Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i keep reading about how fj40s have 3 or even 4 speed transfer cases. how do they work and what kind of gearing do they have?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The transfer cases themselves are only 2 speed (Hi and Low range) They are called 3 and 4 speed because of the transmission they are made to bolt up to (the splines are different on the inputs. You can't put a "3 speed" case behind a four speed transmission)

Last edited by Yoda; 11-23-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ah, that cleared it up for me

lots of us washington guys in here
Old 11-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Couple years ago, I was given a car (donation for our scout troop). It sat unmolested in Boeing's parking lot for 2 1/2 months before security contacted me. They still gave me a week to get it moved.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chemist, (since there are at least 2 Davids in here)

If you find some extra $$ lying around when you get your LC, be sure and save $2k for me so I can buy this thing and haul it up here...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=177705

Seriously though, if I had to choose a project rig, one of these would be it.

Jim
Old 11-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Jim,
Washington State just sold a unimog that had a snow blower on it. It only had 6,700 miles on it !!!!!!!!! It looked more modern than the military ones on that site. Had 3 boxes of service manuals with it too. IIRC it sold at auction for $14,000.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that would be ideal too...I think I saw some pics of that one you're talking about.

I dunno why, but I've always dreamed of driving a truly unique rig. Unimogs have that in spades...I've probably only seen a handfull of them on the streets (including one they use up at Snoqualmie Pass).

Anyway, back to the Yota talk, don't want to stray from the topic...

Jim

edit: ...and they usually just list the "mileage" as "hours" since they don't usually travel too far for work...

Last edited by jruz; 11-23-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Engine-wise, would it just be easier sticking with something that already had the 350 swapped in? I've heard the stock engines have plenty of torque, but are a bit wimpy in the HP arena (not that I'd be using for long highway trips or anything).
Keep in mind, I've never even *seen* a 2F, so what I say isn't definate.

That said, as I understand it, good ol' 2F has about the same fuel consumption as a carb'd 350. I also understand that torque is much better in the low end than a 350, but (I *THINK*) the 350 catches up in the higher RPMs.

Highway wise, I think a 350 is the better of the two (the Cruiser Gods are already mad at me for leaving my Cruiser out back while Rob's Taco is being SAS'd, so I can say that hehe).

I've wheeled with one '40 that had a 2F, and it did very well. It was also able to keep up with us at 55-60, coming back from Naches. He didn't seem to have any issues with speed, or climbing hills. We didn't get going any faster than that, since we were caravaning, and the speed limit was 55.

Another benefit of a 350 is parts availability... Most of the time, you can walk into nearly any parts store and get parts for a 350, unlike with a 2F (you can get 'em, but they'll more than likely be special order).

A side effect of having a 350 is placement components (such as exhaust). With the later 4 speed models, the clutch slave cylinder has to be relocated from the passenger side to the driver's side. You can get what's called "outside-the-frame-rail" headers that address this, but I don't care for 'em 'cuz they're an aweful lot of weight to hang off the side of the head...

If it were me, and only 'cuz I've already got a SBC in my rig, I'd go for one with a 2F. You'd never be sure of the quality of the engine swap if you don't do it your self, or have someone you really trust do the work. The hardest part of doing a SBC swap is gathering up (and storing) all the parts to get it done

'course, there's always the "Cool Factor" of an SBC powered Cruiser hehe

ChrisCo
Old 11-23-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Yoda
Couple years ago, I was given a car (donation for our scout troop). It sat unmolested in Boeing's parking lot for 2 1/2 months before security contacted me. They still gave me a week to get it moved.
Hrmm... Why does that one Simpson's episode come to mind here?

"You have 1 week to move your car before it is crushed into a cube." (flips to next ticket) "You have one day to move your car before it is crushed into a cube." (flips to next ticket) "You have one day to pickup your cube"
Old 11-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Bet the 'mogs get great gas mileage?

Well, its sunday night, and I've managed to escape the weekend without making the '40 purchase, but I'm alot more informed now than I was at the beginning. As for next weekend....
Old 11-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Bet the 'mogs get great gas mileage?

Well, some of them do come with a diesel. Either way, just about all of them top out at 60mph...so that tank will last just a little bit longer (time-wise).

Jim
Old 11-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

i used to have a 71 fj40 in college as my main vehicle. i paid 2k for it and it had a chevy 350 V8 conversion in it. this was one TOUGH vehicle! it sounded so bad-ass with that engine (and exhaust) that i joked no pedestrian had ever dared step onto the street when i approached.

for an old truck that had almost no paint (it was a patchwork of primer and the original factory red/white hardtop) and some diamond plating i never ceased to be amazed by how many people would ask me how much i wanted for it. it drove like a bus -- a heavily armored bus, that is, and was a 3 speed manual. friends and acquaintances would occasionally ask to borrow it and i usually had to tell them "sorry, but this isn't like driving a car." no one ever seemed to get the 3-spd shift down and those that did could never get used to turning that big steering wheel w/out power.

i ended up putting a new chevy 350 V8 in (first one was rebuilt -- crappily, at that) and sold it after about 3 years for more than i paid; like $3000.

i wish i still had that beast ...
Old 11-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't you try to find a rust free one in Arizona? The flip side is that it will cost alot more because it will not be rusted.

Search 85282.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Will do Steve, it'd be worth the flight down to pick it up, particularly if someone local could take a look at it.

In the Seattle area they don't use too much salt on the road (don't get much snow), but with a 20+ yr old vehicle, who knows where its been.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

David,
Yes there are a bunch of us looking for the same thing right now. When I was in Tucson last week there were several in the paper, more expensive but almost always rust free. Boulder, CO is another good place to look, lots of LC's and minimal or no rust. When I was there two days ago there were several in the paper, one including a trailer so you could just drive down and tow it back. I'm in MN at my folks right now and won't even look here because of the rust problems, same with back home in Maine. As to what to look for, I'm just going on what people have told me, but the original 6 cyl is fine for wheelin but tough on the freeway, and the V8 swap is fairly straight forward with the adapters now available. Lots of botched V8 swaps out there so beware. I was actually looking into swapping in a 22re for the weight savings and simplicity, but really miss the sound of a V8 with headers so I'm still up inthe air. Good luck on the search and keep us posted on what you find.

Will do Steve, it'd be worth the flight down to pick it up, particularly if someone local could take a look at it.

In the Seattle area they don't use too much salt on the road (don't get much snow), but with a 20+ yr old vehicle, who knows where its been.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I'll definitley keep you updated. I was looking at Marlin's page, and it looks like there is the option to throw in a crawler transfer case if I wanted to get serious, but I think I'd have to keep the stock 2F transmission to make the switch. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, have to get a vehicle first.

Some guys are asking for a whole buncha money for FJ40's, but I'm hoping to find one for 4-5 grand at the absolute max. I do realize that I may spend at least that or more on mods, but I'd like to have more money up front for mods.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Some guys are asking for a whole buncha money for FJ40's, but I'm hoping to find one for 4-5 grand at the absolute max. I do realize that I may spend at least that or more on mods, but I'd like to have more money up front for mods.
Or 4-5 grand getting it relaible. Our FJ-62 is now very well groomed and maintained. It was an expensive Genuine Toyota part journey.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:27 PM

I'm hoping to find one for 4-5 grand at the absolute max.
I'm with you on that one. I wouldn't want to pay a "collector's" price for something that will see the trails.

Jim
Old 11-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yup. This whole thing started because of being a chicken about trashing a 16k vehicle. I'll wheel the 4runner until the FJ40 is locked and has some protection, and is mechanically sound (will be first order of business). The 4runner will be a daily driver only after that.

Anybody know what the lug pattern/backspacing is on the FJ40 wheels? I'm wondering if my rockcrawlers will fit?
Old 11-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Anybody know what the lug pattern/backspacing is on the FJ40 wheels? I'm wondering if my rockcrawlers will fit?
I seriously doubt it. I had a really hard time finding wheels for the FJ-62 front axle. There is some issues with the steering and brakes and the the wheels had to be a different offset and backspace than the 3rd Gen wheels.

Quick Reply: Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....