Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Chaos lift vs. Blazeland lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Zach, It was nice talking with you on the phone.....and meeting you in person too.

Kevin (of Thunder Bay),

The date you wrote me, September 13, 2010, is so long ago I doubt I could find it at this point. And since then I'm sure your rig has evolved so answering now might not make much sense. If you reconsider your options and change your mind let me know.

Shown below is the Blazeland Contact / Order Form. To calculate shipping my zip code is 92630. The kit comes in two boxes, each weighing 50lbs. Dimensions are 20x16x10. You can calcuate shipping via UPS, Fed Ex, US Mail, by going to their websites and plugging in the numbers. An additional $40 is applied to shipping cost (you calculated) for the handling and materials. There may also be some customs, taxes, import fees, or something for importing into Canada?

Last edited by BlazeN8; 04-15-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Since apparently there are no at speed footage of the BL in action I figured I'd help people out, since some refuse to click links I provided and/or do their own research. BTW, this setup is actually WIDER then Nate's kit. Meaning MORE leverage on those ball joint bolts. And if I am not mistaken since this is a center diff up front it's also getting MORE travel then Nate's Kit. But this is essentially Nate's kit only "improved" simply to run a center mounted front diff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1o5rn783ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwPD7OiZVk

And did someone say this wasn't tested beyond the capabilities of a stock IFS setup?

Lets see you do this with a stock IFS front end without putting yourself on your lid. And don't say yeah you can do that, show me a video of you actually doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUxRI7L3sbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHyOfxlauQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HkHp6VGI4

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-16-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Nice! Thats Cassidy up in Oregon. He bought a Blazeland Budget kit back in April 2010. Wow, its been two years all ready! Your right he is a bit wider and does have a center mounted front diff. Not sure whats still Blazeland these days? Tie Rod Adjusting sleeves and UCA Extension Brackets? He did a nice job tweeking stuff. Improved.... is relative to your perspective. In my opinion if your wanting the most bang for your buck you gotta go with the T-100 CVs as the determination factor in setting the width. Custom CVs are gonna put you back at least $600. A center mount diff will allow 14" of travel, give or take, but it also means the addition of a 4" drop Bracket kit so that the diff clears the oil pan. Custom mounting brackets for the diff need to be constructed. I think this concept has lots of potential. Does it justify the added cost and modifications? I'm still playing around with it on my 4Runner but its a back burner project. Cassidy earns a pat on the back from me for all his ideas and hard work.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 04-16-2012 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Parker (01-14-2021)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Yeah that's why I kept the improved in quotes. Knowing this kit started out as a BL kit and has been added to and directly contradicts the "issue" with the BJ bolts and extra leverage on them I thought I should post it. And STILL not ONE person has gone over to his build thread to ask the guy what he thinks of that kit or if he's had issues with the ball joint hardware.

Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Parker (01-14-2021)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I recognized Sand Lake and some of the scenery. Good to see someone putting a little effort into the 'budget' IFS setup.

Guy needs a locker or two, though. lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

I spoke with Cassidy a few times on the phone..... a while back. The bj hardware was not giving him problems even after bolting that extension plate onto the Blazeland Extension Bracket. The 1986-1995 IFS design was used on the T-100 without changing anything. Stepping up from a mini-truck to a full size without beefing anything up got's to tell you the stuff is plenty strong.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM

When I was at the Baja 250 last month I ran into a lost contact I have not seen in a while who worked at Downey Offroad for 29 years. I got into a conversation about the Mega Travel Ball Joints he used to make. All he did was some minor machining of the factory ones. This machining allowed a bit more droop without binding. Downey's LT kit was only 2" wider per side but was said to have 13" of travel because of the Mega Travel ball joints. And you could retain 4WD; of course you had to used their custom Porshe CVs. I was thinking about having him make me a set of mega travel ball joints so I could investigate.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea the ifs system is very tough I have hit woops frame rattling hard with crapped shocks. bouncing off the bump stops 2 or 3 times and not having anything fail. Love that 4runner I have played around with the idea of adding a 4 inch lift and then a big set of deavers. But I kinda lime being so low for the corners.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Wait does the Blazeland kit give you a lift.
Ahhhhhh....
Im a newb. Im 16 just bought my first truck(yota) its bone stock got 35's for 200 bucks but I cant find a lift kit. Please someone I need help bad.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM

http://www.blazeland.us/Page_2.php

Wheel Travel cycles 12"

(measured metal to metal bump stops removed)

Increase ride height 3-4"
Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Okay so I have a question...
If I buy the Blazeland kit, what else would I have to buy to complete the truck?
Does it come with rear or something? If not what would you buy for the rear to equal the suspension.
Ohh and also it says on there site that theres parts not included but recommended. Where can you get that stuff?
Ohh and could you put like a bracket lift or body lift cuz I need to clear 35's
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Click the Blazeland link I posted. Most of the info you need to know is on there.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Any warranty on the Blazeland parts? How serviceable are the bushings? How long have the kits been run? My 4Runner has the infamous worn LCA/UCA bushings and local shops are charging 4-500 to replace them. Might as well upgrade to fix that problem.

Also, xxxtreme, are you running this kit?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Nope, not running this kit. I would be if I had the coin for it though.
IIRC, the bushings should be no harder to replace then OEM bushings since the UCA/LCA are OEM parts.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 AM

Well from what I've read, it's probably within the 5 most dreaded things to deal with on the 2nd Gen 4Runner...lol. I figure if I'm going to pay someone to deal with that, so I don't have to, I can upgrade to a long travel. Budget-wise, this is a lot more friendly than JD Fab or TC. I like JD Fab because I could still use a torsion setup, as well as this kit. I don't jump the rig, it's more of a camp rig that hits trails, mostly fireroads up to mild trails. Nothing extreme. My initial plan was to just have the control arm bushings replaced, and install an OME lift.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

LT kit

To Meatandpotatoes, go wheel that thing just as it is. You will learn alot about offroading and your stock vehicles capabilities will surprise you ( it surprises jeep guys all the time.) Then look at lockers next. (and armour) The blue toyota video should be an advertisement for locker companies. THEN when you feel like your ready for more, look at the LT kit. I watched the blazleand demo video and it didn't look to me like the upper ball joint was ever binding, so I don't see that as a weak point. AS far as Nates customer service I will say this. I called Blazeland at around 8pm one Friday night as I was begining to research LT kits. Nate answered the phone. I was surprised and embarrased to connect to a live person. I appologized to Nate but his response was "no problem, what do you want to know" ( thats more customer service than I have seen anywhere) One of the points he made to me was that this kit uses most of your stock parts which means you can get them off the shelf of ANY auto parts store. Makes a lot of sense to me. ( not having to wait weeks if something does break) It also means that you can afford to carry replacement parts which you should allways do if your out in remote locations. (spare $600. uniball, not so affordable) I'm not racing, i'm offroading. Blazeland = affordable performance that meets MY needs. This kit is going to be my next mod. See you in MOAB soon.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM

I emailed, but he hasn't replied back to me yet. Does his kit come with new ball joints?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM

No, you reuse your old ones or as I plan on doing replace them all (around $100.oo) and keep your old ones as trail spares.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Blazeland shipped out today, yeehaw. Budget LT for the win!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Just bought a used blaze kit. cant wait to get it on my runner

Quick Reply: Total Chaos lift vs. Blazeland lift