99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra 4.7 (2uz) Timing Belt & Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im the OP. I still have the same old truck and I just had to install another timing belt due to mileage. The truck has 212,000 miles now and it is about 12 years after I installed the first replacement belt. I pulled up this thread and I was surprised that the pics still work. I used this thread to do the job because I couldn't find my repair manual.

A few notes. The belt looked fantastic. I'm sure it would have been fine for a while. The water pump was leaking (seeping really) enough that it left that pink broccoli looking residue about a half inch thick where the leak was. I also had to replace my radiator, which was leaking at the upper tank. I also replaced the cooling fan bracket (&bearing) that always seems to go out at around 250k miles. Mine seemed ok, but the bearing made just the slightest noise when spun by hand and held close to my ear. Otherwise, everything looked great and it should run like a top for another 100k until it's time to do it all again..

Originally Posted by zombieblitz
Nice write up. I do not approve how you did it though. I am in the process of doing my own 05 Tundra at this very moment. Every kit I looked at also had the crank and cam seals with them as well and you tailed to do them as required in the process. I don't condemn other peoples work so don't get me wrong. I am just wondering why you did not do them as required. Also did you change the water pump gasket that you got with your kit, for the proper tin one that most after market kits do not come with?? I myself am doing the seals, and I tossed that junk paper gasket, and bought the correct one. Save a lot of problems down the road...
Nice write up. And thanks.

My motto is if your going to do it. Do it right the first time.
I didn't replace the crank & cam seals when I did this job in 2009 because they weren't leaking and sometimes it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie. You use the word "required" like you wrote the instruction manual on this stuff. All that is "required" is that the DIYer is satisfied with his work, nothing more. After 212,000 miles, the seals were still not leaking, but I did go ahead and replace them this time, strictly due to age & miles.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 tundra timing marks not aligned

Aloha Zlathim amd thank you for the write up and pictures, very informmative.
I am new in this forum and not a mechanic this is why I appreciate the guys like you that take the time to share their experience and expertise.
I owned a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5, V8, 4.7l with over 310,000 miles. I am not the first owner, I bought it when it has 290,000.
The radiator cracked , I replaced it, truck still overheating, change the thermostat, radiator cap, still overheating so I decided to go to the next step Water Pump. Did not realize what I undertook but so far the major setback was the removal of the fan clutch. The nuts were so stucked and rounded, frozen, took me a lot of patience, lot of lubricant and some special Capri wrenches. Next AC, power steering distributor, alternator (broke the pigtail plastic part) remove a bunch of other parts cam L&R covers to expose the timing belt and now I am to the point to remove the crank bolt and I am stocked.
After watching several articles and videos I am getting confused. But I decided to follow your instructions which are the same than the Haynes repair manual as well as the recommendation on the Aisin water pump kit. But here is the problem: THE MARKS (vertical not the T mark) ON THE CAM SPROCKETS DON'T LINE UP WITH THE MARK "0" TDC ON THE CRANK SPROCKET and vice versa if I line the cam marks to the vertical mark the crank mark will be off the center BTDC. What shall I do now and what are your recommendations? Please HELP. I love this truck.
CAM L CAM R

"0" TDC

Last edited by henrisecondlife22; 12-18-2021 at 11:38 PM.