Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Truck, Bad Lift? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leak

Ya the oil leak, it's always something. Here shortly at the end of the month I will be moving so I have a garage to work in Here are some pictures with the new tires ProComp 33x12.50 xterrains. I really like them, makes the whole truck feel a whole lot sturdier. Heard they are horrible in the snow but that's ok I live in Montana, doh, it snows here in July The topper is coming off once I have somewhere to store it

Old 04-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, to all those saying "that front lift looks scary, take it off" need to keep their uninformed comments to themselves. If you don't know what your talking about, shut up.

Second, you don't have an idler arm or a pitman arm, so no need to replace those.

Third, you need to closely look at the coil/strut spacer for cracks. it looks like you have a pretty good crack going there, and if that fails, you will more than likely wreck your truck.

Fourth, sway bar brackets won't cause wobble. Maybe some clicking and clanking noises.

Honestly you need to take it to an honest shop that knows 4wd front ends. You've got something out of whack somewhere.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Idler arm and pitman arm, well I noticed that today, those are on the earlier trucks that had torsion bars up front(still learning). As for the wobble I am first going to replace the brackets and bushings holding the front sway bar and then replace the ball joints upper and lower and replace the bushings on the rack and pinion and the shocks. Also going to replace the blocks in the rear with 56" Alcan leaf springs.

If then I still have the wobble I will do some more investigating and then just maybe take it to a shop.

The new tires have helped a great deal. Just in case I didn't mention this, one of the sway bar brackets has a very good crack and the bushings are shot. The wobble only happens when I hit a bump at high speeds around a corner.

Thanks for the advice. Any advice is helpful whether they know what they are talking about or not. I enjoy hearing what people have to say, if I am going in the wrong direction about doing this and if someone disagrees with me or someone else's advice I want to know why and maybe we all can learn. Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Like I said before, I have the same set up and I am happy with mine...rides nice and I even took out my front sway bar. Just get those broken items replaced, get an alignment and hit the road. Who ever owned that rig before you must have launched it off of a 50 foot jump due to those broken parts.

Thats pretty cool that those parts are covered under warranty, you cant beat that!

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Well I have forgot to mention that the shock/spring spacer looks like it is cracked in the picture but it is actually the paint peeling right there. I still might talk to the guy at Pro Comp and see if I can switch them out for new ones just to be on the safe side. By the way I have head that Pro Comp's customer service is pretty bad but so far I have not had a problem with them, the secretary girl is kind of rude probably because I interrupted her phone call with her b/f or was doing her nails or something.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I still do not see anything wrong with the lift.

Except for your sway bar bracket is cracked, and your bushings for the swaybar look to be toast.

Other than that, it looks fine. You have stock suspension angles, and thats a lot healthier than most of the people running 2.5" suspension lifts with bad tierod, cv and swaybar angles. Not to mention the stress they are putting on the ball joints.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 AM

I agree with most comments. I do not think the lift is bad. It is not one I would choose, if I had the opportunity to select from various brands.
I hate the spindle spacer, but I'm sure the top ball joint is at a much nicer angle then mine!

There is no Idler arm and pitman arm on a truck with the Rack and Pinion. I just installed Energy Suspension rack bushings, and my highway handling has improved.

The tires look GREAT! I like

SWAY BAR , LINKS, Bushings... DO CAUSE a god aweful sway back and forth (left to right) at higher speeds. It usually gets more violent if you do not ease of the gas. I have experienced this in all my trucks, when the sway bar is disconnected or broken.

That said. I am having trouble snapping end links on my 96 v6 ext cab. Its got a 2.5" spacer and 265x75 16's. Does anyone else run into this? I do corner pretty hard on a regular basis..

I tend to snap the end links at or around the 6 month interval. They seem to snap at the weld between the ball and link.

I'm gonna go to one of the surplus stores, and pick up a few rod ends, and try to fab up something heavier to replace them. (I've replaced about 4 in the last couple of years.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:48 PM

did you fix it yet and what did you do to fix it
Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
The wobble only happens when I hit a bump at high speeds around a corner.
you hit bumps around corners at high speeds all the time not to be smart...but is its JUST then cuz one of the three conditions for wobble could be eliminated
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Definately get the blocks out of front and the rear. The cheapest good way to lift the front would prolly be to go with an OME (ARB) coil setup and bilstein shocks. there are several differnet kits and heights.