Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Decision Time

Hello Fellow Yota members,

After 4 years and 55k miles, its time for me to get a new set of tires. The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S has done an ok job, but I think its time for a change. I now seek some advice from those who are like me and drive 98% of the time on the street/highway.

Here are my choices for replacements:

Michelin:
Cross Terrain SUV
LTX M/S

Bridgestone:
Duelar AT
Duelar HT

Price is a consideration, I'd like to keep it around 150 max if possible. I'm leaning toward either the LTX M/S or the Duelar AT; I've read good reports from members about the Duelars, but limited to no information on the LTX M/S. Any owners of either care to share mileage/wear/performance experiences? Your help is greatly appreciated....

Craig
Old 03-27-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Craig,

Kick ass icon/avatar.

Those Michelin Cross Terrains are very pricey. However, the reviews are great on those tires.

I would also recommend Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. Some of the guys here have them and love them both on and off road. When I buy a new set of shoes for my 4runner, those will be it. Also, if you don't carry alot of passengers or loads, you can get the lower rated ones for about $20 cheaper (last I checked).

Try tirerack.com to get a baseline internet price and then go from there.

Bob
Old 03-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Ditto on the Revos
Old 03-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

I am going to replace my tires soon as well and have gotten great recomendations from the other members. Both the ltx and the dueler at's are supposed to be pretty good for mostly road driving. Check out the dueler revos too. They are supposed to be one of the best tires out there from what I heard. I'm hoping to pick me up a set of revos for myself if I can afford them. There are also a few threads on the forum about tires and also check out tirerack.com for tons of reviews on tires. Good luck on your decision. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:14 PM

I've recently purchased a set of the Dueler A/T (not Revo's) and they are outstanding! Very smooth on the pavement, and they stick well in the rain. Have not taken them off-road yet.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:16 PM

Cool

I have been very happy with my BFG all terrains. They are quiet on the road and pretty aggressive offroad. Depends if you want to play in the mud alot, then ther mud terrains are great, but noisier.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kookadala
I have been very happy with my BFG all terrains. They are quiet on the road and pretty aggressive offroad.
Ditto - on my second set of BFG AT's (32's). I'm averaging about 40-45K miles per set...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:24 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think i'm going to go with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo, although my wife keeps reminding me that Bridgestone is the same as Firestone.....and she's worried about that tread seperation issue (even though I've assured her that it probably won't happen b/c we are not buying alower end tire)

I would love to get the BFGs, but the place i go to doesn't have them in stock. Thanks again!

Craig
Old 03-28-2003, 07:46 AM

From what I've read, the LTX is more comparable to the HT. Both are meant primarily for pavement use. The AT is more of a dual purpose tire. I have the ATs and love them - IMO, it's a far better on-road tire than the BFG AT, and lets face it... most of us spend far more time on pavement than we do on dirt.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Another Duller A/T Revo fan...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 4RunnerBuddha
Hello Fellow Yota members,

After 4 years and 55k miles, its time for me to get a new set of tires. The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S has done an ok job, but I think its time for a change. I now seek some advice from those who are like me and drive 98% of the time on the street/highway.

Here are my choices for replacements:

Bridgestone:

Duelar HT

Craig
You don't want the "HT", you want the "HL".

I had the stock RT/S and just replaced them with these:

The RT/S was a nice looking pretty quiet tire, but was horrible in the rain. THey would break loose all the time and hydroplain bigtime. I didn't know how bad there were until I replaced them with the above Bridgetone "HL" tire. They are one of the only few SUV tires that offer a 60k treadwear warranty right now, and are rated the best for rain traction, etc. They also has the "Uni T" in them. It lets different rubber compounds expose as the tire wears down and won't loose grip as it gets older. Tire-rack has them for $106 each right now - They normally sell for $140 a piece in the stores!

I go into much more detail on these tires here with more PICS:

Best all season tire, pics and write-up

These tires will last twice as long as the stock tires, won't slip in the rain, and will cost you about the same $.

Last edited by Jason B; 03-28-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Just a quick note about the HL and AT versions. The AT versions I have are just as quiet as the stock bridgestone highway tires I had beforehand. Even if you do a little bit of off-roading, get the AT's- you'll appreciate having the more aggressive tread, they make your vehicle look mean, and are quiet. They have great wet traction, which I've had the chance to check out here in Seattle.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:24 AM

I have heard pretty good things about the brigestones and the BFG's

Another option that you might want to take a look at are the GoodYear MT/R I heard these tires are great on and off road.

Just an idea

Eric
Old 03-28-2003, 12:05 PM

Go with the Revo's Tirerack.com has about the best price I could find. We had some heavy rains here and it was like driving on dry pavement with those tires, I could not say that about the RT/S
Old 03-31-2003, 07:14 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up getting the Bridgestone Duelar ATs on saturday, at only 100 bucks per tire, I felt I was getting a good deal. My only concern is that the place I went to didn't do the alignment properly. Any highway speeds over 70, i get a vibration in the steering wheel. Any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks,

Craig
Old 03-31-2003, 07:38 AM

Where did you end up buying them from? I would probably go to a dealership or reputable local shop for the Alignment...

Also what size did you buy?
Old 03-31-2003, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 4RunnerBuddha
Hi Guys,

Any highway speeds over 70, i get a vibration in the steering wheel. Any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks,

Craig
Get your truck balanced with the HAWEKA adapter.

Did you know that there is a special bulletin that requires EVERY Toyota dealer to USE the Haweka adapter? The problem is most dealers don't use them, lose them, or don't want to spend the extra five minutes it takes to use it.
I would call a few Toyota dealers, and I bet you will find one that has the adapter.

It will be very hard to get a perfect balance WITHOUT the haweka adapter even when using the GSP9700 on the 4Runner.

All you need to do is find a shop that has the Haweka adapter.

Look at this. This is the SECOND time this has been issused:

Old 03-31-2003, 08:28 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I had the Michelin LTX M/S on my old 4Runner and they were excellent in all driving conditions. I now have the REVO's on my 2000 4Runner and they, too, have been excellent. I have about 9,000 miles on them at this point. They've been very good in the snow and they stick like glue in the rain. I'll give the LTX a bit more credit in the snow and the REVO more credit in the rain. Both are excellent tires. Had the price been the same, I'd have gone with the LTX, but I have absolutely NO complaints with the REVO's. They're also relatively quiet. I'll know more about treadwear in another 10k miles.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:22 AM

Ditto what Jason said. Also, have the tires balanced and get the ground/road force numbers. They should all be under 20 - preferably under 15.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:50 PM

I've been running Mich LTX/MS on my Tacoma and have 78K miles on them!!! I'll get aleast another 30 out of them. They are quiet, ride smooth and last forever!!! The guy at the tire shop has seen some go 100K, I didn't believe him at the time, but I do now!!!

Quick Reply: Tire Decision Time