Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SMT-6 Install HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the UNICHIP in my 97. The program was written for a 95 Taco with stock MAF so I had to reinstall it.

The ass dyno says I have more power and mid range torque. It feels fantastic. I am going to set up some dyno time on a loading dyno to retune to my vehicle and the Supra MAF. It should really be rocking then.

I had that puppy installed and road testing in less 35 minutes. I will try to set the road speed governor clamp tomorrow if it stops raining.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-22-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
I just installed the UNICHIP in my 97. The program was written for a 95 Taco with stock MAF so I had to reinstall it.

The ass dyno says I have more power and mid range torque. It feels fantastic. I am going to set up some dyno time on a loading dyno to retune to my vehicle and the Supra MAF. It should really be rocking then.

I had that puppy installed and road testing in less 35 minutes. I will try to set the road speed governor clamp tomorrow if it stops raining.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

nice! if possible, can you record or report the timing modifications you find work best, especially with the supra MAF (and, i'm assuming, larger injectors and pump)? that would be some great info to have.

also, did you figure out a way to rework the map, or do you still have to do the tuning in conjunction with a UNICHIP dealer?

by the way, i found a nice 2000 4X4 sport edition that i'm keeping my eye on. just have to hear back from the insurance company on a payout . . . . if i end up getting a newer runner, i may end up buying this wideband A/F meter to tune: http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/builtwb.htm

creed
Old 02-22-2003, 04:26 PM

When I get the program tweaked for the Supra MAF I will certainly make it available.

The UNICHIP is supposed to be only dealer tuned, but it seems that I have a full dealer kit and can order everything at dealer cost. I have all the tuning software and interface cables, so I guess that makes me a dealer, but I have no intentions of reselling anything.

I think there might be a kink with compatability on the later trucks. The later trucks need to adjust the cam and crank signals together where my year does not. They are comming out with a newer UNICHIP to be able to do that. It also applies to most of the newer vehicles like BMWs and so. It should be available by the time you are ready for it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-22-2003, 04:59 PM

ah, that's interesting . . . the TMC and FTC don't have any issues with altering the timing on the newer trucks, right? so is it an issue with advancing the timing or just altering it in general?

is this maybe why Chris is having trouble with the SMT unit on his truck (which i think is a newer model) when he splices into the crank signal?

creed
Old 02-22-2003, 05:05 PM

The TMC does have problems with the newer trucks if the retard is set to high. That is why the TMC does both the crank and cam signal. When Eric was still working with Mark at SS he had me taking all kinds of readings from the different sensors and because of the readings I took it was learned that only the positive side of the cam and crank signals needed to be modified where on some vehicles the neg side has to be modified also. This reduced the cost to produce the unit and lowered the connections needed.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-22-2003, 06:29 PM

chris - glad to hear you got the truck up and running. the shifting is worrisome to me, though. the shift points are electronically controlled by the ECU, and i wonder if the RPM signal is being distorted by the SMT at the higher RPM's? have you checked to make sure the truck's tach corresponds to the SMT readings at the higher RPMs?
I'm not sure why it would effect the shifting, but it has. Ever since this last time, which makes at least 3 times now, that I've cut the NE+ wire, I've noticed some drastic jumps in the rpms. It's not smooth anymore. I'm wondering how to clean up the signal, because right now it's fluctuating more than it did the firs time. Is there a way to reduce this fluctuating? It's probably line noise, right?

Chris
Old 02-22-2003, 06:31 PM

I'd sure like to see what kind of MAF sensor analog map you are running Gadget. Please let us know when available. Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Del

Hey all, just wondering what the SMT-6 mod is and what gen is it for? Thx.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:38 PM

Go to www.perfectpower.com and it will work for pretty much any year vehicle. Check it out you'll see what it does or read the thread titled: New Performance Mod/Part!

Chris
Old 02-23-2003, 01:34 PM

Why would I have my engine temp, engine temp voltage, RPM, and AEng temp be fluctuating so much? You may not know what I'm talking about, but every since I cut my NE+ Crankshaft sensor wire and then figured out that it wouldn't run with it cut and run through the SMT-6, I reconnected it, and just tee'd into it, so I could read the RPM's. But now, it fluctuates a lot. Any ideas how to fix this? Is this line noise or something? How can I fix this? I've tried all I know, but I'd like to hear your comments.

Chris
Old 02-25-2003, 07:46 PM

Here's an update for everyone still interested in my setup. I now have almost everything working properly. I foudn out that the missing tooth mode is what works best on my truck. Also, I just found out why I'm still getting erratic engine temp voltage and engine temp readings. I have not grounded all the unused wires, which will reduce this problem. So, once I do that, I'm going to check everything out once again and go from there.

Right now I have still not been able to cut the NE+ crankshaft sensor wire and successfully made the truck run, but once I ground everything else, I'm hoping this might make a difference. I did get my RPM's to stabalize when I switched from Mode 10 to Missing tooth mode.

So, I'm going to ground all the unused wires, and see what happens on the engine temp voltage and engine temp. If it stabilizes, then I'm going to reattempt to cut the NE+ crankshaft sensor wire, so I can adjust the timing. I'll keep everyone posted.

Also, I decided to set the entire analog map at 10% in each box, but I notice a pretty substantial gain if I up it to 20, so I've still got to play around with that and get it right. I'm testing my gas mileage now, so hopefully I'll have some numbers soon.

Chris
Old 02-26-2003, 05:04 AM

Attached are the settings I'm using on the SMT-6 right now.

Chris
Old 08-01-2003, 03:21 PM

what did you do to get your truck running normal again? Mine is doign the excat same thing but i dont haev supra maf on it...yet....anyway i have pritty much same setup, SMT6, 370cc injectors and S/C but i have a 96 tacoma....its irritating and im afriad to dfrive my truck for screwing up truck.

if there is anything that can be done let me know....im thinking i may even need a beter ECU maybe from 96 4runner....which is supported and my ECU according to TRD is not...

thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:09 PM

Johnny,

I'm going to post the main message through email and the new performance mod thread so everyone can view it.

Chris