Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's going on with my 3vze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AW1090
hey, trunner...thanks for all the help and I'd love to see the pic. Which of the $56 ones on carsound am I to get? There are a couple with 2 1/4 so I'm kinda confused. Sorry, I'm just diving into the exhaust thing and trying to do as much research as I can along the way. So is the cat 2" in and 2 1/4" out? Thanks again
He has them listed over and over because of the auction style of selling. Call the listed phone number and he will be able to sell it to you for the same price, but then you won't have to deal with eBay. The cat is the same size in and out. You can get the 2" which is stock size or if you plan on using 2.25" exhaust pipes, then get the 2.25" cat. Just make sure to let him know that you plan to go with 2.25" or he will send you the stock size. I forgot to get the picture last night, but I will still get one up in this thread today.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 AM

Hey OneTrickToy,

did you find out if it was your Cat? Im having huge powerloss issues too. It wont even hardly pull while in 4th gear. I went through Grants Pass this weekend and I had to throw it in third up the hills and take them at about 40-45 mph. It was embarrassing. Its never been that bad!! Im thinkin Im haviing the same issues youre having. BTW, Im from Bellingham and Im coming home to visit this weekend. Wish I was driving my Runner up, but Im flying this time. What school do you go to? Oh, and I dont like the idea of not using your Cat either. Keep the air clean up there, thats something I miss about Washington, CLEAN AIR!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:57 PM

Haven't fixed it yet. I've been insanely busy. I'm going to *try* and get it pressure tested tomorrow between work and school. That and I'm going to go pull the cap off my rotor right now. I just replaced it do to rusted points and my mechanic was telling me that I might have some rust particles floating around in there causing my erratic hesitation. Heh, feel free to stop by and help me work on it this weekend

I'm currently going to WCC. I'm just about done and I'll be transferring to WWU in the spring. I've been taking the slow route . Did you go to HS here in B'ham? If so, which? I was at BHS 96-97 and 97-98, and SqHS 98-99 and 99-00.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hey one trick I would definitly say that your problem is a plugged or partially plugged cat. i have the same trouble my mechanic and i diagnosed the same problem in my truck two weeks ago. Don't drive around too long with your truck in that condition you may end up cracking the manifold (from the excess heet/pressure) or warping your cyl. heads (heat). All that happened to me was I blew the 02 sensor out of its hole :-( but at least it was nanging by its cord so i did'nt loose it :-). I'm having an oversize 2.5" exhaust with free flow cat/muffler installed from the manifold back. Custom set-up my guy came up with years ago. going to cost about 750.00Cdn. Just stuck waiting on him getting the concrete poured on his new shop floor. I'll let you know how it works /sounds. Aviator
Old 10-13-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by OneTrickToy
Haven't fixed it yet. I've been insanely busy. I'm going to *try* and get it pressure tested tomorrow between work and school. That and I'm going to go pull the cap off my rotor right now. I just replaced it do to rusted points and my mechanic was telling me that I might have some rust particles floating around in there causing my erratic hesitation. Heh, feel free to stop by and help me work on it this weekend

I'm currently going to WCC. I'm just about done and I'll be transferring to WWU in the spring. I've been taking the slow route . Did you go to HS here in B'ham? If so, which? I was at BHS 96-97 and 97-98, and SqHS 98-99 and 99-00.

Well, let me know what ends up working for ya. SOunds like the Cat. is the problem, maybe this will give me an excuse to buy a new exhaust.
Yeah I went to HS there. I went to Sehome, graduated the same year as you though. I went to WCC for a year and then decided, this isnt for me and joined the Coast Guard. And here I am today in California. Thats funny you went to BHS. A good friend of mine went to school there(BHS,Squal.HS) and just recently moved down here, maybe you know him. Jon Ritmueler?
I dont know If Im gonna have time to come by and help you out with your car, even though I would like to. I got a pretty busy schedule so far. But you never know. Ill PM you or something if I get some time one of those days to see if you need any help. Ill be up Friday night-Tuesday.
BTW, where do you go wheelin at up there? I never did much in High school, we used to go up to Academy near Lake Whatcom, but even then, that wasnt too great. Im moving back next year so Ill need to hook up with some people to go wheelin.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:21 AM

Yep, I was good friends with Jon. Haven't seen him in a LONG time though. I went up Academy in HS but since I moved back here they've had it blocked off. The gate that was past Academy is locked, and at the top of Academy are several warning signs and they put cables and cement blocks across each entrance. Someone told me they were just wheeling up there(new entrance), but I don't care to get fined or possibly arrested. I keep meaning to go wheeling out at the North Fork, but I have more work on my truck before I go out there. BTW, what's your name? I was supposed to go to Sehome so I know a lot of people that went there.

Logan Harman
Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 AM

Yep, I was good friends with Jon. Haven't seen him in a LONG time though. I went up Academy in HS but since I moved back here they've had it blocked off. The gate that was past Academy is locked, and at the top of Academy are several warning signs and they put cables and cement blocks across each entrance. Someone told me they were just wheeling up there(new entrance), but I don't care to get fined or possibly arrested. I keep meaning to go wheeling out at the North Fork, but I have more work on my truck before I go out there. BTW, what's your name? I was supposed to go to Sehome so I know a lot of people that went there.

Logan Harman
Atleast this is your post so I dont feel bad about jackin it up. Thats funny you were good friends with Jon. Yeah, I hadnt seen him in like 2.5 years and then he called me one day and told me he moved down here. We hung out just the other weekend. I dont know how that guy does it, but he is such a ladies man. He always has so many beautiful women with him! But anyways, my name is Scott Bruton. Too bad about Academy. When I look back on it, there must be some great spots to go. Ferndale must have something up there. My buddie and I used to go hunting out in ferndale near the Lummi Reservation and we took his toy through some nasty stuff to get to those spots. ah the good ol days.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:55 AM

uh oh... A fellow hunter! If you do any archery I'll hook you up with some good hunting locations when you get back. DNR right on the edge of town with a big buck that I just can't get.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:09 AM

uh oh... A fellow hunter! If you do any archery I'll hook you up with some good hunting locations when you get back. DNR right on the edge of town with a big buck that I just can't get.

I havnt done much deer hunting. Never got tags or anything. Went on some trips to E. Washington a few times with my buddy. Did mostly duck and goose. Cant wait to start slayin em again soon. But I will defenitely be gettin into the deer scene when I move back. I'll be lookin you up!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey one trick I would definitly say that your problem is a plugged or partially plugged cat. i have the same trouble my mechanic and i diagnosed the same problem in my truck two weeks ago. Don't drive around too long with your truck in that condition you may end up cracking the manifold (from the excess heet/pressure) or warping your cyl. heads (heat). All that happened to me was I blew the 02 sensor out of its hole :-( but at least it was nanging by its cord so i did'nt loose it :-). I'm having an oversize 2.5" exhaust with free flow cat/muffler installed from the manifold back. Custom set-up my guy came up with years ago. going to cost about 750.00Cdn. Just stuck waiting on him getting the concrete poured on his new shop floor. I'll let you know how it works /sounds. Aviator
Maybe that would explain why I have a exhaust manifold leak on the pass side? It was like that when I got the vehicle and I have been driving it for about 2 months...Maybe I should back off until I get my exhaust done and new headers, hopefully no damage has happened to my head/valves....