99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-31-2016, 02:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

help me please

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me please

my dad has a 2000 tundra that was built early (99) and he has the VIP alarm with a 2 button remote where only one button works for his truck, so we programmed his other button to work with my 98 taco with the vip alarm. we had to find the cental control box for the alarm in my truck to do it. mine was under the drivers eat...his is....well we dont really know, we basically took apart the whole cab looking for it and we cant find it!!! we know its not in the engine bay. anybody know where it may be? we called tons of toyota dealers and talked to the service guys and all of them are stumped....someone please help!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
my dad has a 2000 tundra that was built early (99) and he has the VIP alarm with a 2 button remote where only one button works for his truck, so we programmed his other button to work with my 98 taco with the vip alarm. we had to find the cental control box for the alarm in my truck to do it. mine was under the drivers eat...his is....well we dont really know, we basically took apart the whole cab looking for it and we cant find it!!! we know its not in the engine bay. anybody know where it may be? we called tons of toyota dealers and talked to the service guys and all of them are stumped....someone please help!

I would suggest looking under the dash on the driver side, just about the gas peddle. That area is where I thought they usally drop the control unit for most alarms. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:52 PM

we already checked there (about 10 times) its like it disapeared. we also took out the glove box and searched behind it and found nothing.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Banned

wierd.... welcome to the site jared......
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe the kick panels?
I don't know how large these things are but I know some aftermarket installers put them there.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM

I believe it's under the dash but tucked up above the steering column.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:35 PM

why the heck couldnt they just put it under the seat??? its a pin in the but to take the dash apart especially since we have a controler there now for electric brake trailors....
Old 08-31-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jared,

welcome to the forum.

did you search for the link to your father's alarm system? is it an rs3000? or rs3200? if so, see the install manual and see where they have the alarm installed and that should tell you exactly where it is.

if you cant find it in the obvious places (under the seats), then its somwhere in the dash area as you've figured out by POE. i would take yet another look under the driver's side panel and also, the radio center console.

pull out the front seat if it is bolted down so you have some room. remove all the front plastic panels and go looking with your flashlight.

people are inherently lazy and thus, take the shortest route to finishing a job. installing that brain box anywhere farther than the center radio console area would be too much work.

bob
Old 08-31-2004, 02:52 PM

it is the rs3000. what is the install manuel????? in the booklet that came with the alarm it said that the ECU's are located in different places. so we called the dealerships and all of them are stumped. how could noone know where it is. and i know for a fact it is not under the dash. it may be behind the radio, but why would they put it behind there????
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 PM

Okay, I just looked at the install guide for an '00 Tundra and the ECU is indeed under the dash.

Here is the install guide: http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/Tundra%20RS3000.pdf

Hope this helps
Old 08-31-2004, 04:42 PM

hey man, thanks for the link. i wont be able to find it till after sunday casue my dad is on a buissness trip and since our brake sytem for our trailor is in the way i dont want to break anyhting. thanks again
Old 09-07-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
hey man, thanks for the link. i wont be able to find it till after sunday casue my dad is on a buissness trip and since our brake sytem for our trailor is in the way i dont want to break anyhting. thanks again
So, were you able to find it? I'm still not sure why Toyota tried to hide the thing. Anyway, glad I could help.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:43 PM

no, its been way to hot to do anything except go to the lake this weekend, and hes leaving tommarow for antoher trip...we will do it sometime...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:47 AM

Check to the left and right of the steering column, mounted to the column against the firewall. Toyota moved the location after the '00 and for some port or dealer installed options the actual location is dependent on the installer.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Anyone know if these instructions (pdf above) apply to the 2002 Tundra Access Cab? Mine does not appear to have an alarm (no status light), but does have keyless entry with chirps, etc.

I am trying to add a second remote. I have tried the door lock procedure with no luck so far. The instructions with the remote suggest pushing a button on the ECU.

UPDATE: Based on the pdf instructions, I don't have an alarm, just the keyless entry. So I am trying to verify how to add a remote to the non-alarm keyless entry on the 2002 Tundra.

Last edited by rjparker; 10-16-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rjparker
Anyone know if these instructions (pdf above) apply to the 2002 Tundra Access Cab? Mine does not appear to have an alarm (no status light), but does have keyless entry with chirps, etc.

I am trying to add a second remote. I have tried the door lock procedure with no luck so far. The instructions with the remote suggest pushing a button on the ECU.

UPDATE: Based on the pdf instructions, I don't have an alarm, just the keyless entry. So I am trying to verify how to add a remote to the non-alarm keyless entry on the 2002 Tundra.
No they don't. The 2002 uses a RS3200 based system.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nhparrot
No they don't. The 2002 uses a RS3200 based system.
Sorry I was mistaken, the 2002 does use the RS3000.