Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Led headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Just look at cars that come with LED light from the factory. Generally each LED in the headlight has it's own projector and lens. You never see OEM LED headlights designed with reflector housings. (Acura MDX, Escalade, etc...)
Our Nissan Leaf has factory LED headlights and they are a simple reflector design, no projector.

This is most evident in the width of your output picture. Your output is rather narrow compared to a good HID projector.
I have not purchased LED headlights for my 4Runner yet, and that's partly due to some of the reasons you mentioned--the designs do not appear to be adequately heat-sinked and I figure if I wait another year, LEDs will only become brighter and more efficient.

Our LED Nissan Leaf has noticeably better headlights than the 4Runner, but the factory HIDs in our Acura TSX are noticeably wider and go farther than the LEDs on the Nissan Leaf. That said, LED technology will only get better.

Last edited by paddlenbike; 03-24-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Our Nissan Leaf has factory LED headlights and they are a simple reflector design, no projector.

I have not purchased LED headlights for my 4Runner yet, and that's partly due to some of the reasons you mentioned--the designs do not appear to be adequately heat-sinked and I figure if I wait another year, LEDs will only become brighter and more efficient.

Our LED Nissan Leaf has noticeably better headlights than the 4Runner, but the factory HIDs in our Acura TSX are noticeably wider and go farther than the LEDs on the Nissan Leaf. That said, LED technology will only get better.
I stand corrected

I guess my point is that LED, HID, and Halogen light sources all have very different properties. A headlight designed for a halogen light source will perform differently if it is changed to an LED or HID light source.

Optics are very complex. So whether it is a reflector or a projector, using a light source not intended for your headlight will result in something less than optimal... MOST of the time.

I think that most people would be best served by upgrading their factory wiring, or using a relay harness running off of the battery, and sticking with some nice halogen bulbs. Otherwise, if you must have something different (like me), doing a proper HID projector retrofit is probably the best upgrade for lighting today.

I do agree with you though; Automotive LED lighting is still very much in its infancy and will continue to get even better
Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I agree completely with what you said. One of my bigger pet-peeves right now is the increased popularity of HID bulbs in halogen housings. It used to be the Honda Civic guys were the worst offenders, but now it seems to be the Chevy pickups and Tahoes. The glare drives me insane.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased the CREE H4 LED Headlight Kit Light Bulbs Hi/Lo Beam 6000K 9003 HB2 1850W 277500LM. They are awesome but my 98 limited fog lights stopped working and when I turn the fog lights on the high beams come on. I tried a resistor but then the head light stop working all together. Not sure whats going on