Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual case question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual case question

I am very much a newbie, so sorry if i ask the wrong question. Do i need 2 top shift cases for the dual case setup? I have a 87 4runner with a 22re and the 5 speed manaul. my extra case would come from a 87 runner with a 22re and 5 speed manual. any help would be great. thanks in advance

Last edited by mbm1976; 03-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

You will need a top shifter in addition to what you have. If you have a front shifting case now, it will have to be the front case and you have to get a top loader for the back case. You can change over the shifting forks but the kit costs over a $100.00. You should be able to get a case.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM

just need 1 top shift case and adaptor combined with your stock case
Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
here is some info that might help you. you are gonna love what you truck can do with the extra gearing options. My wife thought i was crazy for wanting 20 forward and 4 reverse
-(in case your Donor case is a forward shift TC, see a little further down for some techniques on converting it to top shift)

For dual Cases:
You will need:
-2 transfer cases, usually Top shift
-a Transfer case adapter-21 spline or 23 spline (stronger)
-a dual case crossmember
-shorten rear driveshaft and lengthen rear shaft
-cut a hole in the tunnel floor for the second TC lever

Transfer Case Info
Transfer Case Rebuilding FSM PDF
Trail-Gears TC Videos:
t-case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toy-tcase.wmv
Dual case: http://www.trail-gear.com/videos/toydualcase.wmv

Transmission and other Transfer case info: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Convert Forward Shift Case to Top Shift Case
from this Thread

Originally Posted by nevada
*this is for a dual toyota t-case set-up.*
i know the shop is a mess.... so dont say anything

OK, since i had 2 extra forward cases, i decided i HAD to make them work for my marlin crawler. i know this isnt NEW. and using a forward shift case for the RANGE box has been done. but i needed it to work for the rear 4WD case.(id heard it couldnt be done:shaking: )

im not going to go through the teardown. hopefully if you are attempting this conversion, you already know how to tear it down.
*im going to refer to the 4L-4H rail as LEFT*
*the 2WD-4H as RIGHT*
1)get the SPARE shift fork from the DONOR case. and cut the lug off, using a die grinder. be sure not to cut it too close.

2) install the rails into the RANGE portion of the rear case. after the rails are in, put the shift detents back in place. this will help insure correct placement. and carefully measure for the roll pin. its VERY important to get it right. measure 5X cut once. leave the LEFT rail in 4wd(toward the front) and shift the RIGHT rail into 4wd also.(to the front.) mark where the new hole has to be, for the LUG on the right rail. i tried to match the lug(NOT THE HOLE) to the other fork as best i could.
do NOT attempt to drill the rail. it is hardened steel, and you will never get it. even if you could, i doubt it would be straight. i took mine to a local machine shop(Machine Service inc.)

3) grab the ends u cut off, and remove the gates. set them aside, for now.

**note** this pic is out of sequence. when removing the gates, be sure to remove the entire portion off the 2WD gate. this prevents the shifter from falling into "space" when in 4L. i had to go back, and add this piece.

4) attach lug to the right rail, and the fork to the left rail, and the you need to clearance the INSIDE edge of each lug. you need a "flat" section to attach the gates to. since the lugs are angled, it wont be square. i ground them down close, and just clamped to the THICKER side. and filled in the small gap.

5) once you're certain you know where theyre going. carefully weld the gate onto the lugs. use the SHORT gate on the LEFT(with FORK) rail. and the LONG gate on the RIGHT rail. *see my note above.*

theres alot of test fitting. i dont remember when i did it. but at some point, after u instal the gates, you need to reinstall the main shaft, and most of the gears, and 2WD shift fork, and slide the outer portion of the t-case in place. be sure everything shifts good. then measure where to cut the STICK OUT, from the rails. they can only stick out about 1/4" when shifted into 4H. otherwise they will hit the 4L rail in the range box.
this pic also thems them after they were shortened.

6)put everything together for another test fit. you now need your gates to line up. if they dont, but are close, you can use a file to get them exact. mine were dead on, and no adjustments were needed. again, note the lug i added after the fact.

one thing i want to mention, as it messed with me a few times. when these rails are out, they can be put in 180* out of phase. it will work properly, but your shift detents will not work correctly. be sure on the final install, that the SINGLE detent notch is to the INSIDE.
make sure everything shifts correctly and smoothly. i used a bit of 90w to ease the install.
and finally, a forward shift tcase, converted to a top shift, ready to be installed.

hopefully this will help others who dont have a top shift case, but want a dual case set-up.
for front caseconverting a Forward shift to top shift (front box)
Originally Posted by NE-89-4Runner
from my build:

fork shift getting ready for modification

pre weld:

fully welded up:
another Forward Shift Case thread
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 AM

thanks to everyone for the helpful advice! Any advice on which dual case adapter i buy?

Last edited by mbm1976; 03-31-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Marlin.