Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.4L V6 Automatic Tranny to Gear Driven Tcase

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking 3.4L V6 Automatic Tranny to Gear Driven Tcase

Doing a 3.4 swap on a 95 SASd 4Runner and customer wanted to keep the auto tranny. Pics of the whole ordeal is another thread, but the install instructions are a bit lacking in detail and pictures so I thought I'd share some of the info. Thanks to Steve for his insights!

Your standard 4 cyl gear drive tcase

Had to tear it apart to install a 23 spline input gear (used the TG 4.7 gear install instructions just to remember everything)

23 spline input gear

Old 21 spline on left, new 23 spline on right with bearing pressed on

3.4L auto tranny with the tcase and the tailhousing removed

You have to take the tailhousing off to get the bearing out the backside. You can pull the seal off the front.

Tailhousing from the front all cleaned up ready for new adapter and oil seal.

New adapter and oil seal installed. Tap in with block of wood and hammer and use some Red loc tite or sealant.

Tranny side of adapter marked up so I used the correct holes.

Tcase side of adapter makred up for the same reason

:wabbit2:
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tranny side adapter holes drilled out and non used threaded holes sealed

Tcase side adapter holes drilled out and non used threaded holes sealed

23 spline coupler installed. You have to greatly persuade the coupler onto the tranny shaft.

Tailhousing all cleaned up ready for install onto the tranny

Tailhousing installed with new adapter and oil seal. Coupler just inside the oil seal.

All done except for a few top bolts. Had to get some allen heads to fit in the recessed 2 spots up top.

Kinda hard to tighten these down, but no allen heads included.

Take your time and review the install instructions well. With all the variables it can seem a bit overwhelming with all the holes to possibly drill and the threaded holes, but once you mark things off and get a good understanding of what you are doing, it's not hard. I test fit everything while it was all apart just to confirm the holes did in fact line up (the ones I chose) and then once I drilled out holes I did a test fit dry run before breaking out the Toyota RED FIPG.

If you have any questions please ask. I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

:wabbit2: