Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of siping, anyone know if Les Schwab or anywhere does siping on used tires?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1
We have about 6 inches of snow here and even just driving around town I hardly get traction and that stupid traction control you can't turn off starts beeping and ticking at me. But with the nittos I could go alot of places in 2wd and not get stuck. I will be lucky if I can get out of my driveway in 2wd with these Bfg's I guess it is personal preference I bought these cause everybody said hands down best tires ever.
Basicly, you suck at driving. Either that or you're an exagerator and an idiot. Why does everyone RAVE about the BFG AT's??? Because they are great tires trhat do well in nearly every condition outside of deep mud.

Learn how to drive in slick condition before you make stupid accusations.

Nitto's might be great tires for a daily driver that doesn't see much dirt, but they're nowhere near the traction and tread level tha the BFG's are.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
Basicly, you suck at driving.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 AM

ok so in my 88 mostly stock, should i be running at 30 psi for maximum grip/tread life? i currently have bfg at 31/10.50/15. i have them at 35 psi. should i drop her down?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Nitto's might be great tires for a daily driver that doesn't see much dirt, but they're nowhere near the traction and tread level tha the BFG's are.

How do you figure? Experience?

I see trails about 12-14 times a summer (3 years now on the same set of Nittos) with my Nittos and they have held up just as good as any of the sets of BFGs I've driven on since '93. Nittos are a direct competitor to BFGs on and off road.

In the snow and wet BFGs are subpar to the Nittos from my experiences but off road not really a difference but the BFGs have better sidewall lugs.

Decent in mud too.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 12-12-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 AM

Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. Two years ago I wheeled with two friends of mine, one with a Nissan se v6 4wd pickup with 31 bfg mt's and the other a 2wd s-10 4 banger lifted on 31 bfg at's. Granted the nissan obviously did better through deep mud puddles and deep snow but I was surprised at how well the little s-10 did. For at's they seemed to do farily well out on the trail, a good mix of mud and snow sections. I was gonna get those tires for my ride but opted for the Mt's so I can keep up better with my buddies scout this winter.

Last edited by nick_8787; 12-12-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Basicly, you suck at driving. Either that or you're an exagerator and an idiot. Why does everyone RAVE about the BFG AT's??? Because they are great tires trhat do well in nearly every condition outside of deep mud.

Whoa there buddy, you are being very presumptuous as well as rude to assume he has a driving skill issue. Traction controls systems are tuned for a tire and may or may not work well with others.

His experiences with the BFG AT are not unique, I have read many like posts. There seems to be a large disparity between reported the snow covered road prowess of these tires. One individual on another board suggested the more powdery consistency of snow often seen on the west coast is more favorable to the BFG AT while the wetter sloppier snow of the east coast is not. True or not I can't say but to assume this guy can't drive is ridiculous and unproductive.

After all, you essentially have traction control, it's by way of a very small engine that doesn't beep or tick, etc... Your "system" will tolerate as much wheel spin as you will.

Frank
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I am on my third set of BFG AT's. I have had good luck with them the places I use them. My miles are mostly highway with the 4Runner, but for on/off road use, I really like the Pro-Comp X-Terrains. They are about the same noise level as the BFG's, but they do work much better off-road, and they handled Tellico without much trouble at 12psi in my 35's. I'm thinking seriously about buying another set of those when the BFG's wear out. Tire choice is basically a matter of what works for you I think.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elripster
Whoa there buddy, you are being very presumptuous as well as rude to assume he has a driving skill issue. Traction controls systems are tuned for a tire and may or may not work well with others.

His experiences with the BFG AT are not unique, I have read many like posts. There seems to be a large disparity between reported the snow covered road prowess of these tires. One individual on another board suggested the more powdery consistency of snow often seen on the west coast is more favorable to the BFG AT while the wetter sloppier snow of the east coast is not. True or not I can't say but to assume this guy can't drive is ridiculous and unproductive.

After all, you essentially have traction control, it's by way of a very small engine that doesn't beep or tick, etc... Your "system" will tolerate as much wheel spin as you will.

Frank

I personally have had great experienced with BFG's. I have tried other brands of AT's and have always found myself coming back to the BFG's for two reasons. They wear exceptionally well, and they wheel better than any other AT I've ever used. I have always heard good things about Nitto's. But when it comes down to paying several hundred dollars for tires, I guess I always return to what I know, rather than what I've heard. Not completely solid logic, I know, but I don't feel like i can risk $$$ "giving another brand a shot". BFG's have never let me down.

In regards to air pressure... I run my 285/75's at 35 psi on road and 12-15 off road. After searching and talking with other who have these tires, it seems that pressure is the best balance between tread life and mileage.

All you BFG haters out there...good for you. I love 'em.

