Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'll never own another toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy_horse3030
I got a 1998 Tacoma with the 2.7, and it has been nothing but problems. Let me explain:

When I got it, starter went out. I didn't think much of that, for I know starters don't last forever.

Few months later the harmonic balancer came loose and that caused a 400 dollar dent in my wallet.

Several months after that, o2 sensor bugged out. Once again, I didn't think to much of it. 02 sensors have a operating life as well.

Lets mosey on about a year when this jewel had the clutch to wear out. I got a new clutch put in. I know clutches go out, but at 90,000 I found that kind of ridiculous.

Not 3 days after the clutch repair, the slave cylinder went out. (Son of a...)

Get that repaired, and not 6 months after that I started having shifting problems. After about another 6 months I completely lost 2nd and 4th.

Got a new transmission (which was cheaper than a rebuild). I thought a lot of this one, this one really chapped my behind.

And now to present day, where she is sitting in a shop with a bunch of guys trying to figure out why I can't get over several hundred RPMS without shaking, shutter, and losing power. Its been with Toyota 2 days and they are still having problem finding what the deal is.

I understand we all have lemons....but I got a ton of friends with newer toyotas that stay in the shop more than on the road.

I will salute the older Toyotas, mostly the 22r trucks. Other than that, they have lost my respect.

Oh yeah, before a bunch of folks start yelling at me for blasphemy because I spoke bad on a toyota website, it is just my opinion. Actually I would love to hear folks change my mind by giving me success stories.

Now I will end my venting session.

Thanks folks!

I can't blame you after all of that!!

Good luck here. 130,000 miles plus with the last 50k being put on by me. No problems at all. No problems on my old tacoma. Had it until 100k miles. The taco saw more rough miles of baja than I could imagine and my 4runner gets a lot of abuse too. Nothing wroing yet?
I've flat towed out two friends land rovers so far.
Sounds like you got a lemon? Good luck if you try yotas again. Your chances of getting a good one are better than with any other manufacturer... In my opinion.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im sure not every single toyota is going to be as reliable as the last.
people beat up their cars. its a fact. thats why its good to either buy new, or buy cheap because either way, you are safe. say you buy a cheap beater, if it brakes, you have the satisfaction knowing you didnt give your arm for that truck.

10 years old, yeah this is around the time problems will start. not the other 9 thus showing it has held up alright..

i would say keep it because its like you have already spent so much on it that you wont get back if you sell it. plus its like this, if you fixed it before, most likely you wont have to fix it for a long time...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 AM

My first Toyota was a 98 regular cab 2.7 5 speed 4x4. I bought it with 31K on it and sold it with $138K. I never had any clutch issues, O2 issues or anything else that didn't get fixed. The only thing I couldn't find was if I drove on the highway at 80+ mph and came to a stop at an off ramp it would run very rough at idle but if it sat and cooled down it was like nothing was wrong. I replaced the IACV and speed sensor and I can't tell if that fixed it but I never drove that fast after that. I also went from stock 31's and 4.10 to 33's and 4.56. Wonderful truck, excellent wheeling vehicle.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM

i think toyota died in 1995 pickup wise...my trucks 16 years old and its better shape then anything new....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM

man i hate to hear that crazy horse. all i can give ya is i am trading in my 97 SR5 for a 2000 limited today. the 97 has 277K on it and still runs like a top. i hope i have the same luck with the 2000. and i hope the brains at your local dealer can figure out what's up with your rig.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys. Ya'll have definatly made me feel a little better about the situation.

I called Toyota today and they said my truck was ready. They claimed it had a bad spark plug wire I didnt see. They also claimed that a clogged injector was causing bad gas mileage. (which i dont understand, usually something restricted cuts off the flow instead of increasing gas usage, but I am no mechanic!!)

Once again, thanks guys for your comments! Maybe my poor truck will get keep me on the road until I can make up my mind on what to get next.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will only buy JAPANESE built Toyotas. They just don't build them the same over here.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Mine has been so so in reliability. I bought my 98 Limited 2 years ago with 59K. Here are problems that had to be addresses or still need to be.

1. Bad alternator
2. leaked water inside when rained
3. factory cd player crapped out
4. pop in front suspension
5. rough idle
6. loss of power and CEL light on highway
7. rock hard brake pedal when truck is cold
8. power door locks quit
it is currently in the shop for 5 and 6. it has been there for over a week now. sigh and i am only at 76k miles and still making payments...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icerunner
FYI 4cyl engines do no last as long as 6cyl and 6 cyl no not last as long a s 8 CYL engines . Think about it 4 cyl engines have to Rev higher to get the car to move...and like wise 4 cyl engines don't last as long...
not always true. well, not true in the case of the 22r/22re. .
Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 PM

sounds like someone beat that truck to near death, traded it in for a new one, and let you deal with the problems, wow, sucks for you! Most toyotas (save for maybe the T-100) are damn good trucks, and you got the bad end of a teenager trying to look cool in his yota! I was that person at one time. I drove my 86 yota into hell and back, plus 2 years of high speed dessert racing and sold it for 2 grand (i had 2 grand in the motor and suspension easy) just because i knew it was about to take a on me again (it took 260,000 miles to wear a hole from the #3 cylinder water jacket into the combustion chamber, and that junked the whole head and block, cuz it pushed a valve into my block bore!!!). And to be honest i didn't think it was worth it to spend my time on it. Now i just got a new 88 and im planning on taking care of this one and holding on to it. Dont be scared, after you replace the few thangs that are worn out you will again have a toyota, The most reliable truck on earth (some think)....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM

1994 Toyota Pickup 330, XXX miles on it - Dad's No problems
1998 Camry 250,XXX miles on it -Sister's No problems
2001 Highladner 279,XXX miles on it - Mom's driven 120 mi everyday
1986 -4runner 139, XXX miles on it - Mine, good first vehicle to learn to work on cause there is always something to work on ha!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
CJM

I'm freaking hooked as well ....FYI 4cyl engines do no last as long as 6cyl and 6 cyl no not last as long a s 8 CYL engines . Think about it 4 cyl engines have to Rev higher to get the car to move...and like wise 4 cyl engines don't last as long...
That is a load if I ever read it.

An engines size and power output have nothing to do with longevity. Engine design and care have more than anything to do with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hes right that 4 cyl engines have to work harder to move than bigger engines, but the rest is load.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Look at all these cars that are known to go forever. Corollas, 22r trucks, the 2.2L Accords (any honda really), all 4 cylinder engines. The simplicity of these little motors seems to be what makes them so great.

As far as owning Toyota's are concerned, I have a 2002 Tundra, and thats about the newest I'll go with Toyota. Sorry to say, but I work at Toyota dealership, so I drive the new ones for a living, and the quality just isn't there anymore. Best case, look at he new Tundra next to a 1st gen, and you'll know. Especially the interiors, thats where the quality is slipping the most. The only exception here is the new 4Runners. I really like them, especially with the 4.0 V6. Very torquey motor, and the quality still seems to be there... for now.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

"Load" NO ...Common sense... YES

Originally Posted by CJM
That is a load if I ever read it.

An engines size and power output have nothing to do with longevity. Engine design and care have more than anything to do with it.
Engine design and care IS important.
yet I was trying to compaire APPLES to APPLES....

Let me spell it out what I was trying to say:
1) 4 cyl engines typically have to RPM higher on a consistant basis and work harder to push the the SAME vehicle WEIGHT....What does this mean? Due to the INCREASED REVOLUTIONS (or RPM's) over time ...the engine is simply worn out quicker(pistons, cylinder walls, valves bearings injectors ect)....This is the bottom line why engines with fewer cylinders will wear out quicker. For a given miliage...... 8 cylinder engine is better than 6 cylinder engine, and V6 is better than 4 cylinder engine.

it a known fact that a 4 cyl engine with 200K miles will have significantly more wear than a 6CYL engine with 200K miles . Of coarse given the fact that they were driven excactly the same and engines are of similar design.
Im not saying there are not some reliable 4cyl engines out there because there is of coarse......example the 22r/22re a great freaking engine... YET, if they made a similarly desgined 6 cyl, the 6cyl engine should last longer if placed in the same vehicle model.

Again all things being equal other than engine size, a 4cyl has to work harder to push the same weight than a 6 cyl engine...
there fore the engine will infact wear out quicker than its v6 counterpart.

Come on now, this is common knowlegde that has been known for over 50 years ....and you call it a "LOAD" ....?

Now an opposing view to this and if we want to split hairs even further one COULD say that because a larger engine has more parts (injectors, pistons valves, bearings ect) there is a increased chance for one of the parts to be defective thus causing an engine failure...?

Maybe that arguement could be made?

YET, at the end of the day, an engine that has seen a Billion revoulutions will have more wear than and engine with only 3/4 of a billion revoulutions.

over and out

Last edited by icerunner; 02-16-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but can only speak from personal experience - 93 w/ 3vze - 212000 miles... I've replaced the alternator, plug wires, O2 sensors... that's it besides routine maintenance. My brother had a 97 w/ the 4 cyl, 195,000 miles without the first problem.

Methinks you gots a lemon.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 AM
CJM

In THEORY your correct, but in common sense terms your not.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 AM

lol.....I work for an Insurance Coporation....so really..i know that Toyota holds their value. I could of bought a 2004 Jimmy ZR2 for 2000$ LESS....then what I paid for my 2000' 4Runner. Toyota just makes things better
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine design and care IS important.
yet I was trying to compaire APPLES to APPLES....

Let me spell it out what I was trying to say:
1) 4 cyl engines typically have to RPM higher on a consistant basis and work harder to push the the SAME vehicle WEIGHT....What does this mean? Due to the INCREASED REVOLUTIONS (or RPM's) over time ...the engine is simply worn out quicker(pistons, cylinder walls, valves bearings injectors ect)....This is the bottom line why engines with fewer cylinders will wear out quicker. For a given miliage...... 8 cylinder engine is better than 6 cylinder engine, and V6 is better than 4 cylinder engine.

it a known fact that a 4 cyl engine with 200K miles will have significantly more wear than a 6CYL engine with 200K miles . Of coarse given the fact that they were driven excactly the same and engines are of similar design.
Im not saying there are not some reliable 4cyl engines out there because there is of coarse......example the 22r/22re a great freaking engine... YET, if they made a similarly desgined 6 cyl, the 6cyl engine should last longer if placed in the same vehicle model.

Again all things being equal other than engine size, a 4cyl has to work harder to push the same weight than a 6 cyl engine...
there fore the engine will infact wear out quicker than its v6 counterpart.

Come on now, this is common knowlegde that has been known for over 50 years ....and you call it a "LOAD" ....?

Now an opposing view to this and if we want to split hairs even further one COULD say that because a larger engine has more parts (injectors, pistons valves, bearings ect) there is a increased chance for one of the parts to be defective thus causing an engine failure...?

Maybe that arguement could be made?

YET, at the end of the day, an engine that has seen a Billion revoulutions will have more wear than and engine with only 3/4 of a billion revoulutions.

over and out

I guess my truck is just an enigma then.

290k and running strong as hell, my brother's 3.0 V6 at half the mileage, not so much.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Sorry to hear everyone's bad experiances. From my experience owning a 22r, a 3.0L, and a 3.4L it is just the luck of the draw. I know I guy that mantains his 83 4x4 so well his 20r has never been rebuilt and it has 410K on it and still runs. My 3.0L required a lot of maintenance but still ran strong when I sold it with 246K. My 3.4L has 125K and I have never done anything to it other than timing belt, tune-ups, and a clutch at 122K.

Quick Reply: I'll never own another toyota