Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

speeding tickets....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had my fill of speeding tickets.. and ive tried everything.. your only hope is that the officer that gave you the ticket doesnt show up.. if your willing to chance that... than go to traffic court.. otherwise.. just pay the ticket and get it over with.. theres always traffic school.. and who deosnt like watching red asphalt.

rock on,
Matt

Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!
Old 07-24-2004, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I agree with Jim - if you were speeding, pay the ticket. It's called being accountable. I realize this is a lost notion in society today, but try to be an adult about it. Pay the ticket if you were speeding. If you weren't speeding, why did you get the ticket?
I got popped in a speed trap in Tuxedo N.Y.went to court, talked to the cop who wrote me, he offered up an ammended to broken speedo with the same $. So all you guys who say don't do the crime if you can't do the time I say bull, ITS ABOUT THE MONEY NOT SAFTEY!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

My wife got a speeding ticket a week after I put my 33's on. She told the officer there was no way she was going 80 mph but admitted to going 69 mph in a 65 mph . The officer replied that she was radared at 80 and even if her speed was at 69 mph the posted limit was 65 mph. I payed her fine but didn't tell her about the tires for at least a month. that's when she needed to use my runner again.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE= So all you guys who say don't do the crime if you can't do the time I say bull, ITS ABOUT THE MONEY NOT SAFTEY! [/QUOTE]

Out of all of the useful discussion on this thread, that statement just dumbed it down.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

i just scimmed through here but just goto court, the cop will most likely be there....if for some reason hes not you will get off, if he is there plead guilty with an explanation. Then just tell the judge the truth like you just felt like speeding, werent paying attention, your fav song was on or whatever you were doing then ask the judge for leenancy. He cant change the law but he can change the offence, ex. if you were doing 20 over he could say ok i'm reducing that to 10 over which is less points and a cheaper fine. If this is your first offence then you probably get PBJ (probation before judgement). This means you wont get any points or fine (sometimes a small fine w/ court cost) but if you get another ticket in the time before the probation expires then you'll get the points for that ticket plus the new one. So goto court its easy, its interesting, you'll learn alot about the judicial system and you'll save alot of money guarentee'd. Good luck!!
Old 07-24-2004, 01:17 PM

Most of this thread is so far off-topic that I stopped reading it a third of the way down, so if I repeat something that's been established here, please look past it.

First of all, depending on the setting of the court, the judge may not be able to "reduce the charge". For instance, if you contest a speeding ticket in San Antonio, TX (as I did recently), it is literally a trial. In other words, if you plead not guilty and then admit to going 42 in a 40, you are guilty of going whatever the officer accused you of, even if it's something awful like 70 in a 40. This is because in Texas, the prosecution only has to prove beyond a reason of doubt that you were speeding. So, in other words, if you plead not guilty, and the prosecution cross-examines you and forces you to say how fast you were going, say you "don't know" or "were following the flow of traffic" or you were going EXACTLY the speed limit. If not, it's over...you're guilty of the entire charge.

A few points to remember:

1.) If the officer begins to read from his citation, object this. Our constitution demands that accusers must present themselves to the accused (6th amendment). The officer is your accuser, not his citation. The judge will probably allow him to use it as "notes" after your objection, but your objection has been nonetheless made and probably sustained.

2.) Was the officer using radar? If so, was his car parallel with yours? If not, radar is 0% accurate at a right angle (if you were going one direction and he was stopped facing another).

3.) If the officer was not using radar and says that he "paced" you (meaning that he followed you and synced his speedometer with your speed, then object saying that if the officer is using this as evidence against you, the prosecution must enter in some physical evidence such as speedometer calibration records, etc., to serve as the foundation of this evidence.

Be careful of how these trials are run. In other words, if this is a true "trial", then I would at the very least consult with an attorney. Remember if it's a true trial, Code of Criminal Procedure and the Rules of Evidence are followed strictly, and they could screw you in the procedure if you're not careful.

If you were speeding, just pay it and get it over with.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Obviously if there is a truly a question of your speed you should challenge it but it a cop nails you for over 20mph your case can get shakey.
I was clocked at 127 in a 65 at 2 in the morning on a open highway and only got tagged with a 19mph over and didn't have to make a court appearance and just paid a $127 fine and 3 points:attitude and being straight up with the cop saved me a lot of money.
From '93 to the end of 2000 I was pulled over a total of 24 times and received 13 speeding tickets,all the others I got away with warnings.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:24 PM

When I went to court for speeding the cop first had a confrance with me before it was my turn to go (all the cops did this with everyone) and he offered a me a non moving charge. If you licience is clean,or atleast there are no recent moving charges it is a pretty normal practice, or at least in NY it is.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

In college, I got a racing on the highway ticket. I was racing and I was going 155 in a 55. I went to court and pleaded for mercy b/c in the meantime I had graduated and was employed. The off duty a hole (I mean officer) that had reported me when racing yelled at me some and then said ok. So the ticket was reduced to aggrevated speeding which allowed me to keep my license. So, I left court with a $1050 fine and 75 hours community service-I only 12 and they waived the rest.

They gave me so much community service b/c the guys I was with at the time had all been busted for similar things, many of them in the same car I was driving. Moral of the story, it was probably a good thing, b/c I stopped street racing after that. But, the cops didn't have to treat me like a drug dealer or something when they pulled me over. Cops are such ego maniac
a--holes.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
In college, I got a racing on the highway ticket. I was racing and I was going 155 in a 55.

I'm sorry but you have no right calling a cop anything but "sir."
155 in a 55???
Old 07-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by dragr1
In college, I got a racing on the highway ticket. I was racing and I was going 155 in a 55. I went to court and pleaded for mercy b/c in the meantime I had graduated and was employed. The off duty a hole (I mean officer) that had reported me when racing yelled at me some and then said ok. So the ticket was reduced to aggrevated speeding which allowed me to keep my license. So, I left court with a $1050 fine and 75 hours community service-I only 12 and they waived the rest.

They gave me so much community service b/c the guys I was with at the time had all been busted for similar things, many of them in the same car I was driving. Moral of the story, it was probably a good thing, b/c I stopped street racing after that. But, the cops didn't have to treat me like a drug dealer or something when they pulled me over. Cops are such ego maniac
a--holes.
Are you kidding me?! I would have found a reason to have arrested you on the spot. He has every right to be an ass to you--he should have slapped cuffs on your wrists and impounded your car at the very least.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I'm sorry but you have no right calling a cop anything but "sir."
155 in a 55???
Not when he comes up to the car acting like he did. Anyway, that was 8 years ago, I have done nothing of that sort since then and will never do anything like that again.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rpeAMP
Are you kidding me?! I would have found a reason to have arrested you on the spot. He has every right to be an ass to you--he should have slapped cuffs on your wrists and impounded your car at the very least.

:pat:

Stories over, I was a dumb college kid at the time.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:12 AM

Old 07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rpeAMP
Oh yeah, he never actually clocked me, b/c he did not see it. An off duty deputy sheriff called it in and he only saw part of it. It was dumb, but I believe they over-reacted, I never ran from the cops, I never denied my actions. This is a college town and I'm sure the cops face a lot of stupid kids everyday, so their ego is over inflated.

I have respect for most cops now, b/c I'm on the road a lot and I see the crap that happens out there everyday. So, I was not posting to start a war here, just to point out to other people, that if you get caught, just pay up and don't try to deny it if you did it.