Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Truck, Bad Lift? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have already said, that is a Procomp 4" IFS lift. They indeed cut the crossmember out and install a new drop-down bracket which holds the differential and rack and pinion. You gain lift without sacrificing down-travel and bad CV/Tie rod angles.

This is a similar lift to what I have up front.

Id personally get new spacers up there though. They are cracked. Also get some different shocks/coils if you want a better ride. You can stick with some stock Tacoma/4runner/DblCab coils and keep the lift height or go up to some Tundras for a few extra inches.

If you have any questions about that front lift let me know, I can help you out as I installed mine on my own.

Have you checked to see if you still have the sway bar intact?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the wobble, I would get a new spacer as well as new rubber shocks seats because it is also craked and make sure every nut, bolt, and screw on that truck is tight. As everybody else said though check the steering rack, could be the bushings as well as the steering racks themselves are weak links in Tacomas/4Runners.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:40 AM

I have the same lift on my 4runner.... yours just looks like its been wheeled pretty heavy or possibly not put together correctly 100% leaving some broken pieces. I would take a close look to your front IFS lift and see what needs replaced and contact ProComp and see about replacing those items.

How do the front tires look? are they wearing even?

I really can't complain about my front lift (same as yours)....so far so good and I'm pretty satisfied with it...Its a very decent ride too...no wobble or steering issues.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM

yeah front drop bracket lifts are supposed to be good. i don't see why people think its such a bad way!??! you gain lift and keep diff angles stock. just change all the bushing and other hardware that is cracked. as for the back.
www.allprooffroad.com i think has some 5" leaf springs for the back of your truck. you'll have a rake though. i think they also have a 3" springs just add a 1" block to even it out. though you want to stay away from blocks to elminate axle wrap, a 1" won't be as bad....especially from that big block you have in the back.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 AM

I remember seeing King Racing coilovers on a truck with that pro-comp lift. They stood out to me, hi-tech coilovers with that crappy balljoint spacer right next to them. I didn't find them on Kings site but you could call..

Price will be high..

http://www.kingshocks.com/
Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
worst lift ive seen
Looks like a shady lift I hope you can fix it! You've got good advice on this thread. Goo luck, looks like you got a lot of projects
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 PM

time for an sas!!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does look like a crack in the spacer by the nut. But is it just the paint pealing or a crack in the steel?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM

I have seen so many bad lifts. This one doesn't look that bad but needs to be looked at real close. Check all bushings nuts bolts shocks etc. then replace all the bad parts and have the front end re-aligned at a decent shop. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks for taking the time to post a reply and helping me figure out what I can do to fix this. This will be some project but I am very excited to get started. The best way to learn is by learning by others mistakes. Right on, thanks again
Old 03-26-2007, 05:11 PM

The upper control arm is sitting way high, look at a stocker then look at the pic of this one.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 03-26-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM

more pics

Here are some more pics if anyone sees something wrong or has some more advice. Thanks

Old 03-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Looks like there is a tear in your tie-rod boot. Other than that might have somebody check your ball joints. Never know what kind of stress they might be under. Probably ok since the angles look good.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM

My thoughts at the point you are at would be in all seriousness, to start thinking about sliding in a dana 44. With the parts I see on your lift that are stressed and fatigued beyond normal service life, sourcing replacements may be a challenge. Especially with parts UNIQUE to that particular lift. My guess is that PRO_CRAP doesn't sell parts individually, but rather as a whole new lift kit. If you are buying replacement rear springs to match the front height then it would be just as easy to get front springs, frame tubes, and other parts to SAS. Just my opinion, seeing what you have to work with, the irreversibility of your lift, and the quality of parts currently on your truck.

Matt
Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 PM

update

Well this is what I have looked into/done since the first post. It hasn't been much but I have been doing a lot of research so I do it right. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Starting at the front:

I contacted All Pro and they said all their products on the front end suspension lift have a lifetime warranty. All I have to do is take off the part and send the defective one to them and they send me a replacement and all I pay for is the shipping. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I am going to replace the springs with some stock Tacoma springs since I don't want to lift the truck anymore than it already is. As for the shocks I am leaning toward the Rancho 9000's.

The rear:

Well here is what I have been thinking about doing.
Getting some 91' Toyota mounts and relocating the spring hanger forward and purchasing some 89' or later Alcan leaf springs 56'' long.
New shocks

So far I have purchased new Pro comp tires, 33x12.50 xterrains xtc. Took advantage of their buy 3 get 1 free sale.

I am also dealing with a vibration when driving at higher speeds so once I get the new tires the truck will be getting an alignment and see if that cures that problem and if not I have a list of things to check.

As for the wobble I would assume this would be my problem on sway bar bracket. Any ideas of what sway bar this may be and where I can purchase a new say bar that would work with the lift I have since who ever put this one in was a hack and didn't care according to the second picture you can see where the problem all started and why the support is broken and the bushings are shot on that one side.

Thanks for reading and looking and any ideas. HAPPY EASTER!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 AM

any suggestions?

Well here is what has happened so far. I got the new tires put on and I went to go get it aligned at tire rama here and they said they wouldn't aligned it because there was too much wrong with the front end . I needed a bushing for the steering rack not the U looking bushing but the bushing O
bushing on the driver side. I went to the local dealership and they said that I that they do not carry that bushing and that I would have to order a whole new rack and pinion, so it would have been a $900 bushing Well I ended up going to the local off road store and they said the same thing but the guy decided to look into a little further and found a complete bushing set for $13 . Anyone know why the dealership doesn't sell this one bushing. Is there a reason why you can't replace it?

I also have ordered new rancho 90000, upper ball joints for both sides, and bushing set for the sway bar.

Things I still need to order tie rod boots, rubber shock seats, lower ball joints, hanger brackets from allpro, idler arm bushings and maybe the pitman arm.

If anyone has any other ideas of what may be suffering from damage and needs replaced I am open ears. Thanks

I am curios to know why Toyota doesn't replace that bushing on the steering rack. Anyone have any ides or the same problem?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 04-14-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Hey,

Sounds like you making progress, I'm curious where in MT you are. The neighborhood looks familiar.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Good ol' Boz-Angeles
Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Bozo-land huh? that's why it looks like Missoula. I was going to say take it to master Tech in Msla, but since you're 200 miles away, that wouldn't be too easy.

Andy
Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Here are some more pics if anyone sees something wrong or has some more advice. Thanks

Looks like you have a pretty good oil leak going on there.

Quick Reply: New Truck, Bad Lift? Pics