Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i herculined my bumpers this week....pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honestly... it's more bumpy than I'd like, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were your bumpers starting to rust out? It may make your bumpers last longer, but I personally don't like the look (not my style). It looks like your 4Runner is growing a beard. I would get rid of those nuts too....it's just kinda weird. There are just my opinions....as long as your happy with it it's all good.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Another victim of the "cool herculiner" bumper upgrade?? WTF?? A simple can of flat or semi gloss black would've been a better route IMO.. Maybe even some textured paint out of a rattle can? Might as well commit now, and continue the liner around the lower part of the doors... tie the gayness together.

I won't even respond to the disgrace you bring to the Toyota community dangling under the rear bumper..
Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Herciline the nutz
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM

"tie the gayness together"

Well I'll comment on the idiocy of your statement. Try to find another adjective to insult people and their taste. While I don't like the herculiner look (it's for preserving truck beds, why put it on your bumper and grill of all places?) or the fake nuts, to each their own.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
Not feeling the Herculiner on the bumpers or grille....
Sorry but, me neither.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should call the cops and tell them someone vandalized your 4Runner. Smeared it with something that you don't want to touch
Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Also I think you should polish out the orange peel.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM

LOL!!

Originally Posted by huntnfreak
Herciline the nutz
Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

why flesh tone? kinda creepy if you ask me.

neuter that thing before it breeds!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM

I wonder if the OP got Herculiner on the truck's Hootus.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by littledipper
thats cool dude
how much did it cost to do
it cost about $60 total for the herculiner, and about $40 for all the supplies including all the painting supplies, and grinding supplies. rather cheap mod if you ask me
Old 08-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Herculining the grille (emblem too) and the rear plastic bumper cover is a bit overkill IMO.
the reason i herculined the grill and plastic, is because the plastic on the front and rear was really weather damaged and it wasn't black anymore, it was more of a grayish white. it looked really bad. so thats why i decided to do the grille and plastic. i dont think that it looks overkill at all, ive never seen anyone else do it, and thats part of the reason that i did it, but like i said i really like it a lot, but thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by zlathim
Oh no you did not just show pictures of your rig with truck nutz. It's best to just opt out now. In a couple of years, come back, register with a different user-name, and play it cool. Maybe people will have forgotten and you can go on posting here. Sorry, but you posted the pics, not me.
ive been thinking about taking them off, all of my friends think that they are stupid, but mostly my wife hates them with a passion. she wont even ride in my runner with them on there. maybe ill take them off, and post some pics without them on there.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 AM

The Herculiner looks good. Although it seems out of place on your rig. I did my bumpers but I also did my flares and rocker panels so it looks like it's supposed to be there. I'd suggest getting fender flares to add some more black on your truck.

Oh....and the truck balls?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brianyaklin
ive been thinking about taking them off, all of my friends think that they are stupid, but mostly my wife hates them with a passion. she wont even ride in my runner with them on there. maybe ill take them off, and post some pics without them on there.
Dude, if you value that lady in anyway, shape or form, you should listen to her. She is trying to tell you something! Keep her happy and you will be totally amazed at what you can do to that truck, believe me!

Something to consider, the overall look you seem to be trying to go for here I understand, but consider the grille, if you could find another Toyota logo center piece, replace it or scrape the herculite off of the one you have and go with a flat lacquer. It will help to bring out the logo and soften up the look of the grille. NOt really a bad concept and I can understand the reason behind the rear being totally covered, I have seen some faded rear steps as well. You can bring them back with the right products, but it doesn't really look that bad.

Also, if you have the option, do some experimenting if you have photoshop and take some pics and "photoshop" the herculite along the rockers of the truck. Try different levels along the the entire sides and start out with about 6" up from the base of the rockers and work your way up the sides to find a level that would look really slick. A bit like how some Jeeps use diamond tread on their corners and base edges of the rockers. That way you can see what it would look like without having to actually do it. All in all not a bad idea, but those dingle berries gotta go!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah time to turn that bull into a steer.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 AM

I did my rocker panels just a little bit and it made a HUGE difference....

Before...

After...

Old 08-29-2008, 05:36 AM

In my opinion the herculiner on the bumpers and grill makes the truck look cheap, especially covering the Toyota emblem. Too heavily textured, certain to readily hold dust and dirt.

I had an 85 truck that I had gravel guard sprayed on all lower fenders & doors that matched the rest of the truck color and it looked much better than this project does.

For some odd reason I'm not akin to seeing the plastic dangling testicles either...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all good bro. I was just teasing a little bit. I do like the look, even the grill looks good IMO.

Quick Reply: i herculined my bumpers this week....pics