Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
i found a complete front end set on ebay for 100$ (ball jonts, tire rods, etc) im not sure of the company though but im considering trying it out since it would be better than the front i currently have which is none loL!
There is tons of post and threads on the ebay stuff. Its cheap as in cheaply made,
Old 10-29-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The big question is...

WHY BUY ANYTHING BUT A OE TOYOTA PART FOR ANY FRONT SUSPENSION PART?

They have all proven to be inferior and fail much sooner than an OEM part.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
The big question is...

I know that has been established with the LBJs but Im still looking for proof that the duralast/moog tierods are inferior.....

If you could show proof of this, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM

BUMP! Same here, i want to hear from more people who actually have used the autozone parts vers others. We all know the factory toyota/OEM is the best for our trucks but most of us know we cant afford them at the same time...
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM

I know that has been established with the LBJs but Im still looking for proof that the duralast/moog tierods are inferior.....

Are you speaking of the duralast brand in particular for the LBJs or any of the aftermarket? Just curious
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not just speak to the Manufacturers?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and by manufacturers i mean MOOG and the likes......the brand i guess i shoulda said.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBANDIT57

Are you speaking of the duralast brand in particular for the LBJs or any of the aftermarket? Just curious
Looking at prices when this thread started, seems they are little better now...I just purchased left/right Moog (Japan) outer tie rod ends from AMAZON.COM for under $100, almost $40 cheaper than Advance Auto. Amazon ships super fast too. I've found Amazon lowest-price on some other parts lately too (rotors, poly bushings, ...). My mechanic-friend was super surprised because he thought Amazon only dealt with books...they're into everything now. I haven't priced Duralast though so, not sure if they've gone down or not as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 AM

I still think rock auto has the best prices, and the best return policy too.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
The big question is...

Especially when an OE TRE is $45 with even a mild discount from Toyota...
Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I just did tie rods and ball joints today, i must say, autozone had crap. None of the parts even looked alike and all made in korea or china. I went to oreilly and they sell the moog but i personally dont think they are anything special for the high price. However, from some research ive found on here the "three five" (555)" brand is still being phased out under the beck arnley name.These are the only ones made in japan. From the stampings on them i was able to confirm these were the same units i would have recieved from the dealer but half the price. Quality was far superior to any other brand ive seen thus far. I did have to go rounds with them for a day though because there is korean or tiwan crap also now being sold under the beck arnly name. I had to make them order everything they had in the HUB store and go through a dozen boxes to get the real three five brand ball joints i was after. In the end, the research and extra time was worth a quality part that will last another 200Kmiles
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by flashkl
I still think rock auto has the best prices, and the best return policy too.
Def not discounting Rock Auto in any way but thought it was worth replying for anyone listening...in this case of TRE's, Amazon was slightly cheaper than Rock Auto (after shipping). Also, both return policies are the same (within 30 days, minus original shipping). Seems definitely worthwhile adding Amazon into the mix when pricing parts (I know I will be).
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
A friend of mine bought the moog Tie rods for his chevy pickup, and they came with grease zerk holes that werent even threaded...
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM

I have moog tie rods on my ride, I dont rememeber what I payed, but I got them from Oreillys and haven't had a bit of a problem with them. A bit off topic- I just put new wheel bearings and seals on my truck the moog seals were $22.a peice. The house brand was $3.46 a peice.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattman
Especially when an OE TRE is $45 with even a mild discount from Toyota...
Hmmm cheapest I found is $78 each... Where do you buy your Toyota parts?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Hit up your local dealer and ask them to open you an account at below retail.

If they won't, TRDParts4U is one place to start...
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

just looked some up for a 92 4wd truck as a reference and I can sell them under forty dollars. Before tax and shipping!

sorry didnt look to see what section i was in but 96 tacoma 4wd also can go for 40 plus tax and the ride.

Last edited by toyotaPmanager; 11-28-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Just replaced both inner/ outter TE's, upper and lower BJ's. The TE's (both of them) are available through Autozone with the "555" stamping. These are becoming more rare through them as they no longer have that same supplier. Apparently when they order through "VDP" they order it from some where else. So they're going through some one as well. My guy over at Autozone was able to get the "555" inner tie-rods on the first shot. The Outside TE's were a different story. 4 times ordering em on the passenger and 2 times on the driver side. The Upper balljoints from MOOG are supperior to the stocked unit's from Autozone. Because of this, I didn't want to waste any more time and just ordered them through Rockauto.com. If, you look closely at the part no.s, they're the same, but there are manufacture's who make the parts as well but under different part no.s. These unit's DO NOT have the highly sought after "555" stamping. Funny note here: When my order arrived from Rockauto, I was going through it and noticed the lower bj's were in two different boxes but stamped with "555". One was clearly MOOG and the other was a plain white box. All the "555" parts had the same style green paper in the plastic bag with the part. This led me to believe that no matter who the supplier is, these all came from the same mfg.

On a side note: peow130; Just about every MOOG ball joint I've ever ordered and or replaced has never had the zerk fitting installed...and their a coarse thread designed like a sheet steel screw. If you take your time (assuming "novice" experience) and start the threads properly, you won't damage it while insuring it seat's properly. Just my experience with having to install em'.

-Ted

Last edited by snowshredder555; 02-22-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: continuing on with the post. er um rambling.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Auto-Zone's supplier Federal-Mogul and one of their suppliers is "555"

If there's a few in your area, just call around until you can find a "555" branded one instead of the chinese ones they also carry.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM

i just did the taco ball joint and outer tie rod end swap on my runner also did the inner tie rods and upper ball joints while i was at it. ordered parts through napa and they were all 555.

Quick Reply: Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends