Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just tried Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam F
Both of my vehicles (my 93 Accord with 313K miles) werent affected after I seafom'ed them, twice. They billowed smoke, but I diddnt notice any improvements.

Although, my snowblower could use a treatment. Where in the world would I suck up seafoam on a snowblower? It's a 3hp 2cycle Tecumseh motor.

Where does it suck air?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
guys,

as a suggestion for those of you who are about to change out your 02 sensors, keep them on, do the seafoam treatment, and then replace the gummed up 02 sensors w/ the new ones.

keep old ones just in case some other YT member in your area wants to do it too

bob
what about just removing the o2 sensor and unplugging the wires. that way the o2 sensor won't get all the crap that's going throught the exhaust. and if you unplug the wires, it should look like a bad o2 sensor to the ecu, which should make the ecu just go to it's set of pre programmed tables and run slightly rich.

mike
Old 01-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

I think what's making the O2 sensors go bad is not the reading but the actual crud getting on the sensors themselves...
Old 01-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
guys,

as a suggestion for those of you who are about to change out your 02 sensors, keep them on, do the seafoam treatment, and then replace the gummed up 02 sensors w/ the new ones.

keep old ones just in case some other YT member in your area wants to do it too

bob
I was gonna suggest the same thing....go to the junkyard and get a spare O2 you can swap in for the treatment. Pour in the seafoam like it is going out of style and then swap the good sensor back in. Who cares if the engine runs like crap during the treatment.

Other way would be to remove the O2 sensor make a temporary cap plate that goes bolts in place during the treatment (I think someone was suggesting this). Then leave the O2 sensor unplugged and reinstall when done the treatment. Lastly the engine may run with nothing in the hole (ie an open hole where the O2 sensor was) but it would be dangerous due to the heat coming out of there (hole points up towards the floorpan...might melt your carpet or start a fire).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-22-2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I think what's making the O2 sensors go bad is not the reading but the actual crud getting on the sensors themselves...
Which is why he suggested taking them out...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... I misread his post
Old 01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

I just got a new O2 sensor about a month ago-hate to ruin it.....anyone know if you could clean it after running seafoam, as opposed to trying to run with it out? Some kind of electrical contact cleaner? Or maybe even a little more seafoam applied directly to it? I need to do a tune up bad, but its so freaking cold.....
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM

I cleaned my O2 sensor with electronics cleaner. You can get it at any auto parts, just remove the sensor and spray it with the cleaner, just make sure to not touch the sensor itself. The cleaner does not leave a residue and I have had no problems.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Bamachem mentioned something about just dipping his O2 sensor in Seafoam itself. I'm assuming nothing bad has happened from it...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Bamachem mentioned something about just dipping his O2 sensor in Seafoam itself. I'm assuming nothing bad has happened from it...
might work for his O2 sensor, but what about his 4R's O2 sensor
Old 01-24-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin444
Where does it suck air?

Havent torn down the snowblower yet...but simmilar ones I've seen just have a normal air filter with no vaccum lines
Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Late comer to the thread

Ok, so I've been following this and the other thread regarding Seafoam....and I had to try it. Luckily I was getting ready to replace my spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and Cap and rotor..(Trucks 3 weeks new to me, actually a '91 3.0l 4x4, and in need of some TLC)

So long post short...My neighbor called the city on me for code comlpiance due to the amount of exhaust smoke that came off of my truck. They showed up within minutes of me completing my test drive after the treatment and asked me to start my truck up to see if they needed to call someone regarding EPA to see what chemicals I was using. My Yota rose to the challenge and started up without hesitation, no exhaust fumes or smoke, and she sat there idling like a kitten, something she hasn't done since I brought here home.

SeaFoam is the SH_T as far as I'm concerned, you all sold me on it, now I preach it.

By the way, this wasn't the first time Code COmpliance had been called on me, My neighbors hate to see a young man doing well for himself through hard work, sweat, and tears.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

I hate neighbors like that.
My neighbor called the city about my truck being parked on his side of the street. Next thing you know I have a parking ticket.

Not that I'm mad at the city because I was definitely in violation of what they cited me for... I just think the scumbag should have come talked to me at the very least to see if there's something we could work out
Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
Ok, so I've been following this and the other thread regarding Seafoam....and I had to try it. Luckily I was getting ready to replace my spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and Cap and rotor..(Trucks 3 weeks new to me, actually a '91 3.0l 4x4, and in need of some TLC)

So long post short...My neighbor called the city on me for code comlpiance due to the amount of exhaust smoke that came off of my truck. They showed up within minutes of me completing my test drive after the treatment and asked me to start my truck up to see if they needed to call someone regarding EPA to see what chemicals I was using. My Yota rose to the challenge and started up without hesitation, no exhaust fumes or smoke, and she sat there idling like a kitten, something she hasn't done since I brought here home.

SeaFoam is the SH_T as far as I'm concerned, you all sold me on it, now I preach it.

By the way, this wasn't the first time Code COmpliance had been called on me, My neighbors hate to see a young man doing well for himself through hard work, sweat, and tears.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-26-2005, 03:52 PM

I need to move

Tacoma Dude, my neighbors have called on my front grass(I'm not in any homeowners assoc.), number of cars parked out front (everyone was still over on a weekend, and we didn't even block the road or a driveway). One day I went out after shaving my goatee off and was working on the yard and my neighbor proceeded to come over and welcome me to the neighborhood. He informed me that teh previous owner was a young punk and that he was glad to see someone move in and take care of the place. What he didn't know is that I was that "young punk" in question. I pointed that out and am yet to even have him glance in my direction.

-=Morphine=-

PS My Yota is idling and starting smoother after the SeaFoam!

Last edited by Morphine; 01-26-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Morphine
Tacoma Dude, my neighbors have called on my front grass(I'm not in any homeowners assoc.), number of cars parked out front (everyone was still over on a weekend, and we didn't even block the road or a driveway). One day I went out after shaving my goatee off and was working on the yard and my neighbor proceeded to come over and welcome me to the neighborhood. He informed me that teh previous owner was a young punk and that he was glad to see someone move in and take care of the place. What he didn't know is that I was that "young punk" in question. I pointed that out and am yet to even have him glance in my direction.

-=Morphine=-

PS My Yota is idling and starting smoother after the SeaFoam!

now dump some into the gas and oil.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 AM

I did. I poured the remaining 2/3rd's into my gas right away. How much should I add to the oil? I'm pushing the 3.0 v6 3vze engine. Next question, after adding to my oil how soon afterwards should I change my oil? I just changed the oil about 4-5 days ago, maybe only 250 miles on it.

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM

well, i seafoam'ed and my cel light came on after about 2 months. will fix that, but the worst thing is that my gas mileage has gone to the shi**er. i mean it is bad, i get about 180-200 mpg, city, when i easily made 250-60. my highway went from around 300 to about 220. so basically, i'm pretty unhappy, but for all my brothers who have used it successfully, i can't hate. i've done it twice, put it in the tank, haven't done the oil, but maybe need to change the plugs. dd
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 PM

I have used three cans of Seafoam on my three liter and awesome results have developed.

I used one can on a tank full of gas then ran it until it empty.

I ran two more tank fulls of gas without Seafoam.

On the third tank full, I poured in two cans of Seafoam.

Results?

251.5 miles out of a tank full as opposed to the 218-230 I was getting before.

Out of those 250 miles, I calculated to have used 4HI and 4LOW for about a good twenty miles. Anyone knows 4WD is notorious for gas guzzling.

I am hoping this will last a good number of gas tanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirk diggler
well, i seafoam'ed and my cel light came on after about 2 months. will fix that, but the worst thing is that my gas mileage has gone to the shi**er. i mean it is bad, i get about 180-200 mpg, city, when i easily made 250-60. my highway went from around 300 to about 220. so basically, i'm pretty unhappy, but for all my brothers who have used it successfully, i can't hate. i've done it twice, put it in the tank, haven't done the oil, but maybe need to change the plugs. dd
You definitely want to clean out anything that might have been affected. Another thing to consider is whether or not you finished the treating... from what I remember reading it'd be best to continue running treatments until your truck doesn't smoke anymore.

My runner, for example, has nearly 20 years of crud in there. The first treatment I did I barely had any smoke. My most recent treatment was the 3rd or 4th and that was the most smoke yet.

Quick Reply: Just tried Seafoam