seen one fail yet, and its cheaper!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the hell out of my SB 10k sny rope this winter pulled dually's ,rangers ,cars and myself as well never missed a beat I got the free shipping and free cover and I highly recommend the cover worked real well keep my winch clear of ice this winter and mud , road grime ever since .

The lifetime no questions asked warranty is a big bonus to me as well cause the older this one gets when it breaks the newer and more updated the replacement one will be and after talking to the guy at WINCH DEPOT I found out from him SB winches are built for them by MILE MARKER so they do have a pedigree of reasonable reputation and it fits the front bumper pretty well too same foot print as the WARN so no need to get a special winch plate

Name:  DSCN4359.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  118.6 KB
Name:  DSCN4338.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  182.5 KB

Quick Reply: Winch Decisions - Warn or Smittybilt