Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission Woes... Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This 4runner fell victim to the Strawberry milkshake treatment about 8 months ago. There have been no ill effects up until now. The rust struck me as somewhat odd, but the flaking of the paint is nuts to me. I wouldnt think even water in there would do that...

Either way at this point I need to put thinbg back together and see what happens... Should I sand/scrap all this stuff off and slap it back in? Or re-coat with something??

I am almost dreading getting it back together and having it now work.... BUT it needs to be done.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by danthemanx07
This 4runner fell victim to the Strawberry milkshake treatment about 8 months ago. There have been no ill effects up until now. The rust struck me as somewhat odd, but the flaking of the paint is nuts to me. I wouldnt think even water in there would do that...

Either way at this point I need to put thinbg back together and see what happens... Should I sand/scrap all this stuff off and slap it back in? Or re-coat with something??

I am almost dreading getting it back together and having it now work.... BUT it needs to be done.
Ok, yeah that's an important detail you left out.

I think I'd remove all the old paint and leave it bare metal. I'd be worried any coating you'd apply might not hold up (unless maybe you had it powder coated or something.)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Ok, yeah that's an important detail you left out.

I think I'd remove all the old paint and leave it bare metal. I'd be worried any coating you'd apply might not hold up (unless maybe you had it powder coated or something.)
Sorry. I almost forgot about that nightmare . That was my initial thought was bare metal. I dont imagine anything that would go in the tranny would have corrosive properties, and I was really concerned about that stuff flaking further. I'll see about getting that junk cleaned off this evening.

I bought some cheap DEX III to go in there for now. I plan on draining and refilling the pan 4-5 times over the course of the next month with some synthetic or better quality stuff. was also going to drop a bottle of Seafoam's transmission treatment stuff in there. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Did yours get rusty from your coolant leak?
nope. not that I am aware of. I got it fixed 2 days after I noticed the issue. If it had been
leaking prior to the overheat, then maybe...but I didn't look. I just flushed the hell
out of it, replaced filter, and flushed the hell out of it some more.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 05-05-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by danthemanx07

your transmission is due for a rebuild. it is dying. no other guesswork needed. might need a power flush, but
that thing is maybe not gonna live long. (mine may not live long either...any 'post milkshake tranny' is a timebomb)

it is not water that got in the tranny. it was water and corrosion additives and ethylene glycol. that stuff
not only kills transmissions, but eats paint and coatings. it won't eat rubber seals.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 05-05-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM

The strawberry milkshake is no fun. My friend went through the same ordeal last year with his. I do not think his pan had any flaking of the paint. I'd personally be hesitant to drive with that pan very far for the fear of having the paint flake off and get stuck somewhere it does not belong. There is even rust on the solenoids. Wow....

For my friend, he found a used 340F in a junkyard in Dover, DE for $650 with 74,000 miles and a 180 day warranty. He put in OEM solenoids and a filter. It is doing just fine today a year later thanks to a good cooler and a new OEM radiator. While he had the tranny out, he got his rear engine seal changed for an extra $60 for the peace of mind. Total labor was somewhere around $400, parts (OEM) was $660. Total bill, $1780 excluding tax....
Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Yeah. I understand a rebuild may be in order. Everything is back together now with the new solenoids. I am going to pour in fluid this evening and crank it up and see what happens. I have come this far, so I will just play it by ear. Luckily I have another car to drive when the runner is laid up. I guess I will be checking around on rebuilds/replacements when it becomes necessary.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM

i skipped alot of "stuffs"--but just do a manual tranny swap . The R150's have treated me well over thousands of miles....and you would look cooler also
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
i skipped alot of "stuffs"--but just do a manual tranny swap . The R150's have treated me well over thousands of miles....and you would look cooler also
I have been pondering this. Maybe if I am lucky, I will have the time left in this one to do the necessary research and parts collection. It is defeinitely on my mind...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by hross14
hross, do you have any good links to any manual tranny conversions? I'm thinking about it and I'm wondering about the ECMs compatability (which I'm almost sure they aren't) and anything else that would be a potential problem. I can't seem to find any quality write-ups on this.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Brian--there arent many write ups--but it is doable--you can usually find a 5spd harness and computer for under $300 bones and that is what you will really need to do the conversion--Best option is to get the harness from a 4runner crashed (search for yota junk yards) and the i think pedals and etc will work from the tacoma.

I suggest you compare the wiring diagrams and see what you come up with. but i like the manual alot
Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Do I need to replace the transfer case as well? I am unfamiliar with Toyota cases. I am going to give this serious consideration if only the tranny needs swapping.

Brian, I have been looking for write ups as well. I havent yet found a 4runner specific swap, but there is a good read on a Tacoma Double Cab swap over at TTORA in the FAQ section. He swapped in a 5spd from a 1997 into a 2002. Looked pretty straight forward. He outlines the wiring hiccups as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Well. I really had high hopes for the recovery of the tranny. I figured, at worst, it would function as well as it did before messing with the solenoids.

Well... I was wrong. It will operate in reverse, but will do nothing in any forward gear. When I shift into gear, RPMS drop to about 500 and it goes into a near stall and shudders. Applying gas does nothing, and if I try hard enough with the skinny pedal it will die. Idles fine in Reverse, Neutral, and Park. Otherwise it is a dud.

Did I royally screw up the solenoid install? Or is it that whatever problem there was has just been grossly illuminated by the correct operation of the solenoids? The Lock Up solenoid is the one furthest to the rear right?

Looks like a rebuild or 5 spd swap is happening sooner than I think...

Last edited by danthemanx07; 05-07-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Man, that sucks.
I picked up a 2002 Tacoma Dcab 4x4 about a month ago and I have the same problem, it has 163k miles on it.

I checked the fluid level and it is between the cold and hot levels when hot so I'm praying that's the problem, it doesn't do it all the time though and it does not need to be hot to do it so, we'll see.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 AM

For those wondering about the R150F.....it is a reliable and strong tranny designed to go 200k. I drove mine through some pretty challenging stuff and as long as you are cautious with the skinny pedal it holds up well.

The down side is the clutch and crawling. Because you dont want to slip the clutch a lot and be off and on the gas--you might want to consider a doubler....it does wonders for crawling.

and there are alot of them around--it is even considered a better tranny than toyotas new 6Spd which has had some issues...
Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Any updates on the transmission issue? Did you figure out the idle problem, or are you doing a swap?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

I need to get a whole new transmission pan for my 96 toyota tacoma.... the rod that's hooked onto the pan cracked and snapped off when taking it off .... it was just hanging there. i took pics......

went to the dealership.. they say the tran pan i need is "obsolete" ...hard to come by..... if anyone has what we need.... please let me know.. tell me the price.... or if any questions or advice please write back...

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/...4641ag_20.jpeg

Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it the same as a 2001 A340F pan? I have one of those with a small dent in it.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 AM

A340F Tranny....

sounds right.... my friend scott told me yesterday... A340F tranny is what he thought we needed...

how big is the dent...do you have any pictures? how much would ya sell it for?

Quick Reply: Transmission Woes... Replacement?