Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stiff Ride after OME Springs and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian,

I have the shocks you sold me on there now. ARB sent me a new set to replace the 60027's. I'm holding those, no need to put them on if your's are the same.

Like I said, still a little stiff but better than the others.

Jerry
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Just takes time for them to break in and valve smoother after use like all shocks. But this is different opinions as usual. I love my 891's with ranchos...others hate it.

I think if you're wanting smooth ride and lift you'll need to stay progressive and smooth valved shocks, tokicos, unless you're offroading enough to make the arb apps worth it to be so stiff. I went stiff rear for loading down, and going progressive/soft up front where im at all the time.

Hopeeverything dampens out for You though i don't blame You for not wanting to keep switch apps out gets annoying and expensive after awhile. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87 'runner boosted
Im likely going to be looking at Getting some softer springs. My runner was a turbo set up and the guy I bought it off of said it had "turbo hd axles", nowhere on this site or others have o heard of that, but it must be cuz my ride in the rear (no lift or mods at all) is like have no simuspension at all...
what a moron, the turbo comes with the v6 rear diff instead of the 4cyl.... and v6 front brakes i believe... that's all it is.
Nothing to do with suspension. You're probably just riding on the overload leafs.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Jaaydee,

have you done any testing on the rear suspension? I would verify the coils are seated correctly, then play around with a floor jack. Something could be binding in the rear and causing a harsh ride. Also make sure you have a few inches of down-travel remaining from ride height. If you are sitting too close to maximum droop, it will ride like crap over bumps.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

I gave it the bounce test before I put the shocks on , it seemed to have enough travel and bounced easily.

I'm probably expecting too much from this setup. I would like a softer ride, but for this type of vehicle, I don't think it will happen. After all, it is a pickuup based suspension.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM

I have some 906's for sale ($75.00 + shipping)
these springs are made for heavy loads. Stock bumpers, no trailer hitch etc...
You get a stiff ride
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 PM

As soon as it started getting cold out, my OME setup started riding like crap. Maybe a combination of the cold weather and the valving in the shock? Was this said already?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Dont know what or when my stuff was changed its OLD brand suspention. When driving I can feel every crack and little bump but if i slam a pothole I can barley feel it at all. If you want comfort you may want to look into some aftermarket air shocks, at least they would be adjustable.
Just a thought.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dgz32
So did you guys get any improvement in on-road ride with switching out the rear shocks or springs?

I've got the OME 881/890 coils with the Sport Shocks and have about 6k miles on them - mostly highway driving over the Summer for some expedition travel out west. The set-up does fantastic off-road, but on-road it exactly as has been described. I find myself having to constantly apologize for anyone riding in the back because it's so damn bone jarring back there. Front isn't as bad. I also have load range D tires, but run with 30psi. I will say that the truck handles great on smooth roads and the ride is nice and firm with almost zero body roll.

I really need to do something for a more OE ride and would like to keep the current lift height.
Is your 4runner rwd or 4wd? Could the additional weight of the 4x4 affect this???
Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dgz32
So did you guys get any improvement in on-road ride with switching out the rear shocks or springs?

I've got the OME 881/890 coils with the Sport Shocks and have about 6k miles on them - mostly highway driving over the Summer for some expedition travel out west. The set-up does fantastic off-road, but on-road it exactly as has been described. I find myself having to constantly apologize for anyone riding in the back because it's so damn bone jarring back there. Front isn't as bad. I also have load range D tires, but run with 30psi. I will say that the truck handles great on smooth roads and the ride is nice and firm with almost zero body roll.

I really need to do something for a more OE ride and would like to keep the current lift height.
Originally Posted by Gerdo
I have heard that the 60027 are too stiff and make for a harsh ride. The 60028 are suppose to ride much better.

It's the shocks, not the springs!
BINGO!

Just following up here with what I've done. I spoke with Doug at ToyTec where I purchased my OME kit. As I understand, the initial Sport shock offered with the OME kit (60027) had since been changed to a constant heavy load-type shock. He referred me to TR at ARB and they did an exchange for the 60028s. The ride is DRAMATICALLY improved! Still has the sport feel that I love, but instead of the bone jarring hits at any speed (and my passengers bouncing up and down), the bumps are soaked up now. It really is an amazing difference.

That said, the folks at ToyTec and ARB have a customer for life. Amazing customer service from both.

|dg
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM

I just installed the 906 with the Nito 60028 shocks in back (for pictures: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...shocks-231941/). The ride feels a bit stiffer than the sagged tall 99 springs I had, but nothing bad. I can handle it, plus I know it will soften up with time - just have 50 miles on them. In the past I owned a 94 Runner and the same happen when I replaced the springs with Downey's. I am glad I picked the 60028. I also tow a boat so I am hoping the ride would be much improved. I have my old sagged tall 99 springs if someone wants them.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 AM

ok, so i finally got underneath my rig and started looking. found out that the previous owner decided to install longer leaf springs (which was very nice of him) but he neglected to move the rear shackle mounts back on the frame to compensate for the longer springs (idiot). will be moving those back, hopefully get my suspension back asap...freakin killer to ride in that thing right now...and articulation...ha...doesnt even exist in the back end.