Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bud Built fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bud Built fitment issues

I installed a Bud Built transfer case crossmember the other day on my 91 4Runner V6 and it didn't fit quite right. After installing a bolt in one side and then bolting the mount (which was found to be torn) to the crossmember it took me and friend to push up on the other side to get a bolt started. I didn't even have to lower the jack that was under the trans any because the entire powertrain was lifted up when we installed the crossmember. And as you can see in the pictures, the metal circular part of the mount sticks down pretty far below the crossmember.

Afterwards we tried to install the long skid plate that came with it and the front sway bar is in the way and even if it wasn't there didn't look to be a place to bolt the front of it to. Went for a drive and there is a ton of vibrations in the upper rpm range and I'm unable to shift into 4WD now. I check the linkage and there are no obstructions so I'm guessing it has to do with the powertrain being at a different angle than it was before causing binding somewhere?

Tried to e-mail Bud and I've called twice and left a message but I still haven't got a reply.

Is there something I'm missing? Did I possibly get the wrong part or maybe this one wasn't made correctly?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM

I've never heard about bud built stuff not fitting right. Did you buy this new or used?? He does offer a crossmember for a drivetrain lift. This would be used with motor mount spacers to lift the drivetrain between the frame rails so the belly pan can be installed. I believe you will need a body lift as well as have to "clock" the transfer case for clearance.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like you bought something used not meant to fit your setup.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
My v6 cross member fit perfect (but mines a 5 speed and I dont have a swaybar, same skid though)
Maybe its built for a drivetrain lift?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

This was bought new. Someone on Pirate also mentioned it might be for a drivetrain lift. If so then it was sent on accident because I didn't mention anything about a lift when I ordered from Bud.

I swapped back to the factory crossmember today and the vibration is gone and I'm able to shift into 4WD again.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM

I was able to get a hold of bud yesterday and I took measurements so we can try and get this resolved.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi VuickB6,
Were you able to resolve the issue? I rensently got the 3 piece combo kit ( Front skid, crossmember, belly skid) for my 93 4runner. A couple of weeks ago I tried to swap in the crossmember but I ran into the same issue with regards to the Budbuilt being too short, I could barely get the bolts onto the first threads to hold it up. I put the stock one back on without a problem. I think I may have received a unit with drivetrain lift... I discussed with Bud and sent measurements ect. over and he has been very helpful with suggestions and is open to any resolution (i.e. refund). Ultimately I love the product and just want it on my truck. Bud suggested a small body lift or manipulating the tunnel to accomodate the lifted drivetrain, however, I'm concerned by the way the lifted drivetrain caused vibrations and your 4WD not to funtion. Please let me know how things are working out for you.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 AM

An update on my situation regarding my installation issue: I installed a 1" body lift from 4Crawler and the cross member bolted up without a problem. So far I have no issues with vibrations or anything of the sort. Oh and I love the Budbuilt product... it looks bad a$$ and appears as though it will provide a lot of protection.

Last edited by T4RYota93; 08-28-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling