Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starter Just clicks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Maj. Thats EXACTLY what I'm saying.

And the water in the starter issue. I think you are completly misunderstanding me here. I can agree that water splashing the OUTSIDE of the starter can corrode the OUTSIDE of the starter contact terminal. Cleaning the OUTSIDE terminal post would resolve this issue.

But heres what I'm saying. If you've cleaned the battery cables, verified your relay and related wiring is good, and your starter still clicks. THE CONTACS ON THE INSIDE ARE WORN OUT. Cleaning wont help. The starter is SEALED. Meaning no matter how much water you splash on it or even if its dunked under water, NO WATER should get INSIDE the starter. That is, unless its been taken apart and not properly sealed.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
click? clicks? or thunk?

Now are we talking about a click(one single click)? Or clicks(multiple clicks)? I've had cars that have gone clickclickclickclick, or ticktickticktick, continuously as you turned the ignition(hondas). My problem with my 87 4runner 4cyl 22re non turbo was intermitten no starts here and there I left it sitting for a month, and it didnt start period, I didn't get a click, it sounded like a very very small "thunk", just one thunk every time I turned the key and held it, almost as if the batterty was weak. You could barely hear it, next to nothing. I pulled the starter out, opened it up, and the contacts were pretty much new, just two tiny contacts wear spots on a tip of each contact, the plunger looked worn though, but I don't think that was the case. I was puzzled, so I continued looking it over, I finally noticed that one of the contacts, there being two contacts (one on each side), was not aligned, I straightened it up, then put the starter together, took it to autozone, they tested, it worked, was not going to put it in the truck just to find it bad and then having to take it back apart again, what !@#$%, so that's why I let autozone take a look. I was happy that it passed the test, I asked for a price anyway, and it was 59.99 with core, not bad at all, I was thinking at least 100 bucks, im in sacramento california by the way. But I kept my fingers crossed took my starter back home put it in and it worked. That was my scenario, a very light thunk, and a misalined contact, aligned it by turning it with a wrech. I also believe the one I have is a rebuilt starter, no signs of any toyota stamps or stickers, hope that clarifies "clicks" if anyone wonders.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Just remember that after changing the contacts and plunger to put a thin coat of grease on the terminals (outside) to prevent corrosion. A squirt of grease can save a lot of hassle when on the trail far from the safety of one's garage.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 PM

I just did this repair with my own labor and saved . . . probably $500. Dealer has the contacts BUT make sure you get the right ones (2) for your starter -- an ID code should be visible from beneath the engine if you wipe off undercoating. Sales guy should be able to look it up by that code. If you want to just replace the copper L-shaped contacts (again, 2) in a Denso starter, these are known quantities and typically available at a city's starter repair shop . . . seems like every city has just one of those grizzled guys running a cool shop. Cost me total: $42.

This site -- yodatech -- is GREAT. Someone walked me through a process . . . another forwarded a manual. Great guys all!

Doug
Richmond VA
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a starter related question... about 4 years ago i had a new non-toyota started put in (they would not take it out and have me replace the contacts, plus it was -30 F outside so i just let them do it instead of me). well, this week i'm getting the tell tale clicks from the starter, and now much wiser and 80-ish degrees out i'm going to do it myself.

my question, can you replace the starter contacts on an aftermarket starter, or moreso should i even bother? i'd love to save some money and just do the contacts. any ideas? i bought an OEM starter off of ebay last year thinking i would just rebuild it and put that in when this after market starter went out, but the plastic plugs were broken during shipping. one last question... does anyone know if there is a kit or business that repairs starters where the plastic plugs are broken? thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pattycakes77
i have a starter related question... about 4 years ago i had a new non-toyota started put in (they would not take it out and have me replace the contacts, plus it was -30 F outside so i just let them do it instead of me). well, this week i'm getting the tell tale clicks from the starter, and now much wiser and 80-ish degrees out i'm going to do it myself.
Easy test to see if the problem is in the contacts or not:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest

my question, can you replace the starter contacts on an aftermarket starter, or moreso should i even bother? i'd love to save some money and just do the contacts. any ideas?
Generally yes, open it up and see what the contacts look like:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WhichContacts

i bought an OEM starter off of ebay last year thinking i would just rebuild it and put that in when this after market starter went out, but the plastic plugs were broken during shipping. one last question... does anyone know if there is a kit or business that repairs starters where the plastic plugs are broken? thanks.
See if you can find a local auto electrical repair shop (they repair starters and alternators) and see if they can repair yours.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
See if you can find a local auto electrical repair shop (they repair starters and alternators) and see if they can repair yours.
Thanks. i'll do some testing to determine the problem. should it be the starter, i think i'll go ahead and find a shop to repair the OEM one, it's always bothered me that my starter was the only NON-OEM part on the vehicle. i do know there is a local shop that's rebuilt a couple alternators for me, i'll see if they can replace those connectors and be back in business.

thanks again.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, this thread's been resurrected twice now! Keepin' it alive! The part from 2 years ago is actually pretty entertaining!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM

i just put a new starter on mine still clicks.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Simple test to find out why:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest