Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help in who makes best CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noneckrex
anyone know where i can find a good video on replacing cv axles for a 3rd gen 4runner? I have heard it is not as hard as it seems but still it would be nice to have a template to go off of. also... for any of you on here that might be military.... i checked on post at the auto repair store and cv axles were only 150 installed... so check out yours if you have one and if this applies to you.
if you were closer i'd say just come on over and we will change it out.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noneckrex
anyone know where i can find a good video on replacing cv axles for a 3rd gen 4runner? I have heard it is not as hard as it seems but still it would be nice to have a template to go off of. also... for any of you on here that might be military.... i checked on post at the auto repair store and cv axles were only 150 installed... so check out yours if you have one and if this applies to you.
I just bought my CV joint for the passenger side yesterday and will be putting it on along with the 04 tundra front brake swap. I plan on doing video of both at the same time. The CV's are made by GSP out of China and got them from Advanced auto for $76 out the door with lifetime warr on it including the rubber boots. They are brand new and the replacements will be brand new aswell. They say 174 lbs on torque if that helps. Will be doing this when i get my brake rotors and pads shipped in.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Anyone have any experience with O'Reilly's CV's? They are $70 for new same as Advanced with a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J'S LTD 4RNR
Anyone have any experience with O'Reilly's CV's? They are $70 for new same as Advanced with a lifetime warranty as well.
I was going to get oreillys but it was going to take 5 days to get two, and advanced had them in stock..... i chose advanced due to the ability to easily find a replacement when they broke
Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ISFast
I just bought my CV joint for the passenger side yesterday and will be putting it on along with the 04 tundra front brake swap. I plan on doing video of both at the same time. The CV's are made by GSP out of China and got them from Advanced auto for $76 out the door with lifetime warr on it including the rubber boots. They are brand new and the replacements will be brand new aswell. They say 174 lbs on torque if that helps. Will be doing this when i get my brake rotors and pads shipped in.
you going to post your video once your done? that would be extremely helpful.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by J'S LTD 4RNR
I have been less and less likely to get parts from O'Reilly. I put two new CV Axles on and the pass. side broke and the drivers side boot tore the first time out in 4wd with them. I got a refund since I had to replace it down in GA and they did not have one in stock, I went with a GSP axle from Advance. Soon after I replaced the drivers side with another GSP. The GSP have held up, however the inner boots on both sides have not, and that's with a 1" diff drop installed. I will be swapping out the GSP axles for a new set and will be installing Rockford CV's DURABOOT made from thermoplastics. I have already ordered and received them. They are damn near indistructable it seems. I will put the new Rockford boots on the new axles and hopefully that will resolve my issues.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have found that the parts store CV axles are made with cheap steel that is poorly heat treated. True, they have a lifetime replacement but it really sucks when the axle stub breaks off inside the front diff intermediate shaft. This is a huge pain to get out. We have had to drill, tap and extract. Not something to do on the trail. We do have a system now after breaking a couple.

For me? I'll use OE rebuilds.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

I just bought 2 Duralast CV's and have already installed the passenger side. EXTREMELY easy. Wish i would have taken video or taken pictures for yall who need some help. Feel free to pm if you do... just one new mechanic to another.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM

damaged cvs from online supplier

Yo, figured I'd chime in this thread instead of starting my own:
I ordered a cv half shaft from an online parts store, it arrived damaged, they sent out another one, and it arrived damaged too. Now I have 2 slightly (?) damaged cv's that I am thinking about throwing in my rig, because, why not, they are essentially free.

Anyone have any opinion on how smart / easy it will be to fix up the bent flanges and throw them on ? The one might be easier than the other, it has just one bend, one is pretty mangled!!!