Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yo, you surely bring up some good points, and i'm really not trying to flame anyone. I'm just trying having some fun, my life is boring.
Remember, this is a "Steering part" In most cases, to avoid expensive lawsuits from a product failure on the highway, when a potentially defective part causes someones tire to go sideways at high speeds (and cause them to "die").. Also, to avoid cost of returns from defects and the potential loss of a vendor(s) ($$$), they will try to make the best part possible to sell to as many companies as possible. This is not a piston. Its just a "tie rod", tolerances are very important, yet these parts are mostly made by automated computerized machines these days..Tolerances are tight.

I don't have a rockwell machine. Just my own critical eyes, $85.00 extra in my pocket, a Lifetime warranty, and last but not least.. a smile on my face.

Last edited by icerunner; 10-31-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:51 PM

ive used the cheapies and ive used the moogs..the moogs lasted way longer and are still going
Old 10-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icerunner
(**btw, heat treatment would likely discolor...NOPE, the exact same unpainted color)
This statement is true and not true. I work in a machine shop where we not only manufacture parts but we do the heat treating as well.

Depending on the part and the type of heat treating it gets (surface or thru hardening), it can be heat treated before or after the manufacture process. We heat treat some of our parts before the cnc process. Once that outer surface gets turned or milled, it's back to looking like normal steel. The only way to determine the type of treating it's had is by a harness test...

Last edited by KrashDH; 10-31-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
Proof does not fall into a visal category. I am glad that is enough for you. I have already explained to you that I agree they were probably made in the same plant. However, each customer has their own tolerances, OPCs, and requirements. The larger OEMs usually have the tightest controls. When parts go out of their spec range we would usually scrap them, but we are lucky enough to have resellers who will buy parts there are in a larger tolerance range zone. We sell them as other brands. Yes, all from the same location. I do not mind what you do and I make decisions like that when I buy parts as well. I just want you to understand that the Moog part may have a little better quality, or at least different (tighter) specifications.
This needs to be understood. Perfect statement.

Originally Posted by icerunner
This is not a piston. Its just a "tie rod", tolerances are very important, yet these parts are mostly made by automated computerized machines these days..Tolerances are tight.
Once again, true and not true. you have to understand manufacturing processes and machines before a statement like this can be made. There is a ton that cnc lathe's and mills can do, and the potential is incredible. This part (or assembly) probably has multiple processes that it goes through with cnc machines. But it comes down to an operator who is overseeing and checking the tolerances...essentially running the program.

And just because it's computerized, doesn't mean it can't come out of tolerance. You have to consider tool wear, the jig/holder setup, any types of defections because of forces, the rigidity of the whole setup, etc.

Products with tight tolerances cost more money. Simple as that It takes more time (whether it's the programming side or the operation side) to ensure that everything is tight. Also have to consider material. There are may different types of steel and aluminum that to the naked eye, look the same.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM

nuff said
Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bain
ive used the cheapies and ive used the moogs..the moogs lasted way longer and are still going
Yo, several of you are talking purely hypotheticals on the "possible" extra heat treatment of the Moogs. Specifically, no one really has any clue of that taking place, and either do I.

However, any of you can buy a Moog tie rod for a 99' runner and then proceed to prance on over to the local Autozone to compare it to the "Duralast" and guess what.. the same stampings, rubber boot, same little green card, castle nut, cotter pin, and same metal shaft. This we all know (or can easily verify). It's a fact that they appear to be the same.
Hypothetical "added heat treatment".. We can not know, And quite frankly, I really don't care... I have a lifetime warranty and that's a fact, not a hypothetical.

And no, you don't always get what you pay for.

As in this case, the cheepies are the "Moogs", and the Moogs are the cheepies.
Because, at least for the Duralast, the tie rods are the very same part... Just a different box.. Oh yea, don't forget the extra $85.00 in savings in my pocket! HA-ha.

Last edited by icerunner; 11-01-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 AM

There is no way in hell all the 555 parts have different tolerances or specs based upon the brand they're sold under. That's just ridiculous. These parts are low volume at this point, and no factory is going to produce 6 different models of the same part. I can't even fathom why someone would think this was happening.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Midget96
There is no way in hell all the 555 parts have different tolerances or specs based upon the brand they're sold under. That's just ridiculous. These parts are low volume at this point, and no factory is going to produce 6 different models of the same part. I can't even fathom why someone would think this was happening.
there talking about "binning" meaning at the end of the production line some are closer to perfect then others. then "theoretically" the better parts can then go into the moog boxes.

this thread has been a great read for me as im in the market for some lower ball joints.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM

I bought some tre's from autohausaz.com and they were in an orange box marked 555...but they had grease fittings. Do the moogs or autozone tre's have zyrk fittings?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM

the "555" company makes allot of OEM parts for toyota and mitsubishi, they are made to the specs you mentioned earlier, BUT they also ship parts off to get heat treated and/or cryo treated to buyers specs. kinda like gasoline, yea it all comes from the same pipe, but each individual company adds their own stuff to make it "better". and heat treating or cryo treating does not necessarily discolor the material.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 PM

they way i see it. its like comparing stanley tools to my snap on tools. ya they look the same but there wrenchs wont take the beating that my snap on will. or any other mac maco. ( im a snap-on guy). but thats the way that i see this.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when i was at my Vo-tech shop..they have sent back more snap-on tools than stanley's...just sayin lol..

most were Impact wrenches though lol they got used a lot..but the stanley's got used the same amount
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Guys I work at advance auto part & I did ask this same question. Moog is heat treated and has a few lil extras with it as for the cheaper brand dont, so if your buying it for your yota go moog.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

there are "555" parts that are made in either china or taiwan and these look like the genuine 555 parts that are made in japan...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
A lifetime warranty on cheaper tie rod ends sounds great, but quickly becomes false economy if you have to replace them more often and then pay for yet another alignment...

Andreas
Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM

I realize I'm a little late on this thread, but I would like to jump in. The Moog TREs I just recieved don't say 555. They say Moog Problem Solvers.

Now the center link I just recieved, supposedly Moog, has Three (555) Five Made in Japan stamped on the ball studs. One of the ball studs does not feel good at all. It feels like it is junk. I have been trying to figure out if I recieved a cheap part in a moog box, or a moog part in a moog box? I'm so freaking tired of reading about this that I think I'm going to just run it. That, and I don't want to wait for another center link to show up.

Any comments or ideas?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM

In the spirit of halloween, im bring a thread back from the dead. I think there is a very good possibility that it could be a moog part in a duralast box. Diehard did it with an oddessy battery. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the autozone tie rod ends. If so any feed back?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
In the spirit of halloween, im bring a thread back from the dead. I think there is a very good possibility that it could be a moog part in a duralast box. Diehard did it with an oddessy battery. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the autozone tie rod ends. If so any feed back?
x2, I'm in the market for some BJ's and TRE's...would like some feedback from those who actually wheel and use their rig as a DD/WW.
Thanks,

-Ted
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM

i found a complete front end set on ebay for 100$ (ball jonts, tire rods, etc) im not sure of the company though but im considering trying it out since it would be better than the front i currently have which is none loL!

Quick Reply: Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends