Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics of my '92 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shop you probably went to is 4WheelParts. I've never gone there but I've got friends that have. From what I've heard, I don't think they are the best place to use.

As for the spark plug wires. Personally I think you should return them for a full refund and go buy the OEM wires from Toyota. They are a much better quality and come with all the clips and stuff. Plugs and wires should be Toyota. Another reason to do this is that if you are having issues and take it to the dealer, they may blame your aftermarket stuff that's on there. Plus the spark plug wires are about the same price as the ones you bought from Autozone.

Get some PB Blaster and hit those bolts. I'd say do it at least a day in advance. It's really good stuff and will run you about $4-5 a can if I remember right. I keep some in my toolbox and it's always done me well.

I think you should buy the Downey HD coils. The kit comes with an extended brake line, LPSV bracket, and one other bracket for the install. It'll run you about $180 but it's worth it. My back end sits just barely higher than my front and I haven't touched my t-bars yet. I just left it like that since you can barely notice it.

:bounce2:

Last edited by AgRunner06; 10-19-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Ag, hmmm...what you say about the plug wires makes me wonder. I know Toy parts are top notch. I probably should have gone that route. The only thing is that the truck is so far out of warranty that it's not even funny...plus I can't imagine ever taking it to the stealer for anything. Seems to be running great now...so I think I'll leave the aftermarket wires in. I think it'll be fine.

I went to Home Depot the other day and tried to find the PB Blaster. They didn't have it. So I got Liquid Wrench and sprayed all the nuts and bolts down pretty good. Do you know off-hand what the top rear shock nut size is? There is a good bit of rust on there and it'll be hard to get a wrench on, so knowing the nut size will surely help.

I've yet to make a move on the coils. The Downeys will definitely be in the running. I'll probably pull the trigger in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tips!

And yea, the shop I went to was 4WheelParts. I was really surprised they didn't have ANYTHING I was looking for. They would have had to order it all...couldn't believe it! I've found, through here, what look like great online shops...Performance Products looks like it has pretty much everything.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Walmart carries PB Blaster if you are still looking for some.

If those are the original shocks then I'm not quite sure what nut is on there. My ProComps were already on there when I installed my coils. But if I were to guess, I'd say that it's a 12 or 14mm. You can probably find what size it is in one of the write-ups on here.

:bounce2: