Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ryantowry_81's 1996 Tacoma Build-Up Thread - "the booger"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryantowry_81's 1996 Tacoma Build-Up Thread - "the booger"

so here is a link to my last build that is getting sold now.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...nymore-156663/

so with the addition of little ashlin rose i got to looking at a rig built for three instead of two.

in the middle of my usual craigslist scannings i found a ad in fairbanks for a 1000 dollar tacoma, ended up talking him down to 500 and a mini 14.

my buddy rodney volunteered to go for a quick road trip up to fairbanks to get her with me in the ford with my buddy rocky's trailer:

well to make a long story short rodney did not tell me he is a curse to have in a ford and my truck ended up blowing the motor while we were in fairbanks, she did put on a good smokey show though:

this is as far as we got, all loaded up:

so we ended up driving the tacoma all the way back home 350 miles, drove flawlessly. (hood is up just cause i was checking the coolant when the heater seemed to not be working too well, turns out no heater works well at -40)

big thanks to my buddy deric also for making the trip up later to recover rocky's trailer and collect my belongings out of the ford after i sold it. god i miss that truck.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM

so fast forward a couple months and a garage fire and a daughter later and i finally have some time to get back to work.

first off, i really wanted to wheel for my birthday so i shoved on some 33's i had out back and took a plasma cutter to the fender wells then added a camper shell for 100 bucks.

this is when she earned her nickname, the booger, cause she is green, ugly and slimey on the underside.
here she sits waiting for more work:

also had to fix the tailgate with some angle iron to make it work properly again since someone decided to fold it in half at some point:

so i finally got around to adding a winch, cant afford a new one right now so i stole the one off the turtle for the time being. ripped off the stock bumper to find this:

apparently the bumper was mangled because it has sustained some front end damage at some point. not really suprising.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

now here is the start of the winch plate i built, next step is to complete the bumper with some pipe:

stay tuned more to come.......
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM

didn't have alot of time last night after work but i did get my main bumper hoop bent up and fitted, what do you guys think:

(sorry for the shotty pic it was all i took this morning before work so i could post something up)

not as much a stinger, more of good front end protection so i made it steeper (only 20 deg from very) and shorter. i am not really worried about the end over end flop the stinger is for as much as protecting the radiator and front end from impact on rocks, trees, and fords.....hahaha

i have some good ideas i will hopefully get to explore before the weekend.

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 08-10-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM

as for long term plans i am in the collecting parts phase right now but here is what i am planning:

-fj-60 front widened to 66" WMS to WMS with 5.29's longs and alot of other goodies. still debating on aussie locker or ARB, will prob depend on funds

-fj-80 rear full float with 5.29's and either an aussie or detroit, depending on funds

- chevy or f-150 rear springs

-foa 14" coilovers and 3 linked front

-stock 3.4 and r150 adapted to dual gear driven cases with triple stick (hopefully)

-40x15-r17 interco LTB's with beadlocks.

- will have a semi exo cage and either a bobed bed and camper shell or full tube ben, havent decided yet.

i really want to build a truck that is as capable offroad as my last with a big enough back seat for the little one, and for it to be streetable enough to hop in and drive to the local trails so i dont have to trailer EVERYWHERE anymore.

i want it to look alot like this:

only difference is mine will be on toy axles not tons.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well get to it lol
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Black_1985_SR5
well get to it lol
it all comes down to money and time..... more in need of the $$ side.

I am still waiting for a settlement from the insurance to replace my parts stockpile from the garage fire, that should help me get started.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
sorry to hear about the recent misfortunes, but glad to see that you are still doing well... hope this thing turns out as awesome as you have planned it to be... i remember when i first joind and i was reading your posts about modding the turtle... you do some nice work...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
sorry to hear about the recent misfortunes, but glad to see that you are still doing well... hope this thing turns out as awesome as you have planned it to be... i remember when i first joind and i was reading your posts about modding the turtle... you do some nice work...
Thanks, this one wil probably move a little slower than the turtle did since money and time are tighter now with the kiddo and all.

I have managed to get the fj60 front, the custom inner longs and the axle widening spacer pieces and front and rear 5.29's already in the garage and I got a line on a full float 80 rear for 300 in Fairbanks from a buddy, just have to get up there to get it or get someone to bring it down. As soon as the turtle sells or I get my insurance money I should be able to go faster on collecting parts. Until then I am going to build a bumper and some integrated sliders and prob do a little body work.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed cant wait to see this one. good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM

well spent the weekend working on the bumper, got the tube all finished, just have to add some turn signals, a mount for the winch control box and some other little doodads. i think it turned out pretty clean and definately stout.

dicided to just use the tube for a fairlead instead of mounting the roller for now and swithching when i go synthetic. figure when i go synthetic i will just sand the bars back down and grind all the welds real smooth and it should be good
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shoot dang looks good
Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM

well got my caribou:

bumper worked perfectly for winching and pushed the brush trees out of the way, definatley need to make some mounts for some lights and prob fill in the bottom parts with some thin diamond plate to work as a bow when crossing water because i seem to be confused as to if my truck is for land or water after this last trip.

pics:

all though i did get stuck a bunch i am impressed how well she did with just a locker and some 285 mud terrains and even drove her all the way home. i do need to seal up the canopy a little better and i also learned the truck has little holes in the inned bedsides below the bedrail that lets mud and water into the bed when you spin the tires......not cool, got to fill those with some expanding foam.

calced up the MPG and averaged 7MPG for the whole trip of about 150 miles offroad.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wowowowow....waiiiit a second... There was a Taco in FAIRBANKS for $1000 on CRAIGSLIST....and I missed seeing it?.... Lucky you :\

Looking good so far. Youre a very skilled fabricator. Nice looking hunk of meat, too!

Edit: Oh, this was in the winter?

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 08-26-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Wowowowow....waiiiit a second... There was a Taco in FAIRBANKS for $1000 on CRAIGSLIST....and I missed seeing it?.... Lucky you :\

Looking good so far. Youre a very skilled fabricator. Nice looking hunk of meat, too!

Edit: Oh, this was in the winter?
yeah it was this last winter, i think late january early february.

they pop up once and a while you just have to be able to jump on them. i saw a 99 runne rthat was laid on its side down here for sale for 600 with the 3.4 and 5 speed, looked fixable, i would have picked it up if the wife would not kill me.....
Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM

well the booger and everything i can possibly sell is up for sale, big turn of events..... looks like i am transfering to olympia!

figure i can sell it all and build new down south, look out western washington here i come...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its sure as poop aint Alaska when it comes to wheeling here lol
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Black_1985_SR5
Its sure as poop aint Alaska when it comes to wheeling here lol
yeah but it is alot nicer being 4 hour drive from family vs a four day drive....lol
Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM

well tacoma sold to lil rich klien formerly of werock and it sounds like he has bigger plans for it. talk of driving it from the arctic ocean to mexico, should be cool.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should have told me you were selling it, man! I would have bought it. Oh well. I bought a POS Tundra a few weeks ago for $800. Running, driving. Currently my DD. I've got big ideas for it. Hopefully they will happen
Good luck with the house sale.

Quick Reply: ryantowry_81's 1996 Tacoma Build-Up Thread - "the booger"