Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please Help!? Cruise Control Doesn't Work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Please Help!? Cruise Control Doesn't Work!

I have a 1999 2.7L 4cyl 4WD MT 4RUNNER, conversion, with manual locking hubs. I used the drive train from a 1999 Tacoma to complete the conversion from AT/2WD to MT/4WD. One thing left to remedy is my lack of cruise control. Both vehicles had factory cruise control installed. The ECU is congruent with with the manual transmission. Should my gear indicator lights be working in the dash? Is the park/neutral switch connected to the clutch, and brake sensor cable? My initial guess is that my problems have to do with the park/neutral sensor. However, I'm also curios about how the clutch sensor works, too. I noticed that my clutch sensor in the up position is not connected to anything and has no wiring to it. I moved the lower sensor to that position and all that changed was the clutch did not need to be engaged to start. *Side note: the clutch override switch was never transferred to the 4RUNNER from the Tacoma. I digress though, after running diagnostics it appears that my control lever on the steering wheel is in working order. The one diagnostic it won't pass is the "Cruise" light test. When in the "on" position the "Cruise" light is supposed to disappear when the clutch, brake, and/or E brake/AT Shift lever are engaged/disengaged. Perhaps I have that wrong...? Admittedly, I am not the strongest mechanic around. I'm simply tired of paying people for work that was supposed to be done correctly in the first place and wasn't. Really, I just want my cruise control to work. It's the third most annoying step that was overlooked in the conversion; right after the A/C not working but not as annoying as the 4WD malfunctioning. Thank you in advance for any and all help. I appreciate your time!

Last edited by vicmeier; 01-15-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise control is a tricky system. And dealing with it on a conversion is even worse.

The park/neutral switch should be the same as the clutch safety switch that triggers when the pedal is fully pressed.

on the A/T version the ecu should read the brake light signal to deactivate cruise if you hit the brakes. The m/t version should read the signal from the brakes and the clutch (top) sensor to disengage if either pedal is pushed.

there should also be signal from the dash gear selector light from the a/t version to tell the ecu you’re in drive. I don’t think there is such a signal for the m/t.

did the m/T ecu get used? This should all be handled by the ecu if the harness has all the sensors plugged in.

without seeing the vehicle, I don’t know what all got switched and what didn’t.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:41 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Can't help in detail as much - just to say that the only time I've had issues with the CC in my MT 4Runner it was from the clutch pedal switch at the top of the travel. As you *first* start pressing the pedal down, this switch is triggered (not sure if it opens or closes). At 200K-ish miles it had come out of adjustment slightly, and was triggering randomly when not pressing the clutch. I didn't need to replace it, just adjust it down a little bit.
The following users liked this post:
vicmeier (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:26 AM

Thank you.

Originally Posted by fierohink
Cruise control is a tricky system. And dealing with it on a conversion is even worse.
Yes I've learned that the hard way.
The park/neutral switch should be the same as the clutch safety switch that triggers when the pedal is fully pressed.
The service manual shows three different sensors, so, that's what I was operating on. As for the clutch, only one of the sensors is connected.
on the A/T version the ecu should read the brake light signal to deactivate cruise if you hit the brakes. The m/t version should read the signal from the brakes and the clutch (top) sensor to disengage if either pedal is pushed.

there should also be signal from the dash gear selector light from the a/t version to tell the ecu you’re in drive. I don’t think there is such a signal for the m/t.
Maybe if the old switch is in there I can set it to drive"
did the m/T ecu get used? This should all be handled by the ecu if the harness has all the sensors plugged in.
It did get used.
without seeing the vehicle, I don’t know what all got switched and what didn’t.
At this point, I'm not sure what did or didn't get switched. Thank you for your insights.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:28 AM

The top clutch switch is not connected to anything. I only have the bottom switch.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:50 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Send me a PM or post here an email address and I’ll send you the wiring diagram I have.
The following users liked this post:
vicmeier (01-18-2021)