Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Vibration/Shaking Driving Me Crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys, i have the vibrating problem myself, and i think its either u joints or the driveshaft, gonna carry it to the dealer mon. what will be the ballpark fix at a dealership to repair this, the ujoints im talking about !
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when mine did that i had a tire that was out of round, brand new tires and at 60 it would start and the faster i went the more violent it got hope this helps
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jrm
Had the same experience with a new set of tires. they tried twice to get it to balance and then defended themselves by blaming the new tires and bilstein HDs.

Then i read THIS:
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/haweka/index.html

Then i coughed up the $100 for an balance using this tecnique and the 65-70mph shake is gone..
Wow, that is really good information! Does anybody know if Discount Tire uses these things? I'd prefer to take it back to them since they'll do it for free.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM
jrm

Originally Posted by gdutch
Wow, that is really good information! Does anybody know if Discount Tire uses these things? I'd prefer to take it back to them since they'll do it for free.
My local Big-O tire, Alameda Ca., did the balance.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Try this, switch tires. F to R , R to F. I had a shake prob years ago to the point where the seatbelt would lock, at 57 mph.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Try this, switch tires. F to R , R to F. I had a shake prob years ago to the point where the seatbelt would lock, at 57 miles per hour.
I had my tires rotated when they were balanced, and the vibration went from front left to right rear, but at least I know it's the tire that's off.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Having spent quite a bit of time on and off chasing this same vibration, thought I'd post my solution in this thread for future search efforts.

Steering rack bushings. Very hard to determine when on a lift, (multiple times mind you) very, very f'n easy to determine with wife in rig, turning wheel and you're underneath. Then it all becomes oh so clear, hehe, staring at your steering rack moving a good half inch to the left and back to the right

After a little research, I ordered the energy suspension poly bushings with the correct size sleeve from Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnerrackbushkit.htm

Easily done in under an hour, but I have access to many tools, lift, etc. I used a ball joint press on the small bushing and my air hammer on large bushing. My rig drives like my Talon now. Very nice indeed.

I will add that Road Force balancing our bigger tires is critical. As a tech, I road force balance every new tire I put on. Good stuff.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 AM

those vibration gremlins are hard to find...thanks for sharing your findings
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM

most of my vibration is in the rear and some mild vibration in the drivers side floorboard. could this vibration be caused by the steering rack bushings ?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM

I had vibration issues. Did the Tundra brake upgrade about a year ago and the vibrations went away. I believe that the OEM rotors are too under sized. They heat up way too quick. Just my thoughts. Oh ya I have had a couple of sets of Goodyear tires in the past. Never liked 'em.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just wanted to update as well. I did Energy Suspension steering rack bushings and the steering wheel vibration significantly decreased.

I also am now running the first Michelins (LTXs) in my lifetime and compared to the Nitto Terra Grapplers they are smooth riding. The set I am on was used and now I see why people spend a little more to get them.

Vibration is gone. Also I am on stock rims at this time versus my earlier American Racing 767 so not sure what all is related....
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Sounds like an alignment issue to me.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Poly Bushings

Just installed the poly steering rack bushing set. No improvement here...Still shakes when hitting 65 MPH and above.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 AM

check out this page,it has a lot of information on vibrations
http://www.aa1car.com/library/vibrations.htm
Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Update

Several years later... Here is an update. I've had more mechanics look at my 4Runner. None can pinpoint the vibration issue. Lots of time/money spent. Most recently, I had ujoints replaced and driveline was taken off and confirmed to be balanced. Still shakes.

However, this weekend I changed the oil and while tightening the oil filter I felt a loose bolt. The bolt is for the driver's side motor mount and the other bolt for the same mount is missing!!! Could that be the source of all my pain?

I also jacked up the car and checked front end for TREs, Bearings, Sway Bar bushings, Ball joints, etc.. The only play was driver's side tire with hands at 3 and 6. I've been told that's TREs so I plan on replacing the inner and outer this weekend along with the trashed sway bar bushings, new motor mounts, rotors and pads. Hoping that will do the trick.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Engine mount bolts replaced and tightened, no improvements. Saturday I will be looking at other items mentioned.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Vibration above 64 mph

I have the same vibration, on acceleration only, above 64 mph. If I let off the accelerator, the vibration stops immediately. I have had the tires balanced using the lug adapter, replaced the driveshaft with a new one with sealed u-joints, no fitting to grease, drained and refilled the rear end with Mobil 1 75W 90 and anti slip additive, checked all brakes, had rotors turned, rotated tires front to rear (no change), inspected all front end components, no slack in steering.
2001 4Runner 2WD 166000 miles
Subscribed to this thread!

***Update***
Took truck to Toyota Dealer in Delray Beach today, had the transmission serviced, and had the tires balanced. I have previously had the tires balanced three different times at two different places before going here. It is not vibrating anymore! The solution was the driveshaft and a wheel balance at the dealer! I watched the dealer's tech do the balancing, and he was using a cone shaped fitting for the rim on the machine. SOLVED.

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 08-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LemonRage
Engine mount bolts replaced and tightened, no improvements. Saturday I will be looking at other items mentioned.
I was thinking along the same lines but I had the tranny mount in mind.....I assume you have an auto so a new tranny mount would be worth a try....also a good preventative maintenance item.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

I have an 02 Tacoma 4x4 5spd with 190k miles. I get the vibration at 70mph, uphill, downhill ect.... can feel it in the seat and steering wheel. In 4wd there is no vibration at 70mph ??
Old 08-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by LemonRage
Still holding my breath on this one. I have similar issues. Replaced the drive shaft, tires, rebalanced tires, alignment, replaced transfer case, lower ball joints.

I have loud drone noise when accelerating, maintaining speed, or coasting at 60-73mph. If I coast in neutral then it goes away though.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shaking Driving Me Crazy!!!