95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New K&N Kit Installed (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I guess I didn't see the request but here's Gadget's site and he's got numbers comparing intakes and filters on this page and this is a pretty popular referance site for SC'd Runners also and has been for a few years.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm
Hmmm, this shows a net LOSS in HP with a K&N FIPK. Surprising.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ARB1977
I bet sound fast now...could of saved some coin and done a deckplate mod thats more practical.
Could have. Even have a deckplate to do it. But didn't want to.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Hmmm, this shows a net LOSS in HP with a K&N FIPK. Surprising.
With the kit, I got a dyno sheet showing before and after installation on a '01 Tacoma 3.4L, Auto 2WD2G. Shows a 9.45hp increase. Also came with a Horsepower Guaranteed Sheet. I'll scan both and post for people to see.

Everyone will end up with different results one way or another. I really wish I had the chance to dyno before and after but again... none are close by. Down in the 48, there should be one in almost every major city. On that one link it was attached to a Supercharger, right? Maybe the owner can forward that to K&N and see what they have to say for themselves. It would be great to get K&N and Amsoil to do some independant testing on each others products and see what they come up with (like that would ever happen, but...)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
With the kit, I got a dyno sheet showing before and after installation on a '01 Tacoma 3.4L, Auto 2WD2G. Shows a 9.45hp increase. Also came with a Horsepower Guaranteed Sheet. I'll scan both and post for people to see.

Everyone will end up with different results one way or another. I really wish I had the chance to dyno before and after but again... none are close by. Down in the 48, there should be one in almost every major city. On that one link it was attached to a Supercharger, right? Maybe the owner can forward that to K&N and see what they have to say for themselves. It would be great to get K&N and Amsoil to do some independant testing on each others products and see what they come up with (like that would ever happen, but...)
I have a dyno right down the street. I'm planning on a dyno run soon. I've got the deckplate and ISR mod. I'm probably going to just go with a True Flow drop in filter.

I dyno tested an Amsoil, K&N, and Stock filter on my 1999 Tacoma 4x4 TRD 5spd as well as the deck plate mod. All were within 1-2hp of each other. However having the deck plate opened added 11HP to the mid range vs. closed with stock filter. I have the dyno runs as proof as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Dyno from K&N, and their Guarantee that I said that I would post....

http://www.bsmanagement.com/shannon/extra/scan0003.pdf
and
http://www.bsmanagement.com/shannon/extra/scan0004.pdg

I would love to see someone else dyno this FIPK and see how they compare.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Dyno from K&N, and their Guarantee that I said that I would post....

http://www.bsmanagement.com/shannon/extra/scan0003.pdf
and
http://www.bsmanagement.com/shannon/extra/scan0004.pdg

I would love to see someone else dyno this FIPK and see how they compare.
Interesting and thanks for posting. Looks promising. I'm sure Gadget's was the Gen I version which was the metal tube. Perhaps this Gen II version being a polymer reduces intake temps and perhaps has a larger diameter?

Living so close to a dyno, I'm tempted to test their guarantee. I need to find out what the guy will charge me to do so.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting and thanks for posting. Looks promising. I'm sure Gadget's was the Gen I version which was the metal tube. Perhaps this Gen II version being a polymer reduces intake temps and perhaps has a larger diameter?

Living so close to a dyno, I'm tempted to test their guarantee. I need to find out what the guy will charge me to do so.
As I'm sure you know, the install was very easy. You can do a run, then park in the guys parking lot and swap it out. Do the second run 45 minutes later.... As for the cost, tell him you're on a forum and you may be able to drag some business his way. He may give you the second run for free...

Can't hurt to try. Any other 4Runner owners around you?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 AM

As I'm sure you know, the install was very easy. You can do a run, then park in the guys parking lot and swap it out. Do the second run 45 minutes later.... As for the cost, tell him you're on a forum and you may be able to drag some business his way. He may give you the second run for free...

Can't hurt to try. Any other 4Runner owners around you?
Haha, no. I live close to the Nissan plant where the Xterra is built. Mostly Nissans around me. Everyone else that drives a 4Runner looks like some soccer mom or Dad with 4 kids. Peoples eyes get big when they look under my hood. It's like they've never even seen a SC before.

In the next couple weeks I'm doing a dyno run regardless, so I'll think it over. I just don't wanna spend $220 on something that doesn't work. I'm gonna research the Air Raid as well. I'd prefer something with a dry filter.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
177 bucks?

thats e-spensive....
and almost pointless to boot. no real hp gained,the only time you will notice a diff is if you have headers and a hi flow cat and muffler.. also remember to clean the maf and your intake FREQUENTLY to keep from gumming up
Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
and almost pointless to boot. no real hp gained,the only time you will notice a diff is if you have headers and a hi flow cat and muffler.. also remember to clean the maf and your intake FREQUENTLY to keep from gumming up
I dunno, he's posted dyno info showing 9.5HP gains as well as a guarantee from K&N. I doubt they'd offer a 100% refund if they weren't positive of some type of gain.

Now, on gumming up the MAF, I'll agree there. I had to clean the one in my 99 Taco every 10,000 miles or so when I ran the K&N filter.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
I agree with that.....remember also that increased air flow = increased dirt flow= decreased engine life

nothing will filter as good as a stock toyota paper filter.

also, HP gains are moot without upgrading the entire air system, i.e. exhaust, headers, cat, etc.

I'm sure it looks and sounds cool but is it worth the money? who knows
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 AM

I dunno, he's posted dyno info showing 9.5HP gains as well as a guarantee from K&N. I doubt they'd offer a 100% refund if they weren't positive of some type of gain.

Now, on gumming up the MAF, I'll agree there. I had to clean the one in my 99 Taco every 10,000 miles or so when I ran the K&N filter.

i overlooked it, BUT is that dyno from his truck?? if not then its speculation. remember guys, marketing is about like a lawyer.. now i do know for a fact that k n is ok when paired with what i mentioned before. i am not knocking his purchase, its his truck and it looks good too.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM

I'm wondering if an intake would make more of a difference on a SC'd 3.4L motor. Anyone have any ideas on that? The only before and afters I've seen have been from Gadget which showed a net loss, but that was the early intake design from K&N. These new ones look to have a larger intake pipe.

If this would add another 10 horse across the RPM range to my SC'd 4Runner I think it'd be worth it. I'd rather have one that uses a dry filter element though.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 AM

yeah stick with paper filters if you can. good question too
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Here's my dyno comparisons I did on a 1999 Tacoma 3.4L 5spd 4x4 SR5 TRD NATURALLY ASPIRATED.

These were all done on the same day within an hour or so of each other. These are the best of the runs as several were done at each intake config.

None were much better than the other on the top end, but having the deck plate open made a huge difference in the mid range.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Nice Job,
I was going to do that K&N TO MINE TOO... you just gave me the inspriation to do it it! The sound is quite awsome.. I went with the Toyo TRD exhaust.. sounds kind throaty I like it..
good luck
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 AM

Hey everyone... Had a deal I couldn't pass up. Got a K&N FIPK for $177 yesterday. Got it installed and so far I love it. It does what it claims and I have no regrets. I've tossed it around on what kind of intake to go for, and well... this just kept coming to the front of the list. Here's some pics. I'll need some zip ties to clean up a coule of things, but you get the idea.

Here's the vid to watch the gauges and listen to the new sound....
How is it effecting you at the pump?

thx
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by doctorcarta
How is it effecting you at the pump?

thx

It's really hard to tell because of the time of the year it is. It's just now warming up so in the past when it was colder (stock intake) I would start my truck and let it warm up for 5-10 minutes. When it was -20 below it would be 15 minutes most of the time. You might think that isn't much, but think about how long it's sitting there idleing during a week. Say average 10 minutes every morning itself is almost an hour of the truck running and not going anywhere.

But now that it's warmer I can start it and go, more often. But trying to take all of that into account I think I can still tell a difference. Yesterday I just filled up with about an 1/8th of a tank left and I was sitting at over 220 miles. In the past several months of having this it's never been over 200.

All in all, I'm still happy I did it. A lot of people may think otherwise and that's cool. I'm not slamming them at all because I like all the info and opinions on here. That's how people learn. But still, I love it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM

That sound kinda reminds me of when i had the TRD exhaust first installed.. real throaty i dig it.I love my TRD exhaust...
My K&N just arrived today. I was on the fence about it and the TT but i think i'm going to keep it.Locally all the shops have all the crap to maintain it. so this weekend when i have lotsa light i'll start early i'll install it. I'm also going to print your pics to serve as an aid to installation.. hope you dont mind!

Quick Reply: New K&N Kit Installed (Pics & Vid)