Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-21-2016, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra Brake Upgrade - PC'd my Calipers High Gloss Red

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice writeup and shots. Thanks for sharing your results.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet, i think i wanna do blue on mine..
Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM

How much did the whole project cost you roughly?

cuz my brakes SUCK! and it takes a lot of pushing to actually stop, so I'm thinking about doing the upgrade...

I would paint mine prolly blue
Old 12-31-2007, 09:56 AM

4runr4nick - Look up the Tundra brake upgrade in the tech section. It lists all of the parts and prices.

Rock Slide - Good job on the pics. I wanted to go with Tundra's, too, but I will see how this new set up works before spending any more cash.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4rnr4nick
How much did the whole project cost you roughly?

cuz my brakes SUCK! and it takes a lot of pushing to actually stop, so I'm thinking about doing the upgrade...

I would paint mine prolly blue
I've edited my original post to include where I purchased each of the parts and the prices of each. (Paragraph above parts list tells where I bought them.)

Yeah, these new brakes are great. I actually enjoy stopping now

Originally Posted by cackalak han
4runr4nick - Look up the Tundra brake upgrade in the tech section. It lists all of the parts and prices.

Rock Slide - Good job on the pics. I wanted to go with Tundra's, too, but I will see how this new set up works before spending any more cash.
I was unable to find the parts at the same prices as others did, so I went ahead and edited my original post to include the prices I paid for them. Thank you anyway though.

Again, it wasn't much more for the Tundra parts vs the stock parts since I was replacing everything anyway.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM

NICE...Rollin...Rollin
I will have to do that upgrade. I just recently did my brakes with powerslot rotors and yellow EBC pads. I was impressed but i wish i read this upgrade before i did all the work. I would have done the Tundra instead.

Happy New Years all..
Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice, i like urs but i think i would also go with blue on my truck, my brakes are getting bad so i will probably do it soon. very nice work
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Rockslide - do you have the part numbers for the rotors you got? I am seeing two different sets of rotors on AutoPartsWarehouse.com, one for 2000-2006 Tundra and one for 2000-2002 Tundra. Can you please post which one is the right one? TIA
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dynamo
Rockslide - do you have the part numbers for the rotors you got? I am seeing two different sets of rotors on AutoPartsWarehouse.com, one for 2000-2006 Tundra and one for 2000-2002 Tundra. Can you please post which one is the right one? TIA
Taken directly from the confirmation email they sent me after I ordered them:

2000 - 2002 Toyota Tundra Brembo Brake Disc Brake Disc Price: $66.95 Qty: 2 Part #: BR25534

The total comes to $133.00, but they sold them to me for $124.00 out the door.

Here's the link too: Rotor

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 01-02-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Looks great!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM

a little help

so I just purchased on 02 4runner, thundercloud metallic and it needs new brakes and rotors, i'd like to do the tundra brake upgrade but had a couple questions: i found the tundra brakes and rotors for a really good price, but couldn't find a good deal on the tundra calipers (rock slide...what exactly where the stock cores that you returned? does the dealer normally refund you for those?), but could i (or should i) use the stock calipers on the tundra rotors and brakes? and i was planning on going with napa brakes and rotors...any thoughts on those? I saw rock slide that you went with oem pads and brembo rotors...are those better?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by docrunner
so I just purchased on 02 4runner, thundercloud metallic and it needs new brakes and rotors, i'd like to do the tundra brake upgrade but had a couple questions: i found the tundra brakes and rotors for a really good price, but couldn't find a good deal on the tundra calipers (rock slide...what exactly where the stock cores that you returned? does the dealer normally refund you for those?)
how good of a price? And how worn are these tundra rotors & pads you found? I got a brand new set of Brembo rotors for $124. IMO, I'd purchase a new set of rotors. That way, you know exactly what you're getting. Pads are not much either. Personally, I'd purchase those new too.

As far as the core goes, I bought a new set of reman calipers from Advanced Auto for $300. I returned my 4Runner calipers back to them in the same box the tundra calipers came in and they gave me a $100 back as my refund. They did not seem to care what they were getting back, as long as it was a caliper of some kind. (They did not even to open the box just to make sure I was returning calipers and not something else.)

But could i (or should i) use the stock calipers on the tundra rotors and brakes? and i was planning on going with napa brakes and rotors...any thoughts on those? I saw rock slide that you went with oem pads and brembo rotors...are those better?
Do not use your stock 4Runner calipers on tundra rotors. Get the tundra calipers. The 4Runner calipers will not fit the thicker Tundra rotors. (Look back at the pictures to see what I mean.)

As far as pads go, Personally, I cannot comment on Napa pads. I went with oem pads b/c they have proven themselves over the years on many Toyota vehicles I've owned.

Oh and Welcome to YT!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-26-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM

pad size

thanks. you guys have posted a lot of amazing stuff, and i am really thankful for that cause i have loads to learn. i was looking on rock auto parts for calipers, and i saw the brake pad size you used was 199 mm, any chance you meant 119 mm? they have calipers for pads at 4.7 inches and 5.3 inches... (difference?) also the calipers they have are from acdelco, raybestos and a1 cardone...any preference or go with the cheapest? guy from rock auto also mentioned they (at least) wont generally accept runner cores when tundra calipers are bought...thoughts?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

jus aomderin what size wheels u have for the clearance of the rotors are they 16's or bigger?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

thanks. you guys have posted a lot of amazing stuff, and i am really thankful for that cause i have loads to learn. i was looking on rock auto parts for calipers, and i saw the brake pad size you used was 199 mm, any chance you meant 119 mm? they have calipers for pads at 4.7 inches and 5.3 inches... (difference?)
199mm is this size I used. This size pad came standard on the '00 - early '03 Tundras. They upped them to 231mm in the latter part of '03.

These links might be of some help to you too (both threads started by the same member):

Updated information: Link 1

And where it all began: Link 2

also the calipers they have are from acdelco, raybestos and a1 cardone...any preference or go with the cheapest? guy from rock auto also mentioned they (at least) wont generally accept runner cores when tundra calipers are bought...thoughts?
As far as pads go, I have not run anything but oem on all my toyotas. Therefore, I can help you there. If those are the 3 you're considering, you will just need to research each and find out which one best suites your needs. IMO, I would not necessarily buy the cheapest pad either.

If they don't accept 4Runner calipers for Tundra calipers, then that's up to you if you choose to buy from them or not. IMO, I'm glad to know they don't accept different cores from what they originally sold. That's how it should be. (Although I am willing to bet, that if you did not ask them up front if they accept runner cores for tundras calipers, they would never know when you brought back the runner cores for a refund, that they were in fact runner cores and not tundra cores.)

More often then not, a lot of counter guys don't care what they get, as long as they get some type of core returned to them. Up to you if you want to get a core refund or not. If you do want the refund, purchase the calipers somewhere else.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-26-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kerby J
jus aomderin what size wheels u have for the clearance of the rotors are they 16's or bigger?
What were those first 2 words ... I'm not as drunk as I say you am...sorry, I digress . The tundra rotors are the same diameter as my 4Runner rotors, they are just thicker. I'm running 16x8 wheels.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 03-26-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Seriously that "RED" is Hott!!! That is one clean looking Runner and awesome upgrade...I'm definately jealous. Good job
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM

thanks for the beta guys, it was just what i needed
Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 AM

I'm thinking of doing this too on my 96 4Runner Limited. I just switched the stock tri spokes out for the 99 5 stars, hope I don't have any clearance issues. The red looks great IMO, I am not sure if I'll PC mine though for cost purposes. I'm guessing this swap works on all of our 4Runners straight up? I haven't read anything to say it won't work, just thicker rotors and calipers to accomodate right?

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
What were those first 2 words ... I'm not as drunk as I say you am...sorry, I digress . The tundra rotors are the same diameter as my 4Runner rotors, they are just thicker. I'm running 16x8 wheels.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with 16" wheels yes should work

Originally Posted by terminator
I'm thinking of doing this too on my 96 4Runner Limited. I just switched the stock tri spokes out for the 99 5 stars, hope I don't have any clearance issues. The red looks great IMO, I am not sure if I'll PC mine though for cost purposes. I'm guessing this swap works on all of our 4Runners straight up? I haven't read anything to say it won't work, just thicker rotors and calipers to accomodate right?
You will need the 16" wheels to clear the 199 or 231 calipers (Tundra).

I believe the 231's require a bit more trimming of a dust shield. There are lots of threads for "Tundra brake upgrade" . If you are not towing or lots of mountain driving you likely could save some money just upgrading/replacing your pads and rotors. Personally, I find the 3rd gen stops on a dime compared to my old 2nd GEN. I have never had warping issues on my 3rd Gen ride.

Like Rock Slide (above) I went with Brembo rotors (just rotors-not drilled or slotted) and 4Runner upgrade pads (from dealership). Yes, the rotors are thicker and they cost more than similar products from Auto Zone or other parts houses. I wanted to try the "Brembo" name as inexpensively as I could-and this worked for me.

Rotors were $105 no shipping no tax (AUto Parts WH always has some deal running) and pads were $54 or so (dealership with Land Cruiser assoc discount) .

Stops like a champ now-never felt bad before-just a solid improvement now. Later I am hoping to bleed out the old brake fluid and install new fluid-that is a piece of cake from what I am reading-I probably could have done the brake job myself-but I found a place willing to install the parts that I provided and inspect it.

I consider my brakes too important to trust myself with.....

Good luck if you go with the upgrade and show us your painted calipers if you go that route.

Quick Reply: Tundra Brake Upgrade - PC'd my Calipers High Gloss Red