Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Improved ANDY MOD - Real TRAC OFF Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think removing the relay is doing any harm. Just be aware that your truck will handle differently (which it sounds like you are aware of ) with the TRAC VSC and ABS disabled. I actually think the truck stops a bit faster with ABS disabled, but for some reason I just don't feel as safe with it not enabled (for wet/snowy situations)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Beto,
Good work. That said, I'm still very pleased with my old-skool 'AndyMod'. I take the truck on the beach at least a dozen times during the year - no issues.

Andreas - the 'Andy' of 'AndyMod'........
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks, nice to know the original "Andy" wasn't put off by this mod. I just like ABS, and as I said previously, my manual Tacoma would try and stall out and slide with all 4 tires locked if you touched the brakes on ice in 4WD with no ABS.

I just got to really check it out today in the first real snow fall of the year. The VSC isn't all evil, it can actually be kinda neat. That being said, if I had to choose between VSC all the time and no VSC, I'd still pick no VSC.

The worst is still turning from a stop - it takes forever to get going and can be annoying and dangerous. Maybe mine needs a zero-point calibration as it takes out my throttle on dry pavement with no hint of wheel spin. I've found that on dry pavement I just leave my VSC off, my TRAC on and ABS on. In the snow, I flip the VSC on and off as needed. When it's really slippery (like 6 inches of snow on the ground), I wouldn't be able to accelerate any faster in a straight line with the VSC off, so I just leave it on and mash the pedal to the floor. It still sucks on corners.

The VSC actually does a good job of skid control with the individual braking when you are taking corners a little too hot - something no driver can simulate with only one brake pedal. Just don't hope to accelerate through a turn in a 4 wheel drift.

Today, I never really found the need to notch it up to stage 2 and take out the TRAC system, that one actually does seem to help get you going in deep snow.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beto

PS - No one has a solution to upload the PDF files? The tech write up "staging area" seems to be closed down.

I want to remove them from my web server ASAP - so any ideas?
I can host it for you if you want. I'm not really setup with an ftp user for you or anything but I could put it up for now if you want. Even just until something further is decided....?

My site is a piece of crap, but hey it'd at least be hosted somewhere else.

www.desertcruzer.com

Lemme know.

-Ferg-
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Cool Bagel Mod - ok to wire normally open?

Greetings.

After looking at the schematic it occured to me that I could wire it such that the de-energized circuit would give me the "normal" configuration that I'd be using most of the time, namely VSC Off. It would have the advantage of being a passive mod, electrically speaking, and would probably increase the lifespan of the components. All I'd do would be reverse the harness and ground NC and NO connections, and leave the wiring for the switch(s) as shown.

Would that work?

Thanks,
Capt. Willy
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Also, there is a real
risk of killing your ECU(s) if you do something wrong.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM

Awesome mod!! I compeleted it tonight, and it works great! Good instructions and good diagrams. It could use some pics to take out some of the uneasiness, and I don't recommend this for those of us with Dyslexia (kicked my butt on hooking up the harness side vs. ECU side. It took me four times to get it right). Besides that, it was an easy mod that will greatly help during the winter months. Thank you everyone that helped put this together!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Andy Mod 2.0 not working correctly on 01 4runner.

I completed the Andy Mod 2.0 where you clip the V18-3 wire and install a switch. I figured I wouldn't mind the restart. Is there some kind of differencebetween the 02 and the 01 wiring? I found a problem with this mod on my 4runner. After leaving the VSC/trac off for a while, the check engine light came on as well and a restart would not turn the VSC/TRAC back on or reset the check engine light. I now have to disconnect the battery to reset everything. Maybe I missed something in a thread? Anyhow, I'm ready to do the bagel mod if need be. Nice to be able to turn off my VSC and TRAC independantly of each other. If any of you have the PDF's for the wiring diagrams, I could sure use them. Let me know, and I could provide my e mail address.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skysailor68
I completed the Andy Mod 2.0 where you clip the V18-3 wire and install a switch. I figured I wouldn't mind the restart. Is there some kind of differencebetween the 02 and the 01 wiring? I found a problem with this mod on my 4runner. After leaving the VSC/trac off for a while, the check engine light came on as well and a restart would not turn the VSC/TRAC back on or reset the check engine light. I now have to disconnect the battery to reset everything. Maybe I missed something in a thread?
Was the wire you snipped, red with a black tracer? And you did cut the wire in half correct? In order to extend it a couple extra feet to run the wire thru an on/off toggle switch right?

Wiring between 01-02 4Runners should be the same. I've had guys tell me they did this mod on their '01s and was just as described for '02 owners. Here's the write up again: Click Me

By doing the Andymod 2.0, all you are doing is simplying breaking current thru the wire when you flip the switch to the OFF position. Once the current is broken, both the VSC/TRAC lights appear on the dash. Once they are both deactivated, flip the switch back to the ON position. This will not turn them back ON, but when ever you get ready to turn your truck off, as soon as you restart it, both systems will be back online.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Yes, it was the red wire with a black tracer from terminal V18-3. I opened the PDF of the terminal diagram and I did realize that the view was not described accurately(and saw the other posts noting that too). The switch does work by killing the VSC and turning it back on by flipping the switch on and quickly cutting the ign. on and off. The problem is that, of the VSC is left off(in 2WD mode) and driven for any significant distance, the CEL will come on and either the battery has to be disconnected or the vehicle has to remain shut off overnight to reset the CEL.
I am now going to attempt to do the bagel mod with a small modification to the design. I am going to use a 4PDT relay instead of 4 separate SPDT relays. I found a link in somewhere else in yotatech forums for a complete 4runner factory service manual for free, complete with wiring diagrams for the entire vehicle. Here's the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/34004224...6.2002.SIL.rar
I found something else in the VSC ECU wiring diagram fora separate trac switch that may be worth looking into. It's a factory installed switch connected to the CSW V18-26 terminal on that is only on 2WD models. I'm going to check into it and see if this terminal(if present on 4WD) could be wired to a switch and put into use for a TRAC only disable.
Tony
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 PM

For anyone who wants it, click on this link for a 98 thru 2002 factory service manual with complete wiring diagrams.
http://rapidshare.com/files/34004224...6.2002.SIL.rar
Look at terminal CSW V18-26 on the VSC ECU wiring diagram. It's for a TRAC disable switch on 2WD models. I'm going to look into it and see if that terminal is present on a 4WD VSC ECU and see if it can be connencted to a switch for a separate TRAC disable switch. More to come when I find out.........

BTW to be able to download the service manual, you need to have a bit torrent program on your computer. Just google "u torrent". It's the one I use and always get great results from it.

Tony
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Has anyone tried using a normally closed momentary switch instead? This is what I'm thinking, start truck, push said momentary button(vsv and trac disabled), drive and upon restart the system is back to normal. I was primary thinking of my wife, I would hate to accidentally leave the rocker switch off and the next time she drives it everything is disabled.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hambob
Has anyone tried using a normally closed momentary switch instead? This is what I'm thinking, start truck, push said momentary button(vsv and trac disabled), drive and upon restart the system is back to normal. I was primary thinking of my wife, I would hate to accidentally leave the rocker switch off and the next time she drives it everything is disabled.
That should work fine.

Andreas
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM

Momentary switch will work fine, but you'll need to hold it down for 5 or 10 seconds until you see both the VSC and TRAC lights come on.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the response. This was the enlightenment I needed.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Andy Mod Complete, But Noisy Start-Up in 4 Low?

I just bought a 2002 4Runner. Completed the "Andy Mod 2.0" because it was the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. Now though it is much, much better! Thanks for the info on that, it made a HUGE difference.
My question is when I put it in 4 Low (center diff locked OR unlocked) and start from a stop it sounds as if the Traction Control or possibly ABS System(s) are engaging? However, there is no loss of power (As in 4 High prior to the Andy mod) just the noise of one of the systems engaging?? Once the truck is in motion no problems at all...
Any thoughts would be great! Thank you in advance.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Nice instructions

Hi Guys
I just did the Bagel Mod. Great instructions Beto! It works just like it says. I can deactivate the VSC when I want on the fly with a flip of the switch and reactivate it when I want without stopping or shuting down.

Thanks for all the work you did to figure this out Rob.

Here is the main harness I built for the VCS, I made a one relay harness for the ECU.

Name:  VSCwiring2.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  49.9 KB

Last edited by Cap098; 12-21-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

just wanted to say thank you to Beto for the information for this mod. it works great! for more ease of use for this mod rather than an another switch to my consul i tapped the ECT button to trigger the VSC off relays. so now when ect is on vsc is off. thank you again BETO!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Uh oh...

4runner newb here (02 SR5 V6 4wd Auto). I've had it about 2 weeks, absolutely loving it coming from an 05 Honda Element. I'm pretty handy, but not an electrical engineer. I've done plenty of wiring (car stereos, aux lights, interior leds, etc.). I triple checked everything and as far as I can tell I wired everything up as instructed. When I went to start everything up, the 4wd lights were flashing, center diff light illuminated solid, and the VSC light was on. When I flip the switch, it triggers the TRAC light as well. I for the life of me can't figure out where I went wrong. I put made some little jumpers to put it back to stock and it's working like normal, but I'd really like to actually have this working properly. I did use a lighted toggle switch as that's what I had laying around and I tapped 12v power from the ACC position with an Busman Add-A-Fuse circuit. Any thoughts on where I went wrong? I did take some pics of the plugs along the way that might be helpful for someone in the future to make a fancy write up. I'm hesitant to post them until I get everything working correctly.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:30 AM

In the for what it's worth category, I redid my wiring today and used some different set of identical relays (on the first job I had to buy a couple from different places cause no one had 4 in stock). I think my problem was a bad ground. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks for all your work to figure out this mod!

Quick Reply: New Improved ANDY MOD - Real TRAC OFF Switch