Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by algranger
lots of golden retrievers huh? nice.
anyways i dont know the 3.4 too well but maybe check the vacuum advance
huh? golden retrievers?????

anyway though, as I said, problem solved... same with OP, problem solved
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoa, great dude, im so glad you got this fixed... way to tell me when we were putting in your clutch number 2
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM

and yes... i am padding my posts with bs rambling
Old 01-17-2009, 03:42 PM

GatorTaco alrighty, so I found the problem. There is a pulley in front of the engine, attaching all the accessory belts, and a 19mm bolt holding it on. Apparently the bolt wasn't tightened correctly by the genius who did my timing belt. (not me) I found this out when the other night my power steering went out and my battery light came on, signaling an error in the alternator. I immediately got home and popped the hood- started the engine, and heard a horrible tapping coming from the pulley, which was also wobbling like crazy. I just tightened the pulley back down and all the problems went away lol.

Thanks to everybody who gave me ideas to help! I REALLY appreciate it!

-Chris

Hey out of curisioty which pulley was it? Was it the great big one down at the bottom of the engine? If so that that is your crank pulley. I think it is suppose to have around 265 ft. LBS. of pressure. If this is the pulley make sure you get it torqued to the spec. That bolt holds your crank in and it will begine to wobble. You will end up destroying your engine, along with your crank. What happens is your crank shaft begins to wobble and over time the shaft will become worn thus destroying it. Hope the one your describing is just one of the smaller ones that goes to either the water pump of the A/C ect.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

yep, it was the crank pulley. Which is why I am so glad it is fixed. Does that bolt hold the crank in, or is there another bolt that actually holds it in? I was thinking that that end of the crank shaft just held the pulleys on.

But either way, it is fixed now, hopefully no more damage caused by it, probably a little of course.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by GatorTaco
alrighty, so I found the problem. There is a pulley in front of the engine, attaching all the accessory belts, and a 19mm bolt holding it on. Apparently the bolt wasn't tightened correctly by the genius who did my timing belt. (not me) I found this out when the other night my power steering went out and my battery light came on, signaling an error in the alternator. I immediately got home and popped the hood- started the engine, and heard a horrible tapping coming from the pulley, which was also wobbling like crazy. I just tightened the pulley back down and all the problems went away lol.

Thanks to everybody who gave me ideas to help! I REALLY appreciate it!

-Chris

dude, this is the same problem i've got, and over a year ago i had the new crank pulley, crank, timing belt, and water pump installed, but now my rig doesn't rev past 4000 rpms. so just tightening the pulley solved all problems? and how hard was it to actually get a big torque wrench down in there to do it? b/c if this solves it all, then i'm going to autozone to rent a wrench and tighten that sucker up...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, should be able to get it from top or bottom (remove skid)....

mine was done when timing belt was replaced... so they found and fixed the issue, and let me know that was the reason it wouldn't go past 4k...

fix it NOW don't want to wait for something bad to happen
Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
yeah, should be able to get it from top or bottom (remove skid)....

mine was done when timing belt was replaced... so they found and fixed the issue, and let me know that was the reason it wouldn't go past 4k...

fix it NOW don't want to wait for something bad to happen
yeah, i sure don't want to buy anymore replacement engine parts, but i'll get at it ASAP...thanks for the info, as i hope just tightening it up will fix my problem...