Old 02-20-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill post them tommorow im current in rodhe island ill be home tommorow chris
Old 02-21-2003, 11:00 PM

scanner hit the crapper its gonna be awhile
Old 02-23-2003, 05:21 PM

Do the manuals list what the buttons on the left side of the dash are for? One is for the AC Power, one for the center differential, but there are two more. On mine, they aren't actual buttons, just a piece of plastic where a button to do something could be put.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Good Times:

Thanks for the help. I replaced the radio on the weekend. I had a kit, although it was the Metra RAV4 2000 kit. Needs some modification, but it fits like a glove now.

Now what I'ld like to know is what are the small connectors for on the back of the stock head unit. Does the runner come with a standard harness, and they just leave bits out for the SR5. If that's true, maybe its pre-wired for a disc-changer. If so, where is the 'stock' position for the changer? Next to the rear right wheel-well?

Mark
Old 02-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

darkstar:

not sure what the other wiring harness is too... I've wondered on that one but I forgot my manual at a friends place who's using it hopefully I can pick it up this week so I can use it! hehe)

As for the cd changer, it's located in your glove compartment... check in there, you'll find a cubby compartment on the top of the in side... open the door and the changer goes in there.

to remove that piece i believe from what I remember, there are 2 screws on each side of that door to remove that entire box, they are pointed downward at a 45 degress. I believe it's a 10mm in there, if not a philips. Try looking in that area. I'll prob get a changer soon so, hopefully we'll be able to figure out what will fit in there!

btw, did u get a antenna harness or just left out the other antenna? since toyota's are using the integrated stuff thought i'd ask. I left out the smaller antenna connector thus loosing alot of strength and AM (not that I listen, only in traffic tho ).

Lance
Old 02-24-2003, 08:06 AM

Good Times:

Thanks for the info. I just left the second small harness floating. Did the same on the 2k Celica as well. I don't seem to have lost any signal strength tho. The real hit to my signal strength on the Celica came when using the S2K antenna instead of the whip.

I noticed my Sony head is really sensitive, maybe the stock head is not very sensitive, and needs two antenna feeds.

Mark
Old 02-24-2003, 10:38 AM

dark star you have any picturs, how much alterations to the rav 4 kit did you need to do.

Good times i pmed you

got my new scanner ill have all the pictures up in a few hours. CHris
Old 02-24-2003, 02:30 PM

impulsebrklyn

I'll email the pictures and notes to you tomorrow. Basically, Drill 1 hole in the standard brackets, file off the clips on the pocket and a few others. Not big alterations.

Mark
Old 02-24-2003, 02:57 PM

Great Info. I am going to have to get those books. I want to put a changer in, but haven't decided on switching out the deck yet. Glove box would be perfect, better than center console with the 115 in there.

I talked to the dealer about putting an aftermarket cd changer in and they were concerned with how it gets wired and that electrical noise may effect some of the 4runner functions. Anybody have any concerns or issues like that?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

doublepump:

I talked to the dealer about putting an aftermarket cd changer in and they were concerned with how it gets wired and that electrical noise may effect some of the 4runner functions. Anybody have any concerns or issues like that?
That's a full of crap!

we've all seem aftermarket changers in cars already so you should know they're talking out of their @ss.

The stock cd changer that comes w/ the 4runner (option) is in the glove box - sort of. If you look inside the glove box, if you don't have a changer, you'll notice a cubby box on top to place stuff. That's where the stock changer is located. Wiring the stock cd changer - i believe the wiring harness is already there so long as u get the toyota changer... but if you're adding a aftermarket changer w/ the fm modulator then you're gonna have to wire up the changer yourself. Basically like changing the head unit - to get to the radio but you also have to remove the glove box entirely. I belive removing that piece is simple... haven't done it yet and don't know about a changer so I won't be looking into it for now .

As for the nav system, that stuff is located in the rear passenger panel by the quarter panel. In there, it also houses the jbl 8" sub and their power amp for it. So if you plan to install something there, I'd say this might be a good place to hide it!

You can install the cd changer back there as well if you wish or any other audio equipment
Old 02-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Thanks Good Times. That's what I figured, but I never installed a stereo in a car with so many automatic controls. The dealer just wanted me to have them do it and not take it to Good Guys. The owner's manual also warns about noise when installing aftermarket things, like CB's, so I was a little concerned.

No modulator for me, and the stock toyota changers are pricey and not brands I am familiar with. Going to get an Alpine changer with an adapter to fit the existing deck, or get a new deck. The stock stereo does not sound great, and wondering if speakers or the deck would provide the better sound. Probably have to go the distance and do all of it.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Doublepump
The stock stereo does not sound great, and wondering if speakers or the deck would provide the better sound. Probably have to go the distance and do all of it.
I just had an Alpine 7894 installed in my 2003 4Runner this weekend and left the factory speakers in. I think they sound pretty good. I'd recommend changing only the head unit and trying it first before you spend the cash on new speakers.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Good Times

The stock cd changer that comes w/ the 4runner (option) is in the glove box - sort of. If you look inside the glove box, if you don't have a changer, you'll notice a cubby box on top to place stuff. That's where the stock changer is located.
It depends which one you get. My runner has a 6 CD in-dash system. I still have the place at the top inside my glove box.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:24 AM

impulsebrklyn:

Here is the Metra Rav4 kit (99-8202) with harness and radio:

http://www.geocities.com/mark_vansto...a_Rav4_kit.jpg

The frame mounts and modification

http://www.geocities.com/mark_vanstone/Mounting.jpg

Cutting the pockets

http://www.geocities.com/mark_vanstone/Cut_pocket.jpg

Mark
Old 02-25-2003, 09:12 AM

links dont work
Old 02-25-2003, 09:30 AM

impulsebrklyn:

They work for me what was the error? 404?

PM me and I will email them to you.

Mark
Old 02-25-2003, 10:46 AM

Wow, I didn't even know that compartment was there !

I don't know about the stock head, but I don't think the 6dsc sounds all that great either.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:33 AM

ok i see it now wasnt working before i got some pdf for you guys

For 2003 4runner

Audio Visual System including navigation its 3.5m
http://www.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4ru...l%20system.pdf

if you notice in the above pdf there is a discription for a rear tv camera for the rearview mirror thought that was interesting

Rear and Front door panel assembly 1m
http://www.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4ru...20assembly.pdf

Instrument panel, center panel and complete dash 2.9m
http://www.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4ru...nd%20meter.pdf

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 02-25-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:25 PM

impulsebrklyn:

Wow. You might as well scan the whole lot while you're at it! Ha ha.

Seriously though, thanks very much, that is very helpful.

Mark
Old 02-25-2003, 01:31 PM

that covered all of my main interests I take about just about the whole interior on my cars to do stuff. so I read them as i scanned, plus my new scanner takes like 5 secs a page super fast.

ANyone need anything else. ??

Quick Reply: Just got 2003 4runner manuals if anyone needs anything