After all.... THEY'RE TIRES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! There are far more important things to argue about.

Like the benefits of throttle body spacers.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread has gone from a reasonable review of tires someone disliked to a retarded pissing match.

Nitto's are a great tire. BFG's are also a great tire. There are about 10 billion other great tires out there: MT/R's, swampers, firestone dest, on and on.

The fact that someone can tell driving skills by the internet is impressive. Almost as impressive as someone talking on the internet about the length of their johnson.

No one is talking about banning BFG's from the market. They are offering real world experience with both sets of tires. They like the Nittos. Awesome. If you want to buy BFG's still, as I do, then good for you. No one is preventing you from doing that. I'm pretty sure BFG could give a damn about what's said on the net about them. They're doing pretty well from where I sit.

Hopefully Nitto's will get more popular, and compete more directly with the BFG. Lord knows they could bring the price down.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Nittos and BFGs are the only two tires I'd buy for my Runner for price and availablity but BFGs have the long term reputation at the moment and it's hard to beat their looks and it's one of the few tires that white letters out actually looks good on.

I went with Nittos in the first place on a recommendation from Bamachem and they were even cheaper two years ago but it seems their price out the door has jumped about $80 since then.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 AM

these are my first truck tires...I'm use to car tires...I loved my Advan tires...the bfg gforce are pretty decent...but my at's are garbage ...my buddies geo's are so much better..so stop defending bfg at's ....and relax girls...its just the internet... lol

EDIT...garbage on snow... we have like 3 feet of snow... I had at least a foot to drive through last week. ANd they were rubbish at 25psi. before anyone starts banging there head..Relax it was in 2wd with nothing in my box. And no I cant go to 15psi or anything lower. just stupid driving on the road with 15psi in your tires... On the other hand... My buddies geo at's are amazing in snow and pavement...amazing at 50 psi haha

Last edited by Albert.G; 12-12-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albert.G
these are my first truck tires...I'm use to car tires...I loved my Advan tires...the bfg gforce are pretty decent...but my at's are garbage ...my buddies geo's are so much better..so stop defending bfg at's ....and relax girls...its just the internet... lol
Oh... us girls were talking about TRUCK tires. You know, tires that let you go lots of places, instead of some. Tires that let you go over speed bumps at a normal speed instead of having to take 15 minutes going over at an angle. Tires that let you do 80+ miles per hour on the highway and then 2 miles per hour up a 45 degree slope. Those tires. You know, girly tires. Tires us girls have lots of experience with.

Yay for your buddy's Geo's. Wait, is that in reference to the tires or the vehicle?

EDIT: Ok, after reading my post, it could possibly be interpreted as mean. I didn't intend it that way. I was trying to be playfully sarcastic.
I used be a low rider too. Then I was set free.

Last edited by Tacoclimber; 12-12-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 AM

haha No worrys... I just think people are getting way to bent out of shape agruing over the internet haha
Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
funny
Old 12-12-2007, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=Diesel_Freak;50692570]Basicly, you suck at driving. Either that or you're an exagerator and an idiot. Why does everyone RAVE about the BFG AT's??? Because they are great tires trhat do well in nearly every condition outside of deep mud.

Nitto's might be great tires for a daily driver that doesn't see much dirt, but they're nowhere near the traction and tread level tha the BFG's are.[/QUOTE

Its stupid people like you who ruin stuff like this grow up this was a discussion about tires now it's a pissing contest

Last edited by hamiltonj2w1; 12-12-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM

You're posting out of whack statements like I can't even get out of my driveway with said tire... That's pretty unreal, my suggestion is maybe it isn't the tires. Or maybe the BFG's are really old and bald??? Dunno, basicly you say something 100% different from what most people seem to agree on/ have experience with so frankly I question your skills as an evaluator.

That adult enough for ya skippy?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM

To each his own!

The BFG A/Ts are great. I just plowed thru 2+ feet of fresh snow. I had snow billowing over my hood. I did have them siped, that will make a huge difference. Last year I could keep up with fully locked 4runners and jeeps offroad in deep snow and I'm open, open. They have great onroad handleing, great mileage and great on Moab slickrock. True, they do packup with mud but they are not a mudder.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

The Nittos are factory siped and that's much better with it engineered into a tire vs having a machine slice up a new tire IMO.

Off roading with siped tires can be ugly too when they chunk on hard terrain.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
<SNIP>

Off roading with siped tires can be ugly too when they chunk on hard terrain.
Mmmm, I/we run on some of the toughest/hardest (pure rock) terrain here in Arizona and have no problem with chunking at all.
It's all in the driver.
Too many haven't figured out yet that there is a direct connection between the right foot (the stupid foot) and the wallet....

Fred

Quick Reply: BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet