Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking that the clutch-cancel-switch would already have a relay in it since it works in this way - the switch remains lit after being pushed until the ignition is turned off. I've never pulled a CCS to see if the relay was right behind it, but someone with a manual might do it and tell us whats on the backside of the switch...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how those are built. I havent ever taken one out and looked at it really. Ours is an auto so I cant look there.

I am not sure if I will do a momentary button or just use the rocker switch method. But if I add the latching relay I will post up the info for it in case anyone wants it.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 AM

Disabling ABS

I just chk out the Andy Mod, great info (I am always impressed how someone can find a way to override bypass or disable a system). I have an 01 taco 4dr 4wd (non-TRD). By the looks of the picture and info provide it does not appear the Andy Mod will apply to my vehicle. Anyone have any info on how to switch off my ABS.

Last edited by Taco488; 10-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
If your Tacoma has a similar pressure switch, it sould be possible. Can you post a pic of your master cylinder / fluid reservoir area?

I'm glad to see people are still making use of this mod - I've had no issues since first installing it.

Andreas (the "And" in AndyMod)
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taco488, check out this thread. I believe it's post # 6 that details how to do it:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...tch-off-21308/

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by engifineer
Hello everyone, I just registered here today. Found the site while looking for this very mod. Figured I would search for it rather than re-inventing the wheel First, let me say thanks to those that figured it out. I will be doing this shortly to my 01 SR5.

I did notice someone was trying a momentary setup that would automatically reset when you turned the truck off. I tried reading all the pages (a lot of them!) and didnt see if they found exactly what they were looking for, so, as a car junkie and electronics guy, thought I could shed some light. I applogize if this is already posted and I missed it.

You can create a latching relay for this fairly easilly. It will work just like a motor starter in a sense.

First you need a relay with one set of NO contacts and one set of NC contacts. One set will be for the VSC disable and one for the latching portion.

Wire the NC contacts in the same way you would your switch to disable the system.

Now, for the relay control. Wire 12V ign power to one side of the normally open momentary pushbutton. Wire the other side of the pushbutton to the coil power on the relay. And of course, the other side of the relay coil to ground. So, when you press the button and release, it will momentarilly trigger the relay.

Next, to latch, wire the same IGN power to one side of the NO contacts. Wire the other side of that contact to the relay coil power. You are basically placing the NO contact in parallel with the pushbutton.

Now, when you bump the momentary switch, it opens the NC contact (disabling the VSC) and also closes the NO contact, creating a constant circuit to the coil, so when the pushbutton is released, the relay remains energized (this is sometimes called a memory latch as well). Since the NO contact is powered by IGN (switched) power, when you turn off the ignition, the relay will be de-energized, so the VSC system will be on again when you start the vehicle. That is, until you push the momentary button again to latch the relay.

Now, if I am misreading what someone is doing, please correct me. But from all I have read, the truck must be turned off and back on once the TRAC switch is closed in order to turn VSC back on. So someone wanted a way to have this happen automatically so they dont forget, then having to turn the truck off, close the switch, then back on.

If this is what they were needing, I would be happy to draw the schematic and look up the relay needed to do this. It is a pretty simple to build setup.

You can use this setup any time you need a latching relay and dont have one available.
Good info, but you don't need that complex a setup in this case. All it takes to disable the system is a momentary interruption of ground. After that, you can try reconnecting it as many times as you want and it won't re-enable the systems until you shut the truck off and restart it.

So if you want it to be automatically reset every time you start the truck, wire in a momentary pushbutton with normally closed contacts (contacts open when you press the button). When the truck is running and you press the momentary button in, the systems will be disabled. When you release the button, the systems will still be disabled. Shutting the truck off and restarting it will re-enable the system. No relay required.

If you want a bit more control over when the system gets reset, install a regular on-off switch instead of the momentary switch. Turn the switch off to disable the systems, then turn the switch back on when you want to re-enable the systems (requires shutting off and starting the truck.)
Old 10-14-2007, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Good info, but you don't need that complex a setup in this case. All it takes to disable the system is a momentary interruption of ground. After that, you can try reconnecting it as many times as you want and it won't re-enable the systems until you shut the truck off and restart it.

So if you want it to be automatically reset every time you start the truck, wire in a momentary pushbutton with normally closed contacts (contacts open when you press the button). When the truck is running and you press the momentary button in, the systems will be disabled. When you release the button, the systems will still be disabled. Shutting the truck off and restarting it will re-enable the system. No relay required.

If you want a bit more control over when the system gets reset, install a regular on-off switch instead of the momentary switch. Turn the switch off to disable the systems, then turn the switch back on when you want to re-enable the systems (requires shutting off and starting the truck.)
I looked into this pretty heavily. What I wanted was a push button switch that would disable the system, then re-enable without having to shut the truck off by pushing the button again. Based on what I learned this was not possible so I just went with a standard on/off switch.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 PM

I don't see PDF attachments or pictures? Are they still available? Can they be re-posted?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 AM

This may help
http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportru...vsc_switch.htm