Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet

I am just curious why every person I talk to says the BFG A/T is the best tire they ever had and this and that. I have had them for a few months now and they suck in the snow and mud they are almost as bad as the stock bridgstone hts that where on here. I had Nitto terra Grapplers on here and they were awesome in every kind of terrain. Does anybody feel this way about those tires or are the Nitto's that much better? So as of right now I think I have a set rims and tires for sale as in my avatar. Make me an offer you have to pick them up.

Helo Maxx 6 rims 16x8 265/75/16Bfg a/t's

Last edited by hamiltonj2w1; 12-08-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had both tires before on I prefer the BFGs hands down in any terrain...I like the Nittos but I just like my BFGs better. But the best tire I ever owned was the goodyear wrangler mtrs...awesome tires
Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 AM

We have about 6 inches of snow here and even just driving around town I hardly get traction and that stupid traction control you can't turn off starts beeping and ticking at me. But with the nittos I could go alot of places in 2wd and not get stuck. I will be lucky if I can get out of my driveway in 2wd with these Bfg's I guess it is personal preference I bought these cause everybody said hands down best tires ever.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 AM

I had some 33/12.5 bfg A/T's on my 4runner a while ago and they were awsome best all terrain i have tried. I also have some 33s on my f250 which i run unless i am going bogging then i throw on the boggers, and those tires preform well too. I havnt tried them but my freind has always gotten bfg mud terrains and they are the best all round preforming tire i have ever seen, they also have reallly good road life
Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

I ran some used BFGs for a year. They did so-so. They wore amazingly, and are a great looking tire, but in the ice, I liked they way my 235/75 Discount tire Pathfinders handled MUCH better.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM

I had the bfgs on my 92, have the toyo open countrys (same design as the grapplers) and in snow and rain id take the toyos anyday over the bfg's.. The bf's just pack so much and have horrible removal.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1
We have about 6 inches of snow here and even just driving around town I hardly get traction and that stupid traction control you can't turn off starts beeping and ticking at me. But with the nittos I could go alot of places in 2wd and not get stuck. I will be lucky if I can get out of my driveway in 2wd with these Bfg's I guess it is personal preference I bought these cause everybody said hands down best tires ever.

Your driving around on snow and ice I don't care if you have TSL's or stock street tires you're going to spin. I've had all kinds of tires BFG's, MTZ's, TSL's, ext. I personally like the BFG AT's but if you want traction in thick mud and now you need MT's. If I were ever going to go back to an AT it would hands down be the BFG AT.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So why didn't you buy Nittos instead?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM

my at's suck in the snow also...lol down to 30psi and i still slide like a mother...
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 AM

if you want traction in mud and snow any all terrain just inst going to cut it. You cant have it all in one tire.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 AM

I'm also wondering if he liked the Nitto's so much and they performed so well in all terrains why would he switch to something else?

I only go off other people's opinions when I NEED advice.....not when I don't.....if something works don't try to fix it or change it.

Sorry dude but, you only have yourself to blame, also I love my BFG A/T's, they perform well for me in ALL terrains....hence there name!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Albert.G
my at's suck in the snow also...lol down to 30psi and i still slide like a mother...
Do you mean 3 psi? I run around 30 psi normally.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM

I used to have a 95 isuzu rodeo until i switched to my 87 runner and on my rodeo i had 31 bfg at's and they were the best tires i could ask for..The only thing the didnt do to well was in the rain which i didnt understand..But Mud or snow it kicked a$$.. Now im moving to bfg mt's thats a diff. story
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
The bf's just pack so much and have horrible removal.
Actually they are supposed to. Nothing sticks better to snow then snow itself. Ever made a snowman? You start with a little ball and roll it. Notice how well the snow sticks? I had BFG A/T's and I think the gripped great for snow. Just look at snow tires today and you see alot of siping and that is for the snow to stick to. For mud you might as well forget about it. Very good tire and wore very well.

James
Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 PM

My '95 4Runner came with 'em and in all the years of driving, many different types of vehicles, this is the first and last time that I'll drive on them.
I've never had anything hydroplane as badly as the BFG AT's do.

Fred
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 111db
So why didn't you buy Nittos instead?
I still have the Nitto's on my stock rims in a 265/70/17 but I got the new rims and bfg tires for 400 so it was a smoking deal so I though and the Nitto's are probably going back on

Last edited by hamiltonj2w1; 12-08-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:27 PM

weird, i can slam on my brakes and stop almost on a dime with my BFG A/Ts in the rain. i havent tried em in the snow, but they look like they'll do good. maybe your driving differently, who knows? diff people like different things, if you like somethin, stick with it.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hamiltonj2w1
I still have the Nitto's on my stock rims in a 265/70/17 but I got the new rims and bfg tires for 400 so it was a smoking deal so I though and the Nitto's are probably going back on
How much tread depth is there now?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM

the bfg's have about 80% left the Nitto's have about the same the only reason I even have the bfg's is cause they came with rims and thats all I really wanted but they are 16's and the nittos I have are 17 I don't really want to go buy another set of Nittos for 16s when I can just put my stock rims back on

Last edited by hamiltonj2w1; 12-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
I'm also wondering if he liked the Nitto's so much and they performed so well in all terrains why would he switch to something else?

I only go off other people's opinions when I NEED advice.....not when I don't.....if something works don't try to fix it or change it.

Sorry dude but, you only have yourself to blame, also I love my BFG A/T's, they perform well for me in ALL terrains....hence there name!
I think he, as many of us do here, like to go on what so many here have claimed to be the best in their opinion. So, as for he being the blame, only so in taking the forums over whelming preference to the BFG AT's.

Personally, I like my Pro Comp AT's. You can keep the BFG AT's

As for what most of us find on this forum, it is what we personally have expereinced, tried and found to work. Not everyone is going to agree.
Most people may prefer filet mignon over ground steak, but there will be those who prefer the ground steak.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T'S worst tire I have tried yet