Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i think i bought my tires too big!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks man, i appreciate that big time! and your right, everyone on here that has aftermarket rims and tires, have them "too big." and so i went to 4wheel parts and they suggested a 2.5in front and rear spacer lift. so i bought that, and im putting it on on friday. ill post before and after pictures of my runner.

but thanks, i hate all the 2wd haters. i can do way more stuff with my 2wd runner than my buddy with his 2wd chevy any day. sure i cant tackle a mountain, but hell i can sure have some fun! anyway, people on here give me so much crap for wanting to upgrade my truck when its a 2wd, but hey just cause i have that doesnt mean i cant make my runner look awesome, and run better right?

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The amount of horse crap in this thread is astounding.

First of all, its your damn truck, so put what you want on it. Proper sized tires? I'm not running the proper sized tires on my truck, nor are most of the members here. Why the hell should this guy?

Second, a body lift is an EXCELLENT choice. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. A body lift is the ONLY non bracket style lift for IFS that allows more clearance for tires. None of these coil spacers or coils will allow you to clear bigger tires.

Put on a 1 or 2 inch body lift, and run the tires you want.

2wd trucks are sweet. I'd love to have one. It'd be on 33's and running LT. Don't let the morons make you feel bad for having a cool truck.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

I have a 2wd 4runner too. I love it. If I wanted a 4wd truck it sure would NOT be a 4runner. IFS sucks for off roading! And trying to make IFS trucks better offroaders is like putting lipstick on a pig.

If you want a 4wd 4runner you should get the 1st gen that came with a straight front.

Last edited by cox380; 04-16-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I still haven't figured out what you mean by spacer lift. I've never heard of a 2.5" body lift so I'm guessing you ordered a coilover spacer kit. That is not a simple install. There are lots of write ups on how to do it though. A spring compressor will be your friend.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cox380
I have a 2wd 4runner too. I love it. If I wanted a 4wd truck it sure would NOT be a 4runner. IFS sucks for off roading! And trying to make IFS trucks better offroaders is like putting lipstick on a pig.

If you want a 4wd 4runner you should get the 1st gen that came with a straight front.
No offense, but that's horse crap too.

My IFS runs just about everything in CO and UT just fine. I have very minimal modifications to the suspension, and no lift. It has run trails rated at an 8, and this summer will hopefully run a 9. It cannot do 10 rated trails. Neither can very many SAS trucks.

There are only a very small number of trails in the country that you can do in a SAS truck that you cannot do in an IFS truck. Not too many folks have the money or the balls to do those trails.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

My IFS runs just about everything in CO and UT just fine. I have very minimal modifications to the suspension, and no lift. It has run trails rated at an 8, and this summer will hopefully run a 9. It cannot do 10 rated trails. Neither can very many SAS trucks.

There are only a very small number of trails in the country that you can do in a SAS truck that you cannot do in an IFS truck. Not too many folks have the money or the balls to do those trails.
Keep preaching it, dude. There's a few who are listening...
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I AM ONE.. my ifs welded rear runner is gonna show those jeeps what up this summer
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Lockers are your friend. The biggest advantage I've seen with a SA vs IFS is strength. You can beat the crap out of a solid axle rig and it will still be aligned. My IFS was crooked after every trip out. IMO lockers will get you farther than articulation will. I've seen locked IFS trucks drive right past a SASed rig that had open diffs.

I get frustrated seeing people telling others to get an 84-85 Toyota strictly because they had a solid axle. To get anything bigger than 33 under those rigs and have flex you have to do basically the same fab work that a SAS takes. They need a new front spring hanger, shock hoops, hi-steer, IFS power steering box, rear hangers moved and the list goes on. For that much work I'd like to start with a truck that is not 25 years old. I can run the rubicon frontwards and backwards and drive home with the AC and cruise control on in my 94 Runner when I'm done.

To stay on topic make sure and get some good before pictures of your rig so you can post some before and after lift pics.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UKMyers
Lockers are your friend. The biggest advantage I've seen with a SA vs IFS is strength. You can beat the crap out of a solid axle rig and it will still be aligned. My IFS was crooked after every trip out. IMO lockers will get you farther than articulation will. I've seen locked IFS trucks drive right past a SASed rig that had open diffs.

I get frustrated seeing people telling others to get an 84-85 Toyota strictly because they had a solid axle. To get anything bigger than 33 under those rigs and have flex you have to do basically the same fab work that a SAS takes. They need a new front spring hanger, shock hoops, hi-steer, IFS power steering box, rear hangers moved and the list goes on. For that much work I'd like to start with a truck that is not 25 years old. I can run the rubicon frontwards and backwards and drive home with the AC and cruise control on in my 94 Runner when I'm done.

To stay on topic make sure and get some good before pictures of your rig so you can post some before and after lift pics.
Exactly.

You have to do as much or more work to a SA rig to get it to work at all than you do to an IFS truck.

Strength is a big one.

Most SAS trucks don't do that though. They run stock axles. You have stronger steering but I've seen those trucks break birfs with 33's. Not much stronger there.

Now, if you actually put some money into it, yeah, a SAS is MUCH better than IFS. I would never argue that. IFS works just fine, however, for most people. I doubt more than a handful of people on this site actually wheel trails where IFS cannot cut it.

Alignment will stay in if you get a rear brace, such as the one from Sonoran Steel. I can't believe that so few people buy that product. After putting that on my truck, my truck hasn't needed an alignment in a long time, and with Elripster's home alignment How To, it is a half hour to an hour to fix it if it does get out.

But you hit the nail on the head. Lockers and gears. In mine, I can lock up both ends, put both transfercases in low, and just guide the truck over obstacles without pressing the gas. Lots of control=lots of traction.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

...In mine, I can lock up both ends, put both transfercases in low, and just guide the truck over obstacles without pressing the gas. Lots of control=lots of traction.
= mixed feelings of admiration and envy from Tacoclimber...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM

yea i get hated on from people about my 2wd to, its not my fault i couldn't find a 4wd one while searching and i always wanted a 4runner so i wasn't to picky. i still can take it off-road and do just fine in mild stuff.

on the other side though i have had three of four people actually think mine was 4wd so i got a good smile out of it.

tell me how you like the spacer lift, i'm thinking about getting the same one as you to run 32s also.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM
LAW

Just get a sawzall and make em fit you wanted 32's you got 32's. I just bought a set of 35" Claws and knew they wouldn't fit but they do now.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM

yes, i did buy the daystar 2.5in front and rear coilover spacers. im putting them on tomorrow and im pretty stoked. when im done tomorrow, ill post some before and after pics so you can see what it looks like!

Originally Posted by Sloan
yea you sure they didnt give you some spacers? i know daystar is 2.5, was it that?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

probably you will wish you'd bought the 33".
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM

so how about them pics?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM

The guy came here to ask a question, and most replys were so negative, well, to the original poster, its your ride, lift it, it will look good and serve your needs. Coil lift is probably the best way to go, in the long run, but if the truck is something you may not end up keeping that long, go for a coil spacer lift, even a 1 inch body lift would help with the rub.

Good luck, and no question is ever a dumb question, just some of the replys are a waste of band width.