95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rear brakes seizing? please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait a minute....I just took another look at this pic:

Now look at this pic:

I think the post sheared off on of the drum shoes because in the second pic the adjuster catch and e-brake lever does not touch the inside of the shoe where as in your pic, it does appear to be against the inside of the shoe. Take a look at your "good" side and verify this. Could be an optical illusion in your pic as well.

It could also be the adjuster itself because the little tab on the adjuster is supposed to keep it engaged with the catch, it could be that the adjuster was far enough out of adjustment that when the cyinders extend, it pushes the catch beyond the end of the adjuster's ratchet section.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-13-2005 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the rear shoes directional? In the older cars chevy etc the shoes were different. I am haveing major issues with my rear shoes and I am curious if toyota has different ones for diff shoes.ie longer shoe in front thicker shoe in the rear...just put on Napa shoes and I have poor brakes.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

they should be marked with an 'r' and 'l' on the shoes. when i did mine recently it was the first thing i looked for as i had never done brakes by myself.

lee
Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by noahrexion
Thanks for everyones input on this so far. James, that was not the issue with mine. My drums were very hard to pull off on both sides telling me the shoes were obviously tightly pushed against them.

I also noted after pulling the drum off and applying the regular brake that the RR sides adjusting level (part with the teeth that you can adjust from the back plate) was getting stuck behind the adjuster.

Pic 1 is how it is supposed to be when applying the brakes or not, Pic 2 shows what my RR side is doing when applying the brake. Because the adjuster is getting wedged there, it is holding a certain amount of pressure on the shoes thus making my wheel stick/stop the car.

So I adjusted both sides shoes to back off the drums a little more and for now it seemed to have solved the problem. I don't know if my adjusters are failing or the one side is cracked and its getting wedged because it is not follwing the spring when the brake is applied. Or is all I had to do was adjust the damn shoes to back off a bit, because now instead of 4 clicks for my e-brake to work, it is within the normal specifications of 7-11 clicks and it feels a lot better now.

I am a bit worried as something tells me it isn't this easy and that I will have to replace something. But like I said, Ill keep this thread alive until i KNOW that its fixed and what it was. Ill just cross my fingers and hope I did it tonight
I know it's an old thread but i found it searching for my problem,just replaced axle seal and wheel bearing and after everything is back together I'm having this same issue with the self adjuster,did anyone found why is doing that.what is the solution.any help would be appreciated