Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire suggestions & setup for deep sand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
Carry 2 strips of carpet with you - about 4 foot long - tires width. I saw this on a Bill Burke DVD - he was stuck in sand - unrolled the carpet and put it under his tires and drove right out!

John
I have done that with friends in his tacoma... it wasn't as easy as it looked, but it did work eventually. I'm a big fan of the make the passengers get out and dig approach myself.

By the way, get the V6 for sure. Another big thing you need for sand is power. Without it you slow down too much in the real loose stuff and thats when problems start.

As far as suspensions go, I would think an Old Man Emu setup (with tokico trekmasters) to be about perfect. Soft enough to not rattle your brain, firm enough to not bottom out, pretty decent travel, 2-3" of lift and a very nice on road ride to boot. I run this setup.

Last edited by kmcaprice14; 07-01-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about a nice set of paddles?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Now thats a nice rig.

Evan
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by greyghost4x4
Now thats a nice rig.

Evan
Yea..its running 33" tires too...pretty cool formula racer
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks again. Jake, how's the hi lift work in getting unstuck? For some reason I was thinking people used them to winch or to change a tire when out wheeling. Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new to this stuff. As a kids when we got our p/u's stuck, we'd go get a friend's father's backhoe to get us out. . . I've never used recovery gear.

BTW, the Silver 2000 Limited is GO! Just struck a deal with the owner. Here's the specs: 127k miles, full documenation, silver. Body is straight and accident free, has expected dings. Interior a bit rough, but hey, it's a beach truck. It's got an e-locker. Shocks/struts/Tbelt/Waterpump and a bunch of other stuff were done in November of 06.

The 4WD system is engaged by a pushbutton on the L-H lever. Does that indicate a center diff lock, or is this the standard 4WD system?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
can't really recommend a lift for your IFS but some Sway Away (SAW) Racerunner front coils mind work out for you. Depending on how much you want to spend, these guys build some sweet stuff: http://chaosfab.com/

With your comment about not having to see the Chiropractor after a run on the beach I would recommend a set of Hydraulic Bump stops. They act as kind of an extra shock make the impact a bit more comfortable.
This link came to mind: http://www.lightracing.com/v1b/light...ounceIntro.cfm they are a bit expensive, there are more choices out there but it came up first when I googled it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...-trucks-91133/
t

edit:
the high lift can lift the truck up to allow you to put your sand matts or plywood under the tires. I would suggest putting on a set of quality sliders on the side to use as high lift jacking points. With the winch you are thinking about the bumper you choose should be a strong enough lift point for the front.

Last edited by dropzone; 07-01-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM

You can use your HiLift as a come-a-long with one of these>>

http://www.pullpal.com/aboutPP.html
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, that pull pal is cool. I'll be getting one if I end up with a winch. . . otherwise there's nothing to winch to on the beach.

Will 275/70's fit w/o a lift? Was thinking they are slightly wider and taller for a bit more floatation over the stock 265/70. I talked with the guys at Sonoran. I like the approach they take with full kits. Problem is, I can't get too high or my wife will complain so I may be stuck with factory height, at least for now.

Great point on the sliders. The factory running boards look dorky anyway.

Last edited by frayed; 07-01-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by frayed
Yeah, that pull pal is cool. I'll be getting one if I end up with a winch. . . otherwise there's nothing to winch to on the beach.

Will 275/70's fit w/o a lift? Was thinking they are slightly wider and taller for a bit more floatation over the stock 265/70.

Great point on the sliders. The factory running boards look dorky anyway.
They will fit
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM

yea the button shifts it from awd to 4wd aka engages the center diff lock for 50/50 torque distribution.
since your truck is gonna be seeing so much sand and water i would definitely invest in some custom fitted floor mats and seat covers
Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Hey fellas, just wanted to say thanks. I did purchase the 00 silver limited with elocker. Mods/maintenance so far:

airfilter
oil
brakes
BFG AT 31's (275/70)
full detail
weathertech mats
Sonoran's 'best of factory' suspension (new 99 suspension)
Fluid Film undercoating for sand/salt

Next up: roof basket and recovery gear. Will bring rig down to Corpus after the imminent hurricane Ike. Pictures after basket and gear installed.

Gotta love Toyota quality. Friggen rig drives like it has 20k on the clock.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM

to be honest if the sand is really that soft and deep a tire bigger than 10.5's would help out a lot to float over the sand. air down. carry carpets like the man said above, also pieces of plywood help, basically anything with traction. i used a cutting board we used to cut bait for fishing to get a rig unstuck when 6 guys couldn't budge it out. basic 4wheelin techniques will help like working the wheels back and forth for traction, keep momentum, feather throttle (don't dig). also don't brake hard on soft sand you'll berm up the sand in front of your tires making it that harder to get out from a dead stop. Hope the sand isn't as bad as i think you make it out to be. have fun, don't be scared to get stuck all the more fun to get out!!!! everythings a learning experience.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 AM

etan,

I was talking with some locals who drive 4runners and tacos on this stretch of beach. They found the lighter toyos to be pretty much capable in stock form, and excessive mods aren't needed. OTOH, Ford F150 4x4s in stock form pretty much find themselves in trouble on a regular basis.

I plan to run down the beach a few times with friends before taking the family down for a day camp of swimming and fishing. I'm going to try to get it stuck to see how it reacts with this setup.

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 AM

Man I used to run the sand dunes south of San Felipe...

down there there are two Sand Dunes that supposedly trucks can't scale... it's all buggys and quads. I impressed the hell out of my buddies when I climbed it in a wrangler. Later, when I switched to a Tacoma, I thought that fun was over... but low and behold, the Coma pulled it as well. The key... running your tires really low (I would run at 12 - 15 psi for deep sand, down to 8 psi if I was climbing dunes, but I had a pump with me. Never hit the road or hard dirt at 8 psi). My set up was basically stock, just a 2 inch Sway-away-Coilover lift in the front which allowed me to run 32" BFG Allterrains which I think was the key of the Tacoma pulling. If you are going to climb dunes try 3rd gear in 4low. That allows you to get the speed while still having the 4low pull. If you are doing intertidal you should get a winch, snorkel and possible mudterrains. Make sure to wash your truck thoroughly after that... salt will eat it whole.

Oh the truck I was running on the dunes was a '99 4x4 3.4L stickshift TRD. I am pretty sure I didn't have the lockers engaged though... I'll try to dig up some photos.

Cheers,

Mr. Sonora
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by frayed
Hey fellas, just wanted to say thanks. I did purchase the 00 silver limited with elocker. Mods/maintenance so far:

airfilter
oil
brakes
BFG AT 31's (275/70)
full detail
weathertech mats
Sonoran's 'best of factory' suspension (new 99 suspension)
Fluid Film undercoating for sand/salt

Next up: roof basket and recovery gear. Will bring rig down to Corpus after the imminent hurricane Ike. Pictures after basket and gear installed.

Gotta love Toyota quality. Friggen rig drives like it has 20k on the clock.
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like a good set-up...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Jeff,
Sounds like the purchase worked out. I make weekend runs down to Chincoteague/Assateague on Virginia's Eastern Shore with my '01 4Runner. We've had the truck on the sand at least 6 times this summer - without issues. I have '99 coils, Bilstein HDs, 1" rear alu spacers, and 275/70/16 REVOs. I've found 15 psi to work great in the soft stuff (Stauns & CO2 tank).

As for the 964 turbo - are you on Rennlist (I'm AOW162435)? If not, take a look. Probably the best Porsche destination online. My '95 993 says 'hello'.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 09-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 AM

whitey, that looks like me last wknd! actually every wknd.... surfed westport and camped out on the beach in grayland, kiwanda in or the wknd before that.

i run 40psi, never even air down, hardly even throw it in 4lo, don't need the rear locker.

i still have to go spray the sand and salt water off!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Hey there aow. Yep I'm on RL. Been there for a while, same screen name. Been through a buncha cars so my posts are not so much on the 965 forum mostly the gt3 pages. Anyway, thanks for the post.

Your setup is similar. Though I'm going aggro with recovery gear. 50 miles down the beach, if you get stuck = minimum of $2000 to get you out. There was an article in paper about how the tow truck companies are gouging stranded people down the seashore. I want no part of that!!

Last edited by frayed; 09-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.