Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double shackle questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double shackle questions

Ok so I've been doing some research on double shackles and from what I understand is they add crazy flex on the trail but unload on dd
What is this unloading that seams to plague double shackles?
I want to get more flex out of my truck but my dd is my trail rig too so could somebody build a double shackle setup with a bumpstop and a locking pin to keep it in a normal position while dd but pull the pin for off roading?
Is this unloading similar to driving without rear shocks?
Just wondering
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the Jeep's sometimes use double shackles. From my understanding, the unloading is when going downhill. It will make the rear of the truck get very high which can be dangerous on steep downhills. It can cause the center of gravity to move in front of the front wheels which can cause you to flip over. If you wan't some more flex, I would suggest either going for the chevy 63" spring swap. However, since you this is a daily driver, perhaps some Alcan springs? I had some and they flexed like crazy! They are a bit pricey though.
Driving without rear shocks causes the rear to be bouncy. It is different from unloading on the downhills. You can try a locking pin...but I personally wouldn't trust it. Of course, it's up to you.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM

that makes sense thanks for explaining and not flaming that what i expected out of this thread
it is a daily driver but i like modifying and doing all kinds of stuff as long as im saving money im 17 now but when i was 16 i sased my 95 2wd with tons of info from yotatech and help from my step dad i prefer to modify without buying stuff because everybody thinks you cant do it
im planning on ford 57s but im debating it cause they are 250 springs instead of 150s and seem quite abit thicker than 150s
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
double shackles do technically provide more travel - this is because once the first has maxed out on travel, the 2nd one kicks in. the whole concept/problem with "unloading" is due to a double shackle essentially being a "double pendulum", and that whenever you hit that spot in the shackle's movement (when the 2nd one kicks in) it can do it suddenly/violently (look up videos on how a double-pendulum swings) --- NOT something you want to happen when descending a steep hill going forward, or when sidehilling in off-camber situations. when the shackles unload, it can/may cause your rig to roll since there isn't really any resistance (since vehicle weight is shifted elsewhere) to keep things planted. Not really an issue on street driving unless you like to slam on your brakes...or own a Jeep and wheel at the mall
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a set of "revolver" shackles on the back on my truck that I believe are basicly the same concept you're talking about. These:
http://www.teraflex.biz/teraflex-revolver-shackles.html
Only time I notice them on the road is if the bed is unloaded and I do a hard pull off the line in first. The torque causes them to open up and when I shift, the bed drops back down suddenly. Scared the S out of me the first time it did it, but I've never had them be the cause of any dangerous sutuation or real instability, though, I haven't pushed them too hard off road (ie REALLY steep downhill like mentioned earlier). I also have track bars (old NWOR, top of spring pack at axle to the front spring perch) that may be part of the reason the shackles open up when they "shouldn't".
On a side note, they make using the high lift to get a rear tire off the ground a real pain because of all the droop.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Cool not to worried about not being able to get a wheel off the fround because I have a hard time doin it now I always have to jack up the axle instead of frame
I think I'm going to get some and add a bump stop and a im
Old 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Cool not to worried about not being able to get a wheel off the fround because I have a hard time doin it now I always have to jack up the axle instead of frame
I think I'm going to get some and add a bump stop and a implement for a locking pin to keep it in place plus that would make it so I shouldn't have to move the perch for my 57s just add a double shackle not to worried about it now just was wondering if it was one of those things that people over exaggerate about or if they were truly going to kill me if I put the on