Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is This Normal For A New Muffler/Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is This Normal For A New Muffler/Exhaust System?

Hey, Well as some of you know I just got a new exhaust system a few days ago, and so far I am absolutely loving it!!! But today I noticed something that i'm not sure if it's normal or not. I was sitting in my driveway and I started the engine (cold start, hadn't been started since last night) and I decided to rev the engine a bit to hear it For some reason I had the door opened, and was looking back towards the tail pipe, when all of the sudden I see a little puff of dark smoke come out, so I rev it a couple more times, and it happens again, after 2 or 3 revs another little puff of dark smoke comes out, and when that happened the truck kind of hiccuped and then was normal again. I also noticed some condensation building up in the exhaust pipe, and after I reved it bit some water would come out, not much but just a few drops.

I know it's normal for a new muffler to smell and smoke a bit while it's burning off the laquer or whatever it is. And after the day I got it, I didn't smell the smell anymore, but it also never smoked when it was burning it off. So are the little dark puffs of smoke just left over laquer burning off (It only shoots out the little puffs when i've been reving it for a few minutes, and it's warmed up). And then i'm worried about the condensation that's building up. I've only noticed it after a cold start, and not after i've started it up after it's warmed up.

I really hope that this is all normal. It's just kind of freaking me out, because I never had any condensation building up with my old exhaust, and I never had any little puffs of smoke while reving it.

Anyone have any ideas? Because I am completely stumped on this

-Braden :monkey:
Old 09-30-2002, 09:57 AM

Anyone know about this? I haven't started it up this morning yet, so I'm hoping that it will be miracously fixed I'm just hoping that it's just my engine getting used to the new exhaust system, and the larger pipes.

-Braden
Old 09-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Brad, there are 3 kinds of smoke, well 4 actually.

1. White/can be from a cold morning, which is normal.
2. White again/ if lots of white smoke, this indicates a blown head gasket.
3. Black/engine running too rich. The black is soot, and unburned gas.
4. Blue/oil getting past the rings or valve guides.

Yours may have just been a little carbon burning off, or still the muffler.
It's normal for an engine to let a little get by, but if lots of blue is getting by, then that would indicate a problem as in #4 above.

Also the condensation coming out is normal. When I fire mine up, even for the first time on a hot summer day, it spits water out for a bit, and a little white smoke.
That's the water heating up that is in the pipes.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:29 AM

Corey- Thank you sooooo much!!! I was just about driving myself insane because I thought I blew a head gasket or something It definitely wasn't white smoke, and it wasn't blue smoke (I had that happen when I was driving my jeep ) I need to get gas today, I'll probably not get the premium like i've been doing (I swear I get better gas mileage with the 91 octane ) So maybe that will clear it up, or else it's time to clean my throttle body again

Thanks for the help Corey

-Braden
Old 09-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Hey there Braden.
Just keep an eye on it. Maybe check your coolant and see if it drops. I dont think its the head gasket.

My '97 4runner would blow white smoke every morning when i would start it up.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Blu

Hello everyone as this is my first post.
Braden I have a 93 and put new exhaust on it a few months ago.
It did the same thing, smoked and stunk for the 1st few days. It scared me too death. I kept a close eye on it and it went away.
The muffler shop said this is normal.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:25 PM

Braden, did you have your head gasket replaced. The 2nd gen's head gaskets were recalled and replaced for free. You can still do it. Just take it to the dealer and ask them to run the VIN # to see if it was done, if not, they have to do it for you! Then you don't have to worry about it anymore. :fireman:
Old 09-30-2002, 11:17 PM

BTOWN- Yeah that's the first thing I did before I bought it My HG was replaced back in November of '99 So hopefully it'll last me a while longer My truck is still running absolutely perfectly (well even better now with the new exhaust ) I just remembered today that the last time I got gas I added a fuel injector cleaner (I don't remember the name off hand, it was a silver bottle, a little smaller than a quart of oil. It had red white and blue lettering on it, I think it might of been Amsoil, but I really don't remember. It was a really powerful one that you're only supposed to add it every 5000 miles or so.) So I just realized that the black puffs of smoke could be from that cleaner So i'm thinking that the fuel injector cleaner that I added is what was causing me to worry

Thanks for the help everyone And let's just hope that nothing is wrong with my truck

-Braden
Old 10-01-2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
The 2nd gen's head gaskets were recalled and replaced for free. You can still do it. Just take it to the dealer and ask them to run the VIN # to see if it was done, if not, they have to do it for you! Then you don't have to worry about it anymore. :fireman:
REALLY??:eek:
I wonder if I could get away with a free gasket job, mines a mess after the last owner tried to replace it himself. I'll be calling my favorite dealer this week, fill him in and see what he says.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:02 AM

Fred- Yeah you should definitely call your dealership. As long as your Head Gasket hasn't all ready been replaced under the recall, then they'll replace it. When you call or go down there just ask them to run your VIN# to see if it's been replaced, and they should be able to tell you exactly when it was replaced if it was.

-Braden
Old 10-01-2002, 12:02 PM

I put a new exauhst on a Nissan maxima and smoke came pouring from underneath....i forgot to take the stickers off :pat: