Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fj80's in the rear...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fj80's in the rear...

Ok, so I think I'm going to do the Superlift IFS lift in the front of my 93 4Runner. My question is concerning the rear. How can I get 4" of lift? I know there are a lot of options but I really don't want a coil and spacer lift. I've read a lot on the fj80 springs and I was curious if there were ones that I could use to get between 4 and 5". All I've seen are 5.5" and 3.5". Any help would be great. Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:22 PM

I think stock FJ80 springs are about a 3" lift on a 4Runner. At least it looks like that much
Old 10-29-2003, 07:37 PM

where can you buy the lift for just the front ifs, ive never seen a kit like that.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two tall side FZJ-80 series cruiser coils in the rear of my 95 with a darn heavy rear bumper.

My rim to fender measurement in the rear is 16"

With OME 860's and a heavy bumper, others have gotten around 2.5 more inches than what I have.

Really ought to extend the rear links as well.

I think it breaks down to:
-2 short side stock is ~3"
-2 tall side stock ~4"
-2 OME 860's ~6"

Don't bother with the 863's unless you are hauling some big butts around.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:30 PM

Flygtenstein- So you got around 4" with your bumper? I wonder how much I would get without one...

As for the other question, try calling Superlift or any other company. I know a guy who said I could just get the front. I also saw another member who was getting a "modded Rancho lift" from somewhere on the internet. But as far as I know you can get just the front.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 AM

Rancho doesn't make a good Toy IFS kit. If you go to AllPro they won't make their long travel kit work with Rancho.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:23 AM

I am not sure what the actual lift is that I got from the coils. That is why I listed it at rim to fender. These coils with an aftermarket bumper will yield this measurement.

The OME 860's will get you to the 18.5" rim to fender measurement.

Forgot to say that measurement I listed before included a 1" bodylift.

Downey sells/sold a modified Rancho lift that is essentially an ATS arm type set-up for torsion bar IFS.

Unless you are dead set on the Superlift, I would avoid an IFS lift all together. You can get comparable results for a lot less.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:05 AM

I'm not a huge fan of cranking my torsion bars. I did that for a while and the ride wasn't great and doesn't it limit the already little amount of travel in the front? I guess I would rather stay away from the cranked torsion bars and body lifts if at all possible. What suggestions do you guys have that would do well off road?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Don't crank the torsion bars and just run some lift in the rear with light coils if you don't want a bodylift. Cranking them limits travel but also does nothing practical for clearing tires, it just adjusts the arc. If you want it to wheel, get crosslinked air shocks and a bodylift.

You will not improve articulation off-road with an out of the box IFS lift. Your truck will be taller, likely the same width and pretty much the same travel.

A 1" bodylift is not going to be noticeable and allows a drivetrain lift option later. More often than not, people ask if I have a bodylift, fairly in cognito.

Out of curiousity, what is your rear rim to fender right now?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:49 AM

One more thought.

If you want it to wheel better, add a locker if you have not already. That will beat the pants off an IFS lift for wheeling performance.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:20 PM

I was looking at the air shocks. How hard of an install is that? What all is involved? I searched on it a little, are there any write ups on it?

I'm not exactly sure what my fender to rim is. My front is around 15" and my rear is a good 1.5" or more lower. My truck is back home so I have no way of getting that right now.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Flygtenstein- if i got the OME 860's i would get about a 6" lift? is that right or wrong sorry im new to this? and these are front and rear coil springs
Old 07-26-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tim...if you wanna wait just a bit I'm doing this very thing to my 91 so I can let you know how it turns out. I'm runnin the OME 863's in the rear with the N74L's and doing the superlift brackets up front with the N98's. I plan on running with a full size spare, tool box, and roof rack when I'm done that why I went with the 863's. I've got the rear done and it feels pretty nice so far.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Yea, this is exactly what I am doing now too. To my 93 Runner. I bought my super lift from a guy off here. It was for a 93 pick up and I got it for like 450 bucks. I am just waiting for all the stuff to get in to me so I can put it on. Im running the fj80 coils with Rancho 5009's and procomp ss brake lines. I will prob get new control arms later too. I am doing this in the next week or two. Ill let you know too. Ill put some pics when Its all done and I have my 33's. Im not running any bumpers or racks either.

Im fabing all my brackets too. Pan hard, proportioning valve, etc.

Last edited by Magreger; 07-26-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:38 PM

is it a full 6" lift? how big of tires can you fit.33-35-36's so let me get this right i have a stock 1994 4runner and if i put OME 860's in rear and front (coil springs) i will have a 6 INCH LIFT!!! what else would i need to do ball joint spacers i dont know if anythin else? just let me know what all needs to be down and if what im sayin up top is right.. goo luck with urs.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I have two tall side FZJ-80 series cruiser coils in the rear of my 95 with a darn heavy rear bumper.

My rim to fender measurement in the rear is 16"

With OME 860's and a heavy bumper, others have gotten around 2.5 more inches than what I have.

Really ought to extend the rear links as well.

I think it breaks down to:
-2 short side stock is ~3"
-2 tall side stock ~4"
-2 OME 860's ~6"

Don't bother with the 863's unless you are hauling some big butts around.
I must have put two tall side coils in my 4Runner but one had a red dot painted on it and the other had a green dot. The height difference was only about 1/16 between the two and I got pretty close to 4" of lift. Of course I only have the center portion of a stock bumper on right now.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know about the 6 inches of lift exactly...I'll have to measure mine tomorrow, but I got the 863's because they are able to handle a constant 440lb of weight. The 860's won't so if you were thinking of this go with the 860's as you won't have the stuff in the rear. I plan on running the superlift up front and running some swayaway tbars that I should be able to crank to match the rear. Eventually I hope to get so bj spacers and an arb up front. I've got the ss braklines and other brackets as well. I'll get pics up as soon as I can.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 AM

so what excalty would i need to do and what are u doin excalty(ihave just a plain stock 1994 4runner now)...runnin the superlift upfront and swayawaytbars? could i not just get the 863's to lift the back and then can i not just lift the front the same way with OME 861 coil springs?...this seems pretty cheap to get about 6" of lift b/c i found the coil springs for like 150 a pair(front and rear=300)
Old 07-27-2005, 07:48 AM

i got two 12" subs in these huge custom boxes and an amp so im guessin the 863's for rear. these say land cruiser coils does that matter, will they work on 4runner....if i get the 863's what kinda lift would i have in rear. and how can i match it in front crank tbars etc. and then what size tires can i get (im gonna get either LTB or TSLs). thanks

do these springs help it flex great i heard.

i just need to know what all i need to do and etc. b/c i know very little about this and im tryin to say $$$ b/c im goin to college
Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TimJo85
so let me get this right i have a stock 1994 4runner and if i put OME 860's in rear and front (coil springs) i will have a 6 INCH LIFT!!!
Ahhh I think you are confused , your stock 4Runner does not have coil springs in the front, it has torsion bars. Regardless, do separate searches on "suspension lift" and "cruiser coils". You find lots of information dealing with these issues in great detail that should answer most of your questions. If not, then keep asking and we'll do our best to help you. Good luck with your mods!

Quick Reply: Fj80's in the rear...