Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

seafoam treatment question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seafoam treatment question

I got a question for any one who has done a seafoam treatment. After injecting the seafoam and and letting it sit about a half hour should i drive it around or is running the engine up while it sits still ok?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM

It can sit. Rev the engine at 2000 rpms til smoke goes away. Work great for me!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I just start it up and let it run for a few minutes. It will smoke bad for a couple of minutes. After it quits smoking for awhile is when I start driving it again. Sometimes the smoke is REALLY bad so dont get worried.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM

so the treatment works well then? Any noticeable difference?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If the motor is clean and everything is right you wont notice any difference. If it is really dirty and such you will see a differnece. I do mine from time to time and if I get a used car, I always do it.

Proper maintenance will help keep the motor clean. I just do it once a year on my daily drivers.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 PM

well mine is a 99 thats probably never had anything done other than oil changes, air filter changes and a trans fluid change with pan drop. so maybe ill see some improvement.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

You should see a little diffeence. It might run a little smoother. It wont hurt anything and can only help. Let us know the results.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
If the motor is clean and everything is right you wont notice any difference. If it is really dirty and such you will see a differnece. I do mine from time to time and if I get a used car, I always do it.

Proper maintenance will help keep the motor clean. I just do it once a year on my daily drivers.
X2
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM

will do for sure
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM

How do you introduce the seafoam into the engine?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM

there is a hose to the right of the throttle body that kinda leads down and to the left.
pull the end of that hose off and stick it in the bottle of seafoam, inject a 3rd of the bottle at a time.

Ive put in a bottle and a half worth over the last couple of hours and its still smoking like crazy every time.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

i sucked some up into my silverado one day and had to go to work started it up that night drove about a mile blowing a smoke screen lol i do think the longer it sits the more impressive the results from it

and yes i did it to my toyota to noticed a little bit of a smoother idle not a bad deal for what it does
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM

"Ive put in a bottle and a half worth over the last couple of hours and its still smoking like crazy every time."

And it will continue to smoke for as long as you are pouring seafoam into it. The common misconception regarding seafoam if that the smoke is all of the carbon and gunk being burnt off. Seafoam is a petroleum based product that just happens to clean very well, therefore the smoke that you are seeing is simply oil from the seafoam being burnt and released into the atmosphere. You could do the seafoam treatment on a brand new, perfectly clean engine and see the same smoke.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 87 Deathtrap
"Ive put in a bottle and a half worth over the last couple of hours and its still smoking like crazy every time."

And it will continue to smoke for as long as you are pouring seafoam into it. The common misconception regarding seafoam if that the smoke is all of the carbon and gunk being burnt off. Seafoam is a petroleum based product that just happens to clean very well, therefore the smoke that you are seeing is simply oil from the seafoam being burnt and released into the atmosphere. You could do the seafoam treatment on a brand new, perfectly clean engine and see the same smoke.
I have seafoamed several cars, and I have noticed that the first time you do it, you get a much bigger white cloud than on one I have done before. This suggests to me that there is some contribution to the smoke from the gunk getting cleaned. The gunk has to go somewhere.

And to the OP, read the seafoam website. They actually recommend that you drive aggressively upon restarting the engine until the white smoke disappears. I think the intent is to really blow everything out. You won't get the same effect just sitting and revving.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM

But I need all those carbon deposits on my rings to hold compression...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM

thats not good
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
I have seafoamed several cars, and I have noticed that the first time you do it, you get a much bigger white cloud than on one I have done before. This suggests to me that there is some contribution to the smoke from the gunk getting cleaned. The gunk has to go somewhere.

And to the OP, read the seafoam website. They actually recommend that you drive aggressively upon restarting the engine until the white smoke disappears. I think the intent is to really blow everything out. You won't get the same effect just sitting and revving.
Ditto. While yes it will always smoke some i have seen it over and over again smoke far worse the first time i do it vs the last time. Usually by the time i am done it only smokes for ~30 seconds to a min vs the first time taking ~5 mins to clear the smoke out.

I have had luck both driving it and letting it sit but driving it does seem to work a little better. Gets things hotter and will burn off more carbon. I like looking at the smoke fill up the neighborhood though so i will often just let it sit and free rev lol.

The last treatment I usually let sit overnight and start it up in the morning. Gives it a good long while to soak in. Need to use quite a bit for that last one though or it will all evaporate before it can work.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used to use sea foam and found that after a year or two of regular treatment and finally doing a head job rtealized it didnt do diddly squat. seems to be cleaner disableing the egr and letting the csi clean while it runs
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i used to use sea foam and found that after a year or two of regular treatment and finally doing a head job rtealized it didnt do diddly squat. seems to be cleaner disableing the egr and letting the csi clean while it runs
It helps, mostly it cleans the valve sealing surfaces/rings ect but it helps with carbon as well. I have seen vacuum improve after a treatment which is a direct indication that it is helping. Also seen compression drop due to removing carbon deposits.

Got to remember that carbon builds up mainly when driving around like grandma. It also builds up fast, especially if the motor is old and it is getting oil in the combustion chamber. I have seen carbon build up on my last engine that slipped a timing belt after 50 miles. It already had carbon starting to build up. Give it another 1000 miles and it would have had a nice coating.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM

dont over do it it will foul yer plugs

Quick Reply: seafoam treatment question