Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i had a set of BFGs on my old 4runner and loved um, had a set on my 79 pickup and loved um, i now have a set on my DD jeep grand cherokee, dont have the same sort of love for them in the snow/ice as i did when i had um on a toyota, must be a jeep thing and no i dont understand..
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vehicle does have a lot to do with it...I have them on my 3rd Generation 4Runner and my Jeep CJ-7. I have had good luck with them thus far in snow, mud, dirt and on road. My vehicle does not have the skid control on it, which might have prevented the one wreck I had on wet pavement. I had to swerve quickly to miss the idiot who cut me off and stopped. The skid control could be part of your problem. It may not be well matched to the size and traction of the BFG's. It is set for your stock tires and may match better with the ones you are running now.

As of right now I love them on both vehicles! The look great and have held up to every thing I have thrown at them. Which is more that I can say for all the Goodyears I have torn up. I only run 30 psi in mine to keep the ride smoother. It has helped a lot around town. I usually air them up a bit if I am driving on the highway a lot. My BFG's are the stock size.

The only problem I have had with them has come now at around 25k miles on them. I had one start pulling on my 4Runner and it was replaced by discount tire, however, I am having a hard time getting them in balance. I don't blame the tires though, I think DT needs to calibrate their machine.

I will say, I listened to everyone on their recommendations of Bilstein shocks, which absolutely SUCK on my 4Runner. It is now very bouncy and I am very disappointed.

Definitely stick with the ones you like...I am trying to figure out what I want to put on my Sequoia next. It has the stock rags on it. I want to put a tire that will hold up to some light off-roading, yet will be safe for my wife driving the kid around in the rain, etc. I will feel really bad if I put BFG's on it and she has a wreck on wet pavement due to traction loss.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 12-09-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

I ran on a few sets of BFGs the last 12 years and for a DD I'll never go back and will be getting another set of Nittos as soon as my current ones wear out and now they have a 50k treadwear warranty which is easily honored at any Discount Tire. They also are still about $200 cheaper (at Discount out the door) than a set of BFGs and in the snow and wet the Nittos are considerably better on the street. Nittos have continuous water evac channels which the BFGs don't have very defined ones.

With the Nittos I feel they are more predictable in the snow when you slide and you can control the slide easier with throttle inputs better than with any BFG I've driven on.

Off road the differences are minor but if you have a Runner that's a weekend warrior I'd give the BFGs the nod due to their bit betetr sidewall lugs and proven durablility even tho' my Nittos have fared the rough stuff pretty well.

BFGs aren't bad but for a daily driver I think the Nittos have the edge in overall street handling and they will save you a little cash.

Just my opinion but I also am one of the few people with good experience with both tires and all on Toyotas.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 AM

QUESTION: I have a '93 extra-cab 4x4 dx, I put on 31" BFG A/T's which are bigger than stock recommended.....I am under the impression that SR5 pickups from this year had 31" tires stock, if so.....what tire pressure does their door jamb sticker say?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 AM

saw both at work this past weekend on that trail (Uwharrie, NC) it was dry, fine, dust on top of rocks. The guys with Nittos seemed to have less problems with traction. These were on fairly comparable Fj80 Cruisers(locked, re-geared, etc) Pretty much convinced me to go with a set of Terra Grapplers.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Dude. No. Not ever, EVER EVER should the BFG AT be run at that pressure. I never go above 33 psi. 40 would be the upper limit. You'll wear out the center of the tread like nobody's business.
I run mine at between 45 and 55psi

of course I'm also running 245/75/16 E tires on my full size...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

I've ran both BFG A/T and M/T. Really disappointed in both sets and in 2002 I went with Super Swamper SSR's. I liked the SSR's so much I bought a set for my 4Runner. I've had the SSR's on my P/U for five years and there is still a lot of tread and they've worn even with rotation every 6K. Not my daily driver but have around 45K miles on 'em.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:36 PM

I agree completely. But since we'll be going perfectly straight maybe less than 50% of the time, how do you measure for rollover? Meaning gong around a corner, air pressure, vehicle weight and sidewall all affect that and can render the straight line chalk test useless.

I don't know, just asking.

Originally Posted by CJM
And that dont work unless your tire is the same exact size that little itty bitty sticker in the door jamb. If I were to do that with my T100 I would be running 30psi in 31x10.5 tires up front-catch is door jamb says 225's! The manufactures recommended I run 29 psi up front with 225 tires..hmm logic tells me I aint running 225 tires so that pressure is out the window.

Chalk test is what ya do, draw a line across thread and drive checking it and air down or up till line wears evenly.

I truly detest those of you who seem to think b/c the door jamb or manual or manufactures specs say to run x pressure you do.. How do you know its for the tire your using, how do you know its the correct pressure unless you do the chalk test. The pressure listed by the manufacture is the pressure for the stock size tires that come on the truck..
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM

i have a set of the at's and i LOVE them. we have been gettin some snow in colorado like eight inches last night and i have not even put it in 4wheel drive... the are amazing and around corners i cant get them to slide out.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM

31x10.50 ...says 50psi.... would you guys like a picture?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Albert.G
On what, the sidewall ??

If so, that's the MAXIMUM pressure to be run with the tire loaded to the maximum load.

Fred
Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 PM

BFG's are a pretty hard compound. Great for the street but slippery on ice, snow, and any AT is not going to do well in soft sand or mud. You need a more aggressive tread pattern to do well in those terrains - and then you will have noise and other issues.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Your smiley illustrates my thoughts exactly.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
x3

Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Try like 15 psi offroad and 30 on road. How can you stand the bumps with tires that stiff?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM

are you serious... it rides like a caddy even though it is max psi...ive been drivin it like this forever...no problems...and even better...I get wickked gas mileage
I maybe be new to Toyota's But not new to cars/trucks....
Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 PM

are you serious... it rides like a caddy even though it is max psi...ive been drivin it like this forever...no problems...and even better...I get wickked gas mileage
I maybe be new to Toyota's But not new to cars/trucks....
What's the door sticker say ?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dingman
I agree completely. But since we'll be going perfectly straight maybe less than 50% of the time, how do you measure for rollover? Meaning gong around a corner, air pressure, vehicle weight and sidewall all affect that and can render the straight line chalk test useless.

I don't know, just asking.
The test is to put the full CONTACT patch on the ground. That is adjusted due to vehicle weight, sidewall, etc. Air pressure is not intended to make tires with more flexible sidewalls handle better. You can do it but your tire wear will show it.

It all boils down to this, if you don't handle like you want then you need a different tire. If you want a better road tire, you will move away from the better OFF road tire. (General Statement only!)

In ATV racing it is not uncommon to see different tires work better on the SAME model with the only real difference being as little as weight of the rider.

Anybody tried taking that tire and adding siping or grooving to it on their respective application?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW, my BFG A/T's developed much better grip in all conditions after the 6K mark. Hope it lasts. Still not as good an overall tire as my last set of Nittos.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet