Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mysterious antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, the same exact thing happened to me yesterday. I have been looking all over the place to try and find the leak. Coolant leak dripping down the bellhousing. I have tried looking at the hoses attached to the rear of the engine but am having a tough time. I have read a few posts that say it could be the water pump leaking down the oil pan flange and then down the bellhousing. the amount of coolant leaking from my car doesn't seem like it could be an external head gasket leak, about 1/2 a gallon over 12 hrs engine off. Really hope it isn't the wp. good luck on the search, I'll let you know if find the source of my leak.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My leak is coming from the top left side of the tranny way above the oil pan.
I wish it were the water pump!!
At least I'd know I'm doing the timing belt, tension pully and the pump and could just get started already.
I'm going out there to look at the origination of the leak in a few minutes and will report back.
Kenny S
Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Well,.....after another good look with a mirror and flashlight.
Still baffled!
I ran my finger along the bottom of the foam gasket of the intake valley plate and it's dry.
If the coolant were filling the valley and draining back , it would run down the passenger side because of the shape of the valley plate.
The lowest point of that plate is off on the passenger side.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Me too, I spent another half an hour looking around and have still yet to find where it is coming from. The majority of the coolant is leaking down the passenger side but there is some coolant leaking down the drivers side as well. I can't get my hand into feel the foam around the trough but would that still leak if there was no pressure in the system? I have opened the radiator cap and it is still leaking. Rechecked all the hoses and connections in the back and all appear dry checked around the tb as well, nothing. I am starting to get slightly worried and wondering what I should do next.

Last edited by webe0358; 03-09-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 3VZE at about 230,000. The motor had slowly been having the freeze out plugs going one after the other at about one every 6 months. I knew it was just a question of when one of the ones in the bellhousing would go. Then I started seeing coolant from between the bellhousing and the motor. But when this was happening it was also leaking out the top as well at about the same spot. I hypothesised that the coolant must have been getting to the clutch assembly and was being slung (along with clutch dust and sludge from the coolant system) around the whole inside of the bellhousing. The crud buildup that you have their looks suspiciously similar to this. I am guessing that it is the week link in the bellhousing to engine mating, and that is why it is spurting out there. After my freeze out plugs were replaced, all leaks from this area went away. Unfortunately the trans had to be pulled for this. Just throwing my experience out there to see if it helps. Good Luck. Hope you track it down.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Now we are getting somewhere.......freeze out plugs inside the bellhousing!
I can barely make one of those out in the photos.
Does anyone have a photo of the back of a 99 V6 engine without the flywheel
on?
Sounds like the most logical culprit.
How was the transmission to R &R ?

Thanks, kenny S>
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Can't wait top see how much Toyota charges for a freeze out plug!
I'm betting 12.00 each!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Just called my local Yota dealer............6.50 each.
There are 11 on the engine total and 2 on the back of the engine.
I guess I'd rather pull the tranny than pull the intake........

Kenny S>
Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM

freeze out plug post link
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f16/...problem-58358/
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sharrack
Now we are getting somewhere.......freeze out plugs inside the bellhousing!
I can barely make one of those out in the photos.
Does anyone have a photo of the back of a 99 V6 engine without the flywheel
on?
Sounds like the most logical culprit.
How was the transmission to R &R ?

Thanks, kenny S>
Had to farm it out. Was winter and didn't feel like doing it in the snow.

Might be worth getting non-toyota OEM plugs if the replacements are aluminum as well like my stock ones were. The aluminum corrodes from the coolant and eventually spring leaks. Had mine replaced with brass ones which are supposed to hold up longer.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Any luck finding the culprit? I have had none and to add a little more confusion to the mix I went out this morning and the levels in both the radiator and overflow are at the same as they were yesterday when i topped them both off.... I dunno hopefully this weekend I will be able to spend a bit more time on it. Hope you have been able to find yours.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

I just noticed a simular leak on my 3.4 swaped truck but on the drivers side. Any updates on this one?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Lightbulb mysterious leak

has anyone been able to figure out the mystery leak? Because I am experiencing a similar issue with my chevy 350 block. Out of no where is just started pourin out antifreeze. and now a continuous drizzle....if anyone has suggestions or answers let it be known.ty
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM

Without a doubt.... The freeze out plugs on the back of the engine.
I added copper stop leak which stopped the leak but clogged the rad. Needed to swap a new koyo anyhow to prevent the strawberry milkshake from happening.
I also added 99 runner toyota antifreeze and distiller water to stop further corrosion and a new toyota radiator cap. I'll get to those plugs when I absolutely have to!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM

sharrack-> sorry about that leak location! one friend's 86 22r pickup had all freeze plugs go out on back of motor...we just pulled the motor to do other repairs). my 92 4runner 3vz -rebuilt with 20k miles- it had a funny leak develop: it started as an occasional drop or 2 on bottom of bellhousing, which i noticed during vehicle checks. then it went to more escaping- coolant burning on ex manifold, steam, etc. i tightened clamps & replaced hoses on back of engine. even tightened sensor housing(2 bolts for coolant manifold with sensors on top of intake on back of motor) the leak went away for awhile. after a couple of months- no problems. i recently started noticing coolant loss again, even saw small drip on front of motor, under p/s pump... which led me to THINK it was premature water pump failure! ??? i should have pressure tested it long ago! but results have indicated that the lower intake gasket(s) have failed, since i have leaks in both front rt and rear driver sides of engine... this is just weird. did anyone here have this type of problem crop up? if so- is it possible just loose intake fasteners? or failed gaskets after so soon? anyway- looks like a top engine tear down is in order. i'll photo the process if anyone is interested, and post pics. the sad part is that it's deer season, it's getting cold and the motor otherwise runs beautiful for what it is! oh well!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radiator pressure test kit
(or run the motor, hot engine makes looking for leaks difficult though)

UV leak dye
UV light

start hunting for source. UV dye will show up right away

http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-b4839...googlebase_18u

UV pak-lite
http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/search...ss=uv&n=394429

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 11-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM

cool links to tools- almost as good as beer n babes in bikinis i say! thx big_...!

anyway- i did the pressure test, uv trace and all... just wondered if failed intake gasket has happened to anyone. i am POSITIVE proper torque values were used on the engines' re-assembly. but mating surface(S) may or may not be proper? just wanna fix it and DONE. maybe something odd to look for, etc. any relation to this silly problem would be appreciated!

oh- no indicative issues of air/fuel mix or vacuum leaks are present.

Last edited by kooolr; 12-03-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM

sounds like the same issue im having.. i noticed a leak from behind the motor in my 93 v6 after towing alot of wieght with it... i then added some stuff from parts store to help stop it & it worked! however now its leaking in the front pass side now lol no water in oil so im good there... bought a new radiator after breaking the stock one, going to try adding some more stop leak stuff an see if i can slow down the front.. at this point in time, the truck isnt worth putting alot of money into so just going to use it as a trail rig until she goes.. anyone have better luck with one brand or another (leak additives ? )