Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Poor man's black pearl emblems---not bad! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front is on

I finally had time to finish my grille. I did the gutter guard material behind the grille and lower valence. FYI, the outside valence bolts at the wheel wells where seized. I had to cut both of them off. Plus, after affixing the gutter guard to the valence, it was extremely difficult to get all of the valence bolts back in. (Tight access). Does not tlook too ricey - and will keep the leaves out of my radiator now.

For the emblems, I did the Testors paint (3 coats black pearl and 2 coats of clear). Taping off the "V6" was tough and removing the tape took an exacto cut and careful picking/pulling. I got some navy sign vinyl and put it behind the center emblem also. I've had this part done for a week and it looks good so far...

I had to do all of this stuff prior to getting my grille guard back on (it was off getting the rust removed and getting a nice coating of black bedliner paint) When putting it back on last night (in the dark), I crossthreaded a stainless bolt (with allen cap head) - no way to cut it off where was. I ended up using visegrips to hold the head and a socket to attempt to back off the nut. Eventually I sheared it off - boy am I glad it wasn't a Grade 8!!! Gotta hit the "Depot" for a new one today and finish up the front end.

I bought a rivet nut tool and rivet nuts to put my tailguards back on properly. Will let you know how this works out.

My battery is dead on my digital, so I need to borrow/buy a new one. Pics to follow.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cebby, et al:

Well I had to re-do my emblems except for the Toyota logo b/c I got a little crazy with the clear coat. Here's some learning tips from moi':

- 2 light coats of black pearl is plenty.
- 2 light coats of clear coat is plenty.
- 4 coats total is perfect.

I actually did 3 coats of each. The problem was that the paint had built up so much that if you pressed on the emblem with your fingernail, you could actually see the dent in the paint b/c it was so thick. I discovered my error when I was applying the emblems back on. :cry:

But alas, no problem. I just soaked the emblems in a glass jar full of turpentine and the paint came right off. I'm going to do the emblems over again.

Bob
Old 11-25-2002, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

- 2 light coats of black pearl is plenty.
- 2 light coats of clear coat is plenty.
- 4 coats total is perfect.

Bob
Hey Bob, can you let us know how the 4 coats turns out this time as opposed to your first try?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2002, 11:32 AM

Paint Hardness

Bob,

Do you have any idea how long until the paint is totally cured? I've heard widely varying information on this (from 1 week to 1 month depending on climate)

I helped mine along by having them near my forced air kerosene heater in my garage. I used kid-glove care when installing mine, so no marks on them.

I still need to do the tailgate.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Guys,

I'm sorry, but I'm not really the paint expert here. Having said that, just don't apply it too thick and do let it dry before putting on a second coat. I let my first coat dry over night next to our portable heater. That seemed to do the job well so I did it again for the 2nd coat. Two light coats should be fine.

Also and I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but clean the spray nozzle so you will have a fine mist coming out and not big blobs.

Beauwolf: I should have stopped at the 2nd pearl paint coat and stopped at the 2nd clear coat. I got a little overzealous on the 3rd paint coat and after it dried, I could tell it looked a little too thick. Whatever possessed me to do a 3rd coat of clear is beyond me!

Bob
Old 11-25-2002, 11:06 PM

With enamel, finesse helps. 3 light coats should be OK. Using a rattle can, a light spray is about 10" away from the emblem, a 2 second sweeping burst, turn the piece, and repeat. 1 light coat. Enamel has a heavy build. If you go close, and shoot a wet coat, expect it to take a long time to dry. More than a day. I usually go a little heavy on my final coat, for wet gloss. Put a piece of masking tape beside the piece you're painting and spray it the same. This is your 'I gotta-see if it's dry' sample. That way, if you get impatient, touch the tape, press it, what ever you want to do. Don't touch your piece and ruin it. Enamel will dry slow. Most paints take several days to cure and will continue to do so up to several weeks. Be patient, use common sense and have fun.
B
Old 11-26-2002, 09:54 AM

Hey Philly,

I'll send you some 3M double sided tape. Email me your snail mail addy.

Bob
Old 11-30-2002, 06:38 PM

As promised...

Here are some pics of my completed front end with black pearl emblems.

Close up of Toy emblem and "V6". Toy emblem has navy sign vinyl behind it. (Thanks for the idea Butnut)

Shots of my Smittybilt guard back on after de-rusting and painting with bedliner paint. PIAA light grilles have the "PIAA" painted with body color paint. Notice the gutter guard behind the grille and lower valance. I painted my factory tow hook with John Deere yellow tractor paint - just to be different. Matches my Bils and Rear Coils though...

Old 12-01-2002, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Cebby rock on looking good!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:35 PM

Looks good Cebby...got that chrome and black-out thang going. Ain't it fun doing the little things only a Runner nut would notice? :confused:
Hey Phil...let it dry watch the grass grow while you wait...LOL
butnut
Old 12-02-2002, 04:33 PM

Cebby:

Looks awesome! As for me, I goofed my 2nd attempt at getting it to look perfect. This time the dust bunnies attached themselves to the 2nd coat. :mad: I re-soaked them in turpentine and I'm going to start all over again.

Mental note: make sure not to vaccuum near drying emblems.

Bob
Old 12-02-2002, 05:05 PM

Easy does it...

Doh! Dust bunnies? That bites.

I think my total dry time was three days total for my 5 coats. I was fearful of debris in my paint, so I'd basically paint them, then lock the room to keep anything from happening to them. Also, the front ones can be applied pretty much without touching them. I am concerned about the tailgate turning out as I think that is more of a challenge than the front.

Good Luck - One more time!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:19 PM

I'm inspired

That looks great! Especially on a black 4R. I am inspired to do my tailgate now. How many coats did you do?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:22 PM

Very nice Phil. No finger prints on the paint! The '02's looks sharp with the color matched parts...I'm happy they made chrome for guys like me...:beaver: Give it at least a month before you apply any wax...did I say paint dries slow?
butnut
Old 12-06-2002, 06:52 PM

Question Pearl on Gold?

I just bought a new ride. I love everything about it except the gold emblems. I don't mean to knock anyone with the gold package, it's just not my cup of tea.
Do you guys know if ths paint trick might work on a gold emblem?

Thanks,

CJ
Old 12-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

wait what is supposed to be color matched? Because my license plate surround is ugly grey and then the outside rim of that is chrome, but the sport/limited are color matched.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:16 PM

Yup

Hey C-Dog,

I think the paint will work fine over the gold emblems. Just prep them properly. Do a good sanding/scuffing so you get good paint adhesion. And the biggie - don't rush it!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by sleepy1405
wait what is supposed to be color matched? Because my license plate surround is ugly grey and then the outside rim of that is chrome, but the sport/limited are color matched.
Some have the color matched bumpers and painted license surround...others, like yours have the chrome bumper and chrome surround.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 AM

Guys,

I checked the webstats that i activated on 4runners.org and my "Black Pearl" article is the one that gets the most page views/hits. I also received this email from a Camry owner who recently did the mod:

Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 9:49 AM
To: bobkim@4runners.org
Subject: black pearl emblems

Bob, thanks for the info. i bought the paint already and i did it last last weekend. it was fantastic! same as the OEMs very nice. i did it for my 02 camry...everybody was impressed! thanks again

Mark
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So for all you guys who are considering it or are skeptical, this is just more proof that it works. Save your bucks for the expensive mods and just do it yourself.

Bob