Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who's running alcohol injection??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I get it now. The place in OKC I've been going to has underground tanks and a pump like at a gas station. But its just for meth, the nozzle is so big it doesn't fit inside a normal gas can.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TKGN1
100% meth in all cases I know of. I run 100%.
Also, denatured alcohol was used for a few years before methanol became the better choice.

here is a link to the alky forums on the buick boards, might be some useful info there. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/alc...-propane-tech/
Nice link.

I haven't done much research into the mixtures since I installed my system a few years ago, so I went back to my source to see if anything had changed. It appears first glance to be the same recommendation, that its the water that really does the cooling. Here's a link: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1334

Any thoughts on that?

BTW are you going to school at A&M?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the water is the cooling part, alcohol basically for power (higher octane) about 116 equivalant. I run 50/50 for price/safety but occasionally liked to run 100% for fun before I S/C'ed. Does anyone know if the alcohol also provides cooling of any kind? My buddy's 900 HP Evo IX and other ricer setups all seem to run 100% with their turbos, omitting the water completely; my guess is HP? It would seem any cool liquid atomized pre-intake would lower the temp resulting in a denser/cooler air charge to some degree (no pun intended...)

Thanks for the info about the meth contamination; I'll have to see what they're doing at the shop when they fill my cans; don't want to have to pay for a new pump anytime soon!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nice link.

I haven't done much research into the mixtures since I installed my system a few years ago, so I went back to my source to see if anything had changed. It appears first glance to be the same recommendation, that its the water that really does the cooling. Here's a link: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1334

Any thoughts on that?

BTW are you going to school at A&M?
LOL, no man, I'm a few years past college but I did date a few girls that went there! Been in the Bryan/College Station area all my life.

I believe why most that I know stick with 100% meth is for the cooling properties under high boost. I'll be honest, if adding water to the mix showed significant gains, I garuantee there would be alot more cars out there doing the 50/50 mix. Realize that the main reasons most run it on the Buicks is to be able to run high boost, pump gas, and hold detonation at bay, not using it as a "power adder" but more of a detonation preventor.
I have not done any testing on rather a water mix would be better or not, but what I can tell ya is that 100% meth works for me.
As aa1911 says, water mix worked on his car but his buddies car liked 100% meth. I believe what type of engine and the the dynamics of the intake/injectors/alky nozzle play an important role on how and where the alky/fuel/air are sprayed and mixed. Also, if there has been significant testing done on certain types of set-ups (Buicks for example) you get a lot of feed back on what works, what doesn't.

By the way, somewhere in the BCS area there is a Vette owner that is really butthurt today from getting raped by an '87 Buick last night.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM

hahaha, nice... Yeah, I run water for additonal safety plus the cleansing effect and I'm only running 8 psi of boost so it's probably not an issue anyway. Once I finally get the time to really tune my timing and meth together a bit better I expect some decent gains; my fuel map is tuned beautifully but I don't think my timing is quite right. I've heard of people actually losing HP when they put a meth kit on (even at 100%) but after tuning the engine they saw huge gains. Like I stated before, my meth/water mix is only getting me an additional 10 HP right now, there's plenty more to be had!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
forgive me for bringing back a thread from the dead, but i have a few questions. first is the voltage controller on the tps for a 3vze. im not boosted or plan to be anytime soon but im very interested in this mod. do you have pics or a link of where u got the voltage controller or is it something i can buy from ace or lowe's?? second is a stand alone ecu or piggy back required or useful with the meth injection? i have several mods on my truck already that have helped a great deal (see sig) but they were also a headache to retune the truck to be drivable. so if i add meth injection will i need a fuel map or piggy back to help it or just plug and play with the voltage controller?? any info pics or links is appreciated
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM

it's plug and play really unless you inject a large amount. a large amount for a veezy would probably be anything over about 5-7 or so GPH nozzles, I'm running a recommended 2gph. a 3 would also be fine for this. I ran a 3 in my 3.4 for a long time with excellent results before I bumped up to a 5.

the voltage controller is available from Devil's Own, they run about $155 I think. you really don't need a controller though, take a look at TexasAces's DIY meth injection thread, very good info and you can put together a system very cheap. You really don't need to waste money on a controller for the 3vze, it's not worth it. A simple on/off control is all that is needed, usually a vacuum switch of some type.

D.O. makes great nozzles, they can be had pretty cheap and tubing/connectors, tanks, etc are also available from many alcohol injection vendors. AEM, Cooling Mist, Aqua Mist, many others out there.

any questions, ask away; tons of pros, no real cons to meth injection!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM

and the link....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-150-a-222254/
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Thanks for the reply and the recommendations about the nozzle and the voltage controller. I have read that thread many times about the diy meth setup and that's when I learned you had it on a veezy. My only sticking point so far is the switch. Hes saying run an on/off switch on the throttle body or gas pedal. I guess I'm not clear on what area would work better. I'm thinking gas pedal but I wonder how well it would work with cruise control. Any thoughts or further recommendations would be helpful
Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 AM

I would probably do the TB over the gas pedal, more accurate I think; a lot of times I mush on the pedal in too high a gear, my system won't come on until I get a set amount of airflow going through the tube.

You want it coupled with airflow unless you are running boost (then pressure/MAP sensor is best), the MAF is good for NA engines but since I could not find a usable 0-5v signal anywhere on the VAFM in the veezy, the TPS was my next choice and it works well. It does not come on quite as soon as I want with my controller at the lowest voltage, but it's pretty decent and functions flawlessly.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 AM

oh yeah, and depending on where you hook it up to the gas pedal, cruise should work also as it physically moves the pedal.

I was curious if my voltage controller would work in cruise, and of course! works perfect as it's measuring airflow, I shoulda guessed that one before.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM

oh yeah, and depending on where you hook it up to the gas pedal, cruise should work also as it physically moves the pedal.

I was curious if my voltage controller would work in cruise, and of course! works perfect as it's measuring airflow, I shoulda guessed that one before.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

what airflow are you talking bout? im not boosted so that isnt an issue. im just wondering how to set up a switch on the TB since that is A LOT of travel on the it.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

I have mine in my taco hooked up to the MAF, for the veezy you just need an on/off switch of some type to kick on the system at a desired point, no need for a full progressive injection.

basically, you don't want to be injecting all the time, just during moderate to heavy acceleration really.

as for a switch, a mechanical switch of some type hooked to the TB butterfly plate position (which would be roughly the same as the gas pedal?) or a switch than measures voltage that can be adjusted to turn on at say 2 volts; would be the same as a voltage controller just not progressive. Granger online has tons of stuff, DelCity is a great company that I have ordered from if you want to go the electrical route.

I need to go back and read TA's thread...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM

awesome info. you have given me someplace to start looking for my switch. thanks a ton for your time and knowledge
Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM

sure thing! mcmasters was the place that TA has a link to in his thread, lots of goodies there I just have not personally ordered from them yet. Their switches look like they would be pretty easy to set up.

I was a bit nervous at first injecting water into my engine but it's completely good for it and won't screw anything up.

started this thread because after doing a few alky setups, I can't believe more people are not doing it especially with gas costs today.

let us know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to share what I know!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM

speaking of gas prices... how much improvement in mpg's are you getting?? im currently getting ~~18 mpg. just wondering how much improvement i could get from this mod.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM

very little to quite a bit depending on driving habits, nozzle size, the switch setting, etc but on average I would be safe saying you should see at least 1mpg improvement across the board.

my taco saw better improvement than my veezy but it also has a lot more to improve on; I'm also running a smaller nozzle in my 3vze.

Also play around with different mixtures of dH2O and methanol, you can even use washer fluid.

To be accurate, I would try and stick with one grade of fuel and one gas station for a while so that you might be getting close to the same fuel and therefore fair/accurate results in mpg's; the ethanol (up to 10%) is BS, some stations have been caught with as much as nearly 30% ethanol. That's enough to completely negate your injection.

(just did a road trip thru WA, OR, ID and MO in my monster machine, mostly highway mileage of course with some variation in elevation/wind/hills, etc but got as low as 12.8 mpg's on some crap 7/11 gas and as much as 17.1 I think on ethanol free 91 octane.)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM

can't remember if I've mentioned it on here yet but prior to SCing, my 3.4 was ringing in about 275 miles or so on a tank, sometimes pushing 300 but very rare. After alky injection with only a 3gph nozzle, I jumped to 325 easily and hit 353 as a record for a tank of fuel! that was driving like a throttle jockey idiot too, I could feel a real difference in power.

(then I put bigger tires and steel wheels on and I'm back to about 270 miles on a tank, ha! I need a tune though.... been like 2 years! runnin good)
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa1911
can't remember if I've mentioned it on here yet but prior to SCing, my 3.4 was ringing in about 275 miles or so on a tank, sometimes pushing 300 but very rare. After alky injection with only a 3gph nozzle, I jumped to 325 easily and hit 353 as a record for a tank of fuel! that was driving like a throttle jockey idiot too, I could feel a real difference in power.

(then I put bigger tires and steel wheels on and I'm back to about 270 miles on a tank, ha! I need a tune though.... been like 2 years! runnin good)
I met Texas Ace the other day, bought a tranny from him, and was scoping out his setup. Pretty sweet. His gauge pods look like a freakin Christmas tree!! My 99 SC Taco gets HOT! Does fine in everyday driving, but I start towing, even a moderate load and have the A/C on and hit a big hill, it wants to stay in boost, of course, but needle starts heading up and stays that way. He was thinking I should hook it up to the 7th injector closeout as I have the 6 larger injectors. I think he's dead on. I was looking at the cool mist setup that has the variable controller. I really like the ability to change my setup on the fly, in case I do decide to start beating on the throttle, or tow, or it's just August in Texas. Gonna stick this tranny in and that's definately my next project.

Quick Reply: Who's running alcohol injection